Armor 9 Elfs

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Bakunin
Star Player
Star Player

Armor 9 Elfs

Post by Bakunin »

Does anyone have rules for an armor 9 elf roster?

Reason: ''
Galak 3:16 says "There is a point in time that a player really should read the rulebook."
Pipey
Rapdog - formally known as Pippy
Location: King John's Tavern, The Square Mile, West Hartlepool

Re: Armor 9 Elfs

Post by Pipey »

My buddy Stick_with_poo_on_the_end does. PM him!

UK Team Challenge IX — 24-25 August 2024

Go to: www.bbuktc.com
Don__Vito
Legend
Legend

Post by Don__Vito »

https://fumbbl.com/help:IthilmarE

Not my work, but great stuff. It's being play tested in a tabletop league now by Mr Stick.

Fassbinder75
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Fassbinder75 »

Any feedback on their performance? I always thought this roster was interesting.

minimakeovers.wordpress.com
plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

Interesting that the link is called Ithilmar Elves, while the team title is Sea Elves.

Way back in the day, my (heavily house ruled) league had the High Elf team roster changed with a simple AV+, MA-. Back then, PiOn was 'add strength to the armor roll' and PiOn was very popular, so AV9 wasn't all that awesome. We had several coaches do 50 game seasons with them, and they were fun, but a touch weaker than the other Elf sides.

At same point, after online nagging, we dubbed them Ithilmar Elves to explain the AV.

I used that line-up in a 13 round tournament under CRP(+) rules, and the team did very well. Perhaps not broken. Perhaps. But certainly needlessly strong.

I still think the concept can work. But after that tournament I ended up with a roster that I'm mor comfortable with. I'll post it here when I get a chance to seance my old computer. But they're AV8 linemen, with AV9 blitzers and Throwers.

Cheers
Martin

Narrow Tier BB? http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/NTBB.htm
Or just visit http://www.plasmoids.dk instead
gregory_n_white
Experienced
Experienced

Post by gregory_n_white »

5 3 4 9 Blodge linos and 5 3 4 9 Blodge Guard blitzers looks fairly terrifying.

Just like dwarves - but faster, a passing/ball handling game and unable to tie them down easily.

fidius
Experienced
Experienced

Post by fidius »

Plasmoid, you hit on a great point, which any future rules edits will need to address: AV9 is pretty overpowered in CRP, even with Claw. And AV7 is pretty horrible. Bringing those extremes in somewhat would be a welcome change imo.

Anyway I agree with gnw, AG4+AV9 is borderline ridiculous. If it is ever mainstreamed, it should be given a cost premium similar to blodge, or S+A access, or having ST4 and AG4 on the same roster.

stick_with_poo_on_the_end
has a big box

Post by stick_with_poo_on_the_end »

Trust me . They are NOT overpowered. Good, yes . But far from top tier.

Will post my finding ls later (when I don't have Baby on my arm !

Word to Your Mother.
Fassbinder75
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Fassbinder75 »

fidius wrote:Plasmoid, you hit on a great point, which any future rules edits will need to address: AV9 is pretty overpowered in CRP, even with Claw. And AV7 is pretty horrible. Bringing those extremes in somewhat would be a welcome change imo.

Anyway I agree with gnw, AG4+AV9 is borderline ridiculous. If it is ever mainstreamed, it should be given a cost premium similar to blodge, or S+A access, or having ST4 and AG4 on the same roster.
Steady on guv. When was the last time you rolled a 10 and took the AV? AG4 is deadly because elves generally have the speed to exploit it. This team is slow and not really bashy at all to compensate. It would need a lot of discipline to play well, probably in a sort of phalanx style. Seems cool.

gregory_n_white
Experienced
Experienced

Post by gregory_n_white »

Steady on guv. When was the last time you rolled a 10 and took the AV? AG4 is deadly because elves generally have the speed to exploit it. This team is slow and not really bashy at all to compensate. It would need a lot of discipline to play well, probably in a sort of phalanx style. Seems cool.
My view is that most of these players would be blodge in fairly short order - so hard to knock down and when you do you wont hurt them. And you cant tie up their cage because they will move away on 2+ (generally with dodge rerolls).

At least against dwarves you can easily tie them up or catch them out of position. These elves have the AG and dodge and at least move 5 - So you cant outbash them, and cant out position then.

Id love to play them.

Rolex
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Rolex »

The only "good" answer to ag 4 is beating the crap out of them.

I don't think they are a "fun team". They are extremely competitive.
And very frustrating for your opponent.
Maybe non the "best" team, but close.
AV 8 elves (Dark and High) are top 5 teams in perpetual leagues.

AV9 blodgers are nightmereish. And if they roll some doubles for guard....
No player in the whole of bb can be an AV9 blodger with normal rolls.
Maybe there is a reason for that....

I agree that on a single player +1 MA is better then +1 AV.
But on a team it's just the opposite (league wise).
The same goes for some skills, that are very good when spammed and a lot less on one player.

plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

As I said, the version I prefer comes with AV8 linemen.

That said, playing elves with low speed isn't all roses. For example being unable to score in 1 turn, and having a hard time scoring in 2 makes it rough when someone manages to stall you out.

Also, the comparison to dwarfs is fairly far fetched. I mean - they're exactly like dwarfs... except for Block, Tackle, Thick skull, Guard and Mighty Blow on everyone. They don't overpower you with guard and don't Pound you into the ground. Totally different team.

Cheers
Martin

Narrow Tier BB? http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/NTBB.htm
Or just visit http://www.plasmoids.dk instead
fidius
Experienced
Experienced

Post by fidius »

plasmoid wrote:Also, the comparison to dwarfs is fairly far fetched. I mean - they're exactly like dwarfs... except for Block, Tackle, Thick skull, Guard and Mighty Blow on everyone. They don't overpower you with guard and don't Pound you into the ground. Totally different team.
I can imagine -- but wouldn't the team lead to games that feel like Stevie Wonder and Helen Keller playing tennis? Endless LOVE? Sure they stay on the pitch and can't be hit, so their defense (if well-played) is awesome, but they lack the speed to take it the other way. On offense they lack the Guard and bash skills to punch holes, so rely almost entirely on incremental yardage, if that. They might not play the same as dwarves, but they could be more boring than dwarves. And that's saying something. (Total conjecture of course.)

But mainly I don't see how heavy armour and high agility can go together from a roleplay ("fluff" -- ugh) perspective. I know some time has been spent justifying it with the Ithilmar backgrounding, but I don't really buy it.

Fassbinder75
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Fassbinder75 »

fidius wrote: On offense they lack the Guard and bash skills to punch holes, so rely almost entirely on incremental yardage, if that. They might not play the same as dwarves, but they could be more boring than dwarves. And that's saying something. (Total conjecture of course.)

But mainly I don't see how heavy armour and high agility can go together from a roleplay ("fluff" -- ugh) perspective. I know some time has been spent justifying it with the Ithilmar backgrounding, but I don't really buy it.
The Grab will help with hole punching. And being a Sea Elf team, a little surfing via blitzing Catchers could be handy way to remove opposing models from the pitch once the Blockers have set them up.

garion
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by garion »

fidius wrote:But mainly I don't see how heavy armour and high agility can go together from a roleplay ("fluff" -- ugh) perspective. I know some time has been spent justifying it with the Ithilmar backgrounding, but I don't really buy it.
Read 3rd ed warhammer fluff (and WFRP from that era), it is where this roster comes from really, that and the snippets of info on sea elf teams during 2nd ed bb. to save you some time sea elves (when not at sea) live on the outskirts of Ulthuan and are VERY battle hardened from all the attempted invasions etc... they are the most heavily armoured elves and so on....

all the teams in those pages come from BB fluff first then 3rd ed warhammer as the secondary main source as that is where all GW really originates.

But anyway, try it out, its a fun roster, and far from top tier, although the sound of av9 and ag4 on the same roster sounds broken as hell, it is the high Ma coupled with ag that makes elves so insanely good in this edition. with low ma you will not be racking up big scores and you don't have the Ma to cover for poor positioning. They are a really tricky team to use effectively.