SPPs for participation.

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

feeder
Experienced
Experienced
Location: Hatching a dastardly plan, like a bird with a dastardly egg.

SPPs for participation.

Post by feeder »

When I started this glorious game, I was surprised there isn't a SPP award for "survived match". Similar team building games like Necromunda and Mordheim feature this.

Would a 1 SPP award be too much for each player that takes the field per match?

Reason: ''
Darkson
Da Spammer

Re: SPPs for participation.

Post by Darkson »

Many (many!) years ago this was tried out: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1721 (see Acerak's posts on p.2)
I'm not sure if this was the final version or not, but the gist is right. In the end this was nixed by JJ as he though that (up to) 16 dice rolls at the end of the game was to many. :roll:
I've used it in a couple of online leagues and a couple of TT ones and I really liked them.

One suggestion I would add though is that if it's a short-term league keep the MVP roll but make it 3 or D3 SPP instead of 5.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
fidius
Experienced
Experienced

Post by fidius »

Darkson wrote:Many (many!) years ago this was tried out: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1721 (see Acerak's posts on p.2)I'm not sure if this was the final version or not, but the gist is right. In the end this was nixed by JJ as he though that (up to) 16 dice rolls at the end of the game was to many. I've used it in a couple of online leagues and a couple of TT ones and I really liked them.
That's an extremely interesting thread. Curious what Galak thinks of the idea these days, he seemed pretty supportive of it back then.

voyagers_uk
Da Cynic
Location: Nice Red Uniforms and Fanatical devotion to the Pope!

SPPs for participation.

Post by voyagers_uk »

It was an interesting idea, I couldn't sell my league mates on rolling all the dice though. If one of the platforms automated it that would save time for testing

Ikterus wrote: But for the record, play Voyagers_UK if you have the chance. He's cursed! :P
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

fidius wrote:
Darkson wrote:Many (many!) years ago this was tried out: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1721 (see Acerak's posts on p.2)I'm not sure if this was the final version or not, but the gist is right. In the end this was nixed by JJ as he though that (up to) 16 dice rolls at the end of the game was to many. I've used it in a couple of online leagues and a couple of TT ones and I really liked them.
That's an extremely interesting thread. Curious what Galak thinks of the idea these days, he seemed pretty supportive of it back then.
I liked it ... but I had one major issue with it. I honestly cannot stand any off pitch roll that can kill a player (or remove stats so that the player pretty much has to be retired). I think off pitch destruction of a team removes a lot of fun from the player. So if you removed the Aging component from the rules ... I thought they were pretty good. Players need to die from wounds on the field.

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

voyagers_uk wrote:If one of the platforms automated it that would save time for testing
It is an automated option in the PBeM software. One of the LRB test leagues that used PBeM used the rules.

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
fidius
Experienced
Experienced

Post by fidius »

GalakStarscraper wrote:I liked it ... but I had one major issue with it. I honestly cannot stand any off pitch roll that can kill a player (or remove stats so that the player pretty much has to be retired). I think off pitch destruction of a team removes a lot of fun from the player. So if you removed the Aging component from the rules ... I thought they were pretty good. Players need to die from wounds on the field.
I agree and I think most players would as well. Which is why I think the idea might fly if the penalty was some combination of Niggles and MNGs only. Niggles make a player more fragile on-field (satisfying your reservations), potential MNGs make them irritating to have on the team (especially in a set schedule or playoff format). The EXP mechanism handles this pretty nicely imo. Granted, under the current rules many players fire Niggled players... But under a revamped ruleset, with the killy nature of CPOMB decreased, it might be more palatable to keep a Niggle, or even multiples.

MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Post by MattDakka »

GalakStarscraper wrote: I think off pitch destruction of a team removes a lot of fun from the player. So if you removed the Aging component from the rules ... I thought they were pretty good. Players need to die from wounds on the field.
I think that excessive on pitch destruction of a team removes a lot of fun from the match.
Removing Ageing led to the clawpomb nightmare we have now, and, if a League has not a right amount of clawpomb teams, Orcs and Dwarfs tend to dominate it (while a good Ageing rule could prevent this, since high AV players, in absence of Clawpomb, are going to live longer than most of other BB teams' players).

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

if a League has not a right amount of clawpomb teams, Orcs and Dwarfs tend to dominate it
Evidence?

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

I should point out that when that thread was written, ageing was still in anyway, and niggles meant a player missed a game on a pre-match roll of a 1.

We did try Exp with an ageing component, but just with MNG, Niggles, Bonehead (player gained it) and Punch Drunk (player might switch sides), but I can't recall the numbers we used and can't find the old league rules.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
fidius
Experienced
Experienced

Post by fidius »

I like that definition of niggles, but it might work better if both mechanisms were in place: pre-game d6:1=mng, and +1 to Injury. Or maybe +1 to Injury and BH=MNG, MNG=2 games, something like that.

Another idea would be to give 1 EXP (and therefore 1 SPP) to a player *receiving* an injury. This represents wear-and-tear on the player, advancing the aging process. Also gives free points to low-AV teams, AV7 linos in particular.

Then the hitting coach can say, "That'll learn ya!" and it will, you know, mean something. 8)

adhansa
Experienced
Experienced

Post by adhansa »

I think a good option would be that you after each match can give out 1 spp to 2 different players of your own choice and to compensate get rid of SPP for passing and lowering MVP to 4.