Why isn’t Fend an Agility Skill?

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Re: Why isn’t Fend an Agility Skill?

Post by spubbbba »

Rolex wrote:My opinion is that fend+side step is a very powerful combination.
That would make stunty better than what they are supposed to be (which is bad).
I think that if fend was an agility skill, it would be my first or second choice for any stunty.
I dunno, even if fend was made an agility skill that is still 40TV on a stunty, at doubling the cost for a goblin. I'm not sure that is worth it when they only come into play after getting hit.

Fend is very much a mid-level skill, useful to have but usually not worth the TV or passed over in favour of better skills. If it was moved to agility it would be even less common amongst players that also had access to general skills. It may get slightly more popular with stunities.

Reason: ''
My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Post by MattDakka »

The best players to put on LOS on defence are the unskilled ones, you don't want to risk a skilled played, (even if it's a lineman) when you can use cheap rookie fodder.
Off topic but related to Fend: I think that Fend should prevent Piling On even when a Both Down is rolled, then it would be more useful.
Now to protect reasonably a player from PO you need to have Block/Wrestle and Fend, this makes the fodder linemen too expensive for their task.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

MattDakka wrote:This makes the fodder linemen too expensive for their task.
Only for the way you play, where TV efficiency is king.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Post by MattDakka »

Darkson wrote:
MattDakka wrote:This makes the fodder linemen too expensive for their task.
Only for the way you play, where TV efficiency is king.
I play in a private league and TV efficiency is king there too.
:D For example having a slim TV Khemri team means that you don't have to face a Wizard often.

plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

I'm curious how one might hold off an attacker without some use of physicality.
So 'hold' means/requires physicality?
I'm quite happy to let that argument speak for itself.

Cheers
Martin

Narrow Tier BB? http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/NTBB.htm
Or just visit http://www.plasmoids.dk instead
dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

So 'hold' means/requires physicality?
That's what I asked you - it was a question, not an argument. How do you hold someone off without physicality?

Fassbinder75
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Fassbinder75 »

I see the classification of G skills as technique based (Frenzy being a notable exception), while S & A are refinements of a player's natural attributes. Wrestle, Fend, Block, Tackle all seem coach-able to me.

I also think G is between S & A on the 'strength' scale.

minimakeovers.wordpress.com
charlesanakin
Rookie
Rookie

Post by charlesanakin »

As a former football player the RL comparison to stiff-arm rings false as a stiff-arm is used by a ball carrier to keep a tackler at bay. While that is a possible application of the Fend skill it's much more infrequent. Fend is much more akin to a RL football move of a hand punch. You hit the opponent hard in the right spot to stun them slightly and briefly stop their progress. Fend sounds cooler though.
As far as the debate over whether its agilty or strength? I can see both sides but translating RL football experience this is by far a technique skill. Some 190lbs RBs are quite proficient at stonewalling (oh, that might be an even cooler name-> Stonewalling) 250lbs LBs, others are not). That's based on skill and heart though both strength and agility can help.
Btw this skill could be interpreted many ways, as the strength to hold an opponent at bay or as the ability to bounce off or jump back from contact.

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

the ability to bounce off or jump back from contact.
I'd agree, but what the skill does is prevent the other player from following up even if he wants to (unless he has the strength - juggs - to do so anyway). To that end it isn't so much about how you personally move but about what you do to have an effect on the other player. I just can't really see a way to do that consistently without some sort of physicality - convincing people in some manner will only work so often!

I'm not arguing for it to be a S skill, btw: I think it is technique and muscle together which does this. This seems mostly technique-based to me.

Sword of Solkan
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Sword of Solkan »

Fair enough, I can see this idea’s been given a massive thumbs down. I had no idea that the Fend skill was based on a real-life football manoeuvre.

At a broader level, it might be interesting to give stunties access to a broader range of skills (perhaps their own skill group, to complement agility). This could emphasise the distinct character of their teams as something other than an inferior flavour of elf and give coaches more of an incentive to retain skilled players.

The Audacity of Hop [Slann] - 3/1/1 (W/L/D)
Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

Fend always stopping pile on is a nice idea though.

fidius
Experienced
Experienced

Post by fidius »

Turtle (A): After a block has been declared against this player, but before block dice are rolled, player may choose to be placed prone in his square, ending the block action.

Hehehe

Glowworm

Post by Glowworm »

fidius wrote:Turtle (A): After a block has been declared against this player, but before block dice are rolled, player may choose to be placed prone in his square, ending the block action.

Hehehe
+20K for Jump up....now my Gobbo's never get blocked and can move next turn, 40K for that level of protection is a bargain!! :wink:

Sword of Solkan
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Sword of Solkan »

fidius wrote:Turtle (A): After a block has been declared against this player, but before block dice are rolled, player may choose to be placed prone in his square, ending the block action.

Hehehe
Dwarves would hate that (although, of course, that doesn't mean it's a bad thing... :) ) I can also see turtling players getting fouled a lot.

Maybe tweak it so the attacker still moves forward, and the defender goes prone in one of the squares they'd normally have been pushed back to?

The Audacity of Hop [Slann] - 3/1/1 (W/L/D)
feeder
Experienced
Experienced
Location: Hatching a dastardly plan, like a bird with a dastardly egg.

Post by feeder »

Hehehe
That's pretty clearly broken, but based on the snickering I suspect you know that. I like the idea though. How about Turtle gives the defender AV9 for the turn but is placed prone regardless of the outcome of the Block?