Player Protection Insurance (PPI) + cash issues

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

dontcallmeflossy!
Experienced
Experienced

Player Protection Insurance (PPI) + cash issues

Post by dontcallmeflossy! »

Due to previous seasons in our league being beset by teams playing one game and then scrapping and re-writing due to an injury (which I personally hate... I'd much rather keep a team that has suffered 3 deaths in the first game and claw them back up for the whole narrative of the thing, and the fluff for the commentaries) I have introduced some extra rules to help cash-flow problems to get league teams off the ground.

We also have issues that some players like to keep the same teams between leagues, whereas some always like to start afresh with new teams, making match-ups more difficult or people just don't want to play. To overcome this too:

Firstly, the Underdog Bonus:

Difference in team rating: (*see possible amendments to this on reply a few posts down)
0-10 - + 10k +1UDB
11-20 - + 10k + 1 MVP +2UDB
21-30 - + 20k + 2 MVP +3UDB
31-50 - +30k + 2MVPs +4UDB
51-80 - +40k + 3MVPs +5UDB
81 + - +50k + 3MVPs +6UDB

As well as this, the league points work 10,5,1 for w,d,l, +1per TD and 1 per cas up to a max of 20 league points per game. The UDB is an Underdog Bonus modifier for league points, which are effectively just league points for turning up. Starting teams are much more likely to take part in the games against, for example, a team over 50TV above them if they know they get more winnings, lots of MVPS and 6 league points just for playing the game even if they don't manage a single cas or TD.
The brackets and bonuses are a bit more generous than I'd like, but this is how it's evolved over the years to work for the group of players we have.

Team Creation
The feeling was that we should use TV100 teams, but that it wasn't quite enough. The decision to give teams a starting FF of 4 for free seemed popular. It has a few effects: reduces the chance of being 2 fame down to a large team, more cash to spend on other things and more cash at the end of games (see below).

Winnings
As well as extra cash for UDB etc, teams get an extra 10k for 10k or more of their OWN fans that turn out to watch, or 20k for over 20k fans etc.

Sponsorships
More cash is also available through some of the sponsorship deals (see other thread)

Player Protection Insurance
Teams get 10k insurance pay-outs for players killed in action for every 70k of player value, or part there-of. (This made for some great commentaries when we started with this... especially my Chaos Dwarf Team who had 4 players die in their first two matches! The apothecary twice ended up turning a stat decrease to a death by running in and finishing the player off so we could claim the PPI, and a third player (Minister for Control Populate Glorious Nation Zharr-Naggrund, Ivana Kutchakokov) refused to come back to the team until they had fixed her ceremonial hat of office! (-1AV for the dented hat, and had to save up funds to buy a new one... more fun that just replacing the player as she had 0spp anyway so it didn't matter!)

These modifications have helped the cash to build up more quickly for teams that have lost their opening games and since we have used these we haven't had a single team scrap and re-spawn. 8)

Reason: ''
My bunny is enraged and I cannot hold him back!
voyagers_uk
Da Cynic
Location: Nice Red Uniforms and Fanatical devotion to the Pope!

Re: Player Protection Insurance (PPI) + cash issues

Post by voyagers_uk »

I would look to cap use of this at 3 games into a season, otherwise you are reintroducing handicaps (of a sort), which are kind of unbalanced.

Ikterus wrote: But for the record, play Voyagers_UK if you have the chance. He's cursed! :P
dontcallmeflossy!
Experienced
Experienced

voyagers_uk wrote:I would look to cap use of this at 3 games into a season, otherwise you are reintroducing handicaps (of a sort), which are kind of unbalanced.
tbh, I completely agree! (Although your idea of capping it to a set number of games would work well - could even introduce it as a percentage of TV thing, so the difference between a starting team + experienced team or two experienced team would be less)

The set-up we tend to have for our league that we run at a university is a set of experienced regular players and a pile of complete nOObs. Part of the idea of this is to support them and make them feel like they're getting something from the games to keep them coming back for more!

I certainly wouldn't suggest using something this extreme / unbalanced for a regular group of experienced players but it works well for us and our set-up to keep everyone happy.

Just really a few different ideas that people might be able to pick, choose and modify to make work for them and their league set-ups.

If nothing else, the PPI has been popular and good for fluff. :smoking:

dontcallmeflossy!
Experienced
Experienced

Been thinking about the UDB table and how to adapt it - (you are absolutely right! Thanks for the feedback!) :)

Rather than an all or nothing (cut off completely after game three) I was thinking a gradual decline in UnderDog Bonus would work well and also work better from a fluff perspective - and would stop, for example, a TV 180 team getting too much extra against a TV200 team when there's not as much difference between the two teams at that sort of level. (Not an issue for the TVs that tend to be reached in our league before the end of the season as most people start new teams with the influx of new students / recruits).

Perhaps it would work well if you use the table as posted for the first two games after team creation, but then use it with a -1 to all bonuses from game 4 onwards (10k less, 1MVP less and 1 UDB less than the full bonuses for game 4, 20k, 2MVPs and 2UDB less for game 5 etc). That way you still get some bonus for a while for playing massive teams, but not as much and it dwindles the more games the team plays and the more experienced the coaches get (so it will still support brand new players while they find their feet).

That would also fit better with the fluff - fans would likely appreciate a brand new team taking on the might of an experienced team more than a team that has already played 5 games.

Just an idea that should work a lot better for other people (and possibly a positive change for us too!) if you wanted to use something similar?