All Star Game Rules

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

mzukerman
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

All Star Game Rules

Post by mzukerman »

Has anyone ever tried to run an all star game in their league? Some of the players have been talking about this for the LIBBL but there are issues like controlling other people's players and getting representation from all coaches, etc. Do players get SPPs? Can they die? Does it imbalance the league if the best players get even better?

Reason: ''
"I reserve the right to change my predictions when they are no longer true. I am The Media." ~ Snob Costas
libloodbowl on Twitter
Long Island Blood Bowl League
Empire Cup
dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Re: All Star Game Rules

Post by dode74 »

We do it at OFL; it's called the Pro Bowl and is run by Astrospider there. The 3 conferences vote for their players based on performance (as opposed to stats) within the following categories:

1 Big Guy (Beast of Nurgle, Blood Thirster, Kroxigor, Minotaur, Ogre, Troll, Treeman, Yhetee - TGs and Mummies are not in this category and can be nominated in any other category)
3 Bruisers (players specializing in hurting the opposition)
2 Defenders (players strong in defense, tackles and interceptions mainly)
3 Passers / Runners (the equivalent of QB/RB in (not real) football)
2 receivers (players that can catch the ball, make a play and score )
3 All-round (players that do not excel in any particular category, but are good in all of them)
2 wildcards (Free selection of the team coach, any non-big guy player, does not need to have been nominated)

The players are taken out of the league entirely for the match: MNGs don't keep them from playing, they earn no SPP or stats and cannot be hurt beyond the match. It's an exhibition match purely for fun.

The teams are coached by the losing coach from the conference final.

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

mzukerman wrote:Has anyone ever tried to run an all star game in their league? Some of the players have been talking about this for the LIBBL but there are issues like controlling other people's players and getting representation from all coaches, etc. Do players get SPPs? Can they die? Does it imbalance the league if the best players get even better?
Just to clarify, you are talking about games with Star Players?

Assuming so, we've never done it as we are a more-or-less straight rulebook group.... :-?

You might take a page from the BB Manager's game and group Stars likewise.... Being very much in experimental land, killing them is sorta handled through the rulebook (another "same" player steps in iirc) and there is no mechanism for determining at what point in their career they exist, as well as no point value associated (these would all need to be supplied by consensus)....

As the preacher said in Blazing Saddles: "Son, yer on yer own!"

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

I assumed from the "controlling other people's players" bit that he meant players from within the league as opposed to Star Players such as Morg.

mzukerman
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by mzukerman »

Yeah, dode nailed it. This is the best players from the season playing in an exhibition match. It only makes sense not to allow SPPs and injuries to count. Frankly, these players are better than everyone anyway so if they get even better, it's not good for the balance of the league.

I like your roster make-up too.

How would you handle the fact that most of the players would come from just a few teams? I'd be concerned that people wouldn't even care about the game if they didn't at least get one representative. Of course, we have 3 divisions with a total of 22 teams in the league so I'm not sure how we'd do that...

"I reserve the right to change my predictions when they are no longer true. I am The Media." ~ Snob Costas
libloodbowl on Twitter
Long Island Blood Bowl League
Empire Cup
dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

Well we have 20 teams representing each conference (16 in one of them - always looking for more Euro Cyanide players who want all the races and all the stars :D ) for a total of 56 teams, so we have the same issue but more so. We have a rivalry going on between conferences, which you may well have between your leagues, which adds a little frisson and keeps people interested. Might be worth having that round-robin go on between your three leagues so there's a point (inasmuch as there is ever a point other than having fun!).