Creating a few Star Players (opinions needed)

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

connexion
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Creating a few Star Players (opinions needed)

Post by connexion »

To make things simple, let's say that, after painting a couple of non-BB miniatures, I thought I would like to use them in BB as well. And what better way of doing so than creating new star players to fit the look of the minis in question? I have 3 already painted and they inspired the following for which I would like to have some opinions and comments:

Will-O'-The-Wisp
6 1 4 7
Loner, Stunty, Titchy, Block, Dodge, Hypnotic Gaze, No Hands, Regeneration
Cost to hire: 150k
=> the model is a spectral shade/wraith. The player would be a mist/ethereal (hence the block/dodge/stunty/titchy/ST1/no hands combo) and, true to its name, would hypnotise players. Regen because it's an Undead creature and to compensate for the total lack of ball handling. He should be good at disrupting cages and giving assists but not much else.

Serval Martense
6 3 3 7
Loner, Bloodlust, Frenzy, Juggernaut, Claws, Mighty Blow
=> an old-school d&d Wight, he does look like a bloodthirsty lunatic. Can be a liability but desperate times... Too expensive? Give him MA7 instead?

Tamaëlla Hawkwind
6 3 4 7
Loner, Bonehead, Secret Weapon, Accurate, Strong Arm, Hail Mary Pass, Disturbing Presence, Safe Throw
=> a greebo Sylvania line elf holding a hawk. The idea for this one is of a falconer/thrower who, instead of throwing the ball, has it flown to target by the bird. Accurate and strong arm for the bird's accuracy at delivering the ball; Hail Mary for the difficulty of controlling the bird for distances greater than long bomb; safe throw because, well, how do you intercept a bird?; sometimes the bird gets temperamental hence the bone-head; the hawk can disturb passes, catches and interceptions; taking a hawk to the pitch may not be a chainsaw but it's still against the rules and considered a secret weapon.

"Oi! That's no Troll!"
4 4 1 8
Loner, Decay, Dirty Player, Piling On, Regeneration
Cost to hire: 180k
=> you know the willy miniatures goblin & skaven with a troll mask? Decay because it's 2 idiots pretending to be a big guy; dirty player because one of them is a goblin; piling on "because" and Regen because, if one of the idiots gets seriously wounded, there's always an another idiot in the audience to "take up the mantle.

Note that my idea with these is that they can be used by any team and I am mostly interested in player cost evaluations.

Model discussion in this thread

EDIT: changed points cost and name of "fake troll" to Turncoat Troll

Reason: ''
babass
Super Star
Super Star

Re: Creating a few Star Players (opinions needed)

Post by babass »

i like this one :lol:
"Oi! That's no Troll!"
4 4 2 8
=> you know the Turncoat Bowl miniatures goblin & skaven with a troll mask? Decay because it's 2 idiots pretending to be a big guy; dirty player because one of them is a goblin; piling on "because" and Regen because, if one of the idiots gets seriously wounded, there's always an another idiot in the audience to "take up the mantle.

connexion
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by connexion »

babass wrote:i like this one :lol:
"Oi! That's no Troll!"
4 4 2 8
=> you know the Turncoat Bowl miniatures goblin & skaven with a troll mask? Decay because it's 2 idiots pretending to be a big guy; dirty player because one of them is a goblin; piling on "because" and Regen because, if one of the idiots gets seriously wounded, there's always an another idiot in the audience to "take up the mantle.
I stand corrected on the Turncoat Bowl bit. Still made by Willy. :-P

Thinking of adding bonehead (as the 2 idiots not always coordinate!), dropping AG to 1 (not easy to run around carrying someone and on someone's back holding a troll mask!) and pricing it at 150kgc. Any thoughts?

And the others?

Fassbinder75
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Fassbinder75 »

I like the Will O' the Wisp, I think he'd be cool and annoying if he had Disturbing Presence as well.

Serval Martense is a bit like Crazy Igor, who is a walking turnover. This guy is even worse, you should get extra inducement money for fielding him!

Hawkwind is okay, a very good but narrow skill set. Having a bird fly the ball around doesn't seem very Blood Bowl to me, but thats just a fluff thing.

I like the fake troll, without comparing prices I imagine he'd be a 180-220k price range.

minimakeovers.wordpress.com
adhansa
Experienced
Experienced

Post by adhansa »

Decay is sorta pointless right?

connexion
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by connexion »

adhansa wrote:Decay is sorta pointless right?
Assuming you're talking about Decay on the Turncoat Troll, I'd say it's there because it's 2 people, hence 2 injury rolls. Other than that, just for kicks.
Fassbinder75 wrote:I like the Will O' the Wisp, I think he'd be cool and annoying if he had Disturbing Presence as well.

Serval Martense is a bit like Crazy Igor, who is a walking turnover. This guy is even worse, you should get extra inducement money for fielding him!

Hawkwind is okay, a very good but narrow skill set. Having a bird fly the ball around doesn't seem very Blood Bowl to me, but thats just a fluff thing.

I like the fake troll, without comparing prices I imagine he'd be a 180-220k price range.
Not too keen on the DP on the Will-O'-The-Wisp to be honest. According to folklore, one has to look at the will-o'-the-wisp to be hypnotized. If it was a banshee, then the DP would make sense. :-)

Any sugestions for making Serval Martense more playable or enticing? Perhaps give him Mighty Blow (i.e. having extra sharp claws & fangs)? Want to keep him a bloodthirsty lunatic like the image above.

"Having a bird fly the ball around doesn't seem very Blood Bowl to me, but thats just a fluff thing" - considering all the wackyness that you can find in normal teams (pogo sticks come to mind) and in the inducement cards, why the hell not? Screw fluff or build your own, say I. Other than that, the referees agree with you, that's why she's a Secret Weapon and gets sent off. :D

180K for the Turncoat Troll doesn't seem too excessive.

Fold
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Fold »

The model for Serval Martense looks more like a Ghoul than a Wight, so MV 7 makes sense and then if there is a need to make him better (on which I can't really comment), you can justify Dodge as well.

connexion
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by connexion »

Fold wrote:The model for Serval Martense looks more like a Ghoul than a Wight, so MV 7 makes sense and then if there is a need to make him better (on which I can't really comment), you can justify Dodge as well.
For the record, this is what a D&D wight looked like way back when and the colour scheme was inspired by H.P. Lovecraft's devolved humans in "The Lurking Fear". BB imaginary and fluff aside (I have zero problems with making up my own fluff and disregarding existing story canon), my idea with this Star Player is for him to be a point-and-click killer but an unreliable one at that. Dodge may make him more playable but makes me think that leap could be an interesting option instead. MA7 might be worth considering as well.

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Guard on the Willo, to make it actually useful? Sidestep to make it super powerful, maybe. NB Ag 4 = Ag3 in terms of dodging once you have Stunty/Titchy, apart from Tail/DivTack considerations.

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
connexion
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by connexion »

sann0638 wrote:NB Ag 4 = Ag3 in terms of dodging once you have Stunty/Titchy, apart from Tail/DivTack considerations.
Yes but AG4 means he Hypno Gazes on 3+. Of course, with AG 5 he'd gaze on a 2+ but then everyone would cry foul and the cost would go through the roof! ;-)

Side Step is overkill and Guard doesn't fit what I see for it which is a disrupting Hypno Gazer.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Guard is a big no-no on Stars.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Steam Ball
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Steam Ball »

Darkson wrote:Guard is a big no-no on Stars.
You say that and then leaves us wondering the reasons. Bad Darkson.

Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

Presumably worse than tackle on stars...

Fassbinder75
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Fassbinder75 »

connexion wrote: "Having a bird fly the ball around doesn't seem very Blood Bowl to me, but thats just a fluff thing" - considering all the wackyness that you can find in normal teams (pogo sticks come to mind) and in the inducement cards, why the hell not? Screw fluff or build your own, say I. Other than that, the referees agree with you, that's why she's a Secret Weapon and gets sent off. :D
OK my perspective is that most of the inducements have a clear football or football related theme. Potions = steroids, lunatic fans turned star players, dodgy stadium food etc... a bird, not so much - but it's your thing and I won't harsh your mellow.

I think Martense could use Mighty Blow. He's a ST3, AV7 blockless lunatic - its appropriate he comes on and flames out after a bit of damage maybe.

minimakeovers.wordpress.com
connexion
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by connexion »

Fassbinder75 wrote: - but it's your thing and I won't harsh your mellow.
Spoken like a gentleman, sir!

MB added to Serval Martense. What do you think of eventually giving him Leap? And points cost?