Deep ones roster

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Linecoach Norcal
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Deep ones roster

Post by Linecoach Norcal »

Hello coaches, DaCrusha and I are continuing our playtesting and so far the roster seems to be holding up. It is definitely a challenging team to play, like playing Slann, and tests our dice rolling ability.
We have talked to other coaches and have decided that the Sharkman position should replace Claw with Mighty Blow. The super combo of Cl MB PO was just to obvious a choice for skilling up and MB works agianst low AV teams(i.e. Wood Elfs).
So our current line is:
0-16 Fishman 5/3/2/8- Two Heads
40k G
0-2 Octopusman 4/4/2/8- Prehensile Tail, Tentacle, Extra Arms 100k SG
0-2 Sharkman 6/4/2/8- Frenzy, Mighty Blow( no Claw)
110k SG
0-4 Anemone Diver 6/3/3/8- Hypnotic Gaze, Regeneration
80k AG
0-1 Crabman 4/5/1/9- Thick Skull, Claw, Side Step, Loner, Wild Animal, Two Heads( eye stalks) 140k S
Reroll: 60k
The thought on Two Heads for the Crabman is that some crabs have eye stalks and that it would make Break Takle an even more intersesting choice. Also giving them a skill like that really wont change much how coaches use them as they probably wouldnt dodge with them anyways.
We welcome all opions so please let us know.

Reason: ''
legowarrior
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by legowarrior »

I don't get the pricing on the Anemone Diver. 80k means that you get hypnotic Gaze for free. I realize the chance of success is low, but keep in mind that there is no risk of using it, and you can use after you move. It's similar to a very weak blitz that you can do 4 times a game, but without any chance of turn over.

Linecoach Norcal
Rookie
Rookie

Thanks for the input it is much appreciated

Pricing the Anemone at 80k was a nerf attempt to make it more viable. At 90k the stats and number of skills are the same as a Wight but not near as useful as the Wight becaus of Block. If compared to an Orc Blitzer at 80k you could say the Orc has +1AV instead of the Anemone's second skill. It is an intersting point to think you have extra "blitzes" with Hypnotic gaze to negate a players pressence but I think it could be said that even with Vampires using HP at AG4(after passing Bloodlust roll of ) it still can be unreliable. I know, I have played two seasons with them. Our original calculation was at 90k but have found that 80k worked better in team construction.
Of course this is all a work in progress and more playtesting is needed.

Linecoach Norcal
Rookie
Rookie

Hello coaches,

DaCrusha and I have decided to add the Deep Ones roster to our developement league to see how well they can progress. The roster will be our latest update but without the skill Two Heads for the Crabman. We found it really didnt fit and it wasnt necessary.
We will keep you updated and please continue with the great input.

legowarrior
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by legowarrior »

I think comparing any unit to the wight might get you off on the wrong footing. Remember, the Wight was purposefully cheaper than their points would suggestion. They are a good buy, much like the Saurus' are.

Why do the divers get regeneration anyway? I would give them 9 armor (because their giant helmet) take off regeneration, and call it a day.

Linecoach Norcal
Rookie
Rookie

It seems the Anemone Diver isnt easy to pin down. We used Jervis Johnson's formula as a guideline and compared the nerfing to other teams.For example the Wight, Orc Blitzer, and the Saurus all calculate right, while all the positions on the Dwarf team are nerfed by 10k. Its all part of the playtesting.
As for Regeneration, it seems to fit the fluff that anemones grow back. Of course the whole fluff for a miniature of a diver with little tentacles coming out its head is subjective at best. The Anemone Diver is set up as the ball handler( hence the 3AG compared to the rest) and we wanted to make their MA normal. The skills are just an attempt to make it interesting and different.
Thanks for all the input

legowarrior
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by legowarrior »

Jarvis doesnt have a point cost for hypnotic gaze though, does he? Why not use the updated point cost system that is out?

As to the cost of the divers, are you sure yoj are using hypnotic gaze correctly? Sure, three agility makes failure common, but a 50% chance of taking a black orc out of play till the opposing player activates him is pretty good. Heck, any corner guy with guard makes a prime target, since it knocks out guard.

Linecoach Norcal
Rookie
Rookie

The J.J. formula unfortunately doesnt distinguish between 'useful' skills and 'mediocre' skills. In the notes from J.J.'s formula he even says that sometimes you have to adjust the price as fits best and that its all a guideline. I am not familiar with the other formula but i will check into it.
A league-mate has also brought to my attetion that having four HpGz may be a bit much. Of course more playtesting is need but we have decided to try two rosters, one with 2 Anemone and one with 4. Maybe after figuring that, we would make a price change that fits better.
We appreciate all input.

legowarrior
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by legowarrior »

How about the formula pinned to the top of the New Concept section of the forum?

Linecoach Norcal
Rookie
Rookie

I will check that out. Thanks for the recommendation.

We are also open to suggestions for All Stars. Currently I think we will go with at least Morg and maybe Lizardman All Stars. If we find cool sea themed minis, Da Crusha and I might try to make some house rule All Stars or just use official All Stars that would best fit the mini.

Linecoach Norcal
Rookie
Rookie

Da Crusha and I have talked with the members in our Seaside League and after addressing some concerns have added the Deep ' Sea' Ones to our current season. With input from our league-mates the roster has been adjusted to something that is seen as more playable. The main concerns were the Sharkmen starting with MIBl (which in our game testing proved to be really beneficial). It was replaced by Jug. The octopusmen had PreTail removed because with Ten it was thought to be too much. The number of special position players was reduced to 0-2. After looking at the team maker formula in New Concepts the team cost was adjusted.

0-2 Sharkman 6/4/2/8- Frenzy, Jug 120k SG
0-2 Octopusman 4/4/2/8- Tentacke, Ex Arm 90k SG
0-2 Anemone Diver. 6/3/3/8- Reg, Hyp Gz 90k AG
0-16. Fishman 5/3/2/8- Two Heads 40k G
0-1 Crabman 4/5/1/9- ThkSkl, Claw, SidStp, Wld Ani,
Loner 140k S
We havent made up any All Stars yet for the Deep 'Sea' Ones so we are using the Lizardman list for now.
During preseason the team went 0-2,but after the first two weeks of regular season the team is 2-0. We will post more updates.

Linecoach Norcal
Rookie
Rookie

Hello coaches,
The Seaside season just ended and with the Deep 'Sea' Ones finishing with a 6-0-2(w-l-t) record, but losing to Da Crusha's Necromantic team 3-0 in the first round playoffs( bad coaching and dice rolling).
Overall the Deep Ones played well being very defensive but not scoring a lot. Tentacle and Hypnotic Gaze both were only mildly effective(some teams more than others) but Sharkmen with Frenzy and Juggernaut won a few games with pushing the ball carrier into the crowd on 'both down' rolls.
We are continuing to playtest the team and will look into increasing the Octopusman to MA 5 as it was found that getting them in good position to have Tentacle useful was very difficult especially after being knocked down on blocks.
Input is always welcomed.