New skills you would add?

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Chris
Legend
Legend

Re: New skills you would add?

Post by Chris »

Afroman wrote:
frogboy wrote:Feed Only players with the Always Hungry skill may use Feed. The perpetual thrashing his coach has given him means this Big Guy has finally realised that eating the opponents players is good too.
When an opponents player with The Right Stuff skill is in the tackle zone of a Big Guy with the Feed skill the Big Guy may use his action to try and eat the Stunty little git. The Stunty may attempt an out of sequence dodge to any free adjacent square if he fails then the Big Guy eats him in the same way as in the Always Hungry skill. Feeding players may Blitz with this skill instead of blocking.
Feed is evil!
One Dodge away from dying seems a bit brutal!
How about restrain him to only block actions? That way there is the choice of not putting your most valuable RS-player next to him.
I think it should be an AG test. Roll a dice, add the Feed player AG to the roll, subtract the target players AG. If the result is a 4+, wolf him down!

Failing that the stunty can make a dodge at +2 (so dodging on a 2+), meaning the troll really should get tackle...

Reason: ''
Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

Came up with one tonight during a game.

Switch (P)
This player may continue to move after handing off or passing the ball as part of an action.

League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

That's very nice. It's super marginal, so would have to be a starting skill on a new team or player. But great concept.

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

Would be nice on a player with dump off like a dark elf runner. Would make dump off feel more like how he normally throws the ball!

Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

Thanks Chaps. And I agree with you Chris, though obviously there's no synergy between the two skills (I appreciate that's not what youre saying, but for clarity's sake :))

League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co
rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

In my first Blood Bowl league, we didn't really read or understand the rules, and we allowed a player to "take" a handoff as an action. A player moves next to the ball carrier, rolls to catch the ball, becomes the ball carrier, and continues moving.

Nobody questioned this, partly because only a slim minority of us actually owned a rulebook, and fewer still read it. But also because this makes sense. Anyone who has watched Football (I mean real football, sorry brits), recognizes that this is how handoffs work.

Of course it's a completely wrong rule interpretation, as I found out when I played my first Blood Bowl tournament (I went 0-3!), but this opened up some interesting options and fun tricks on offense.

I can't imagine it ever becoming a real rule, but since this is just a fun thread about fun skills which we'll never see in a game anyway:

Ready Handoff (Passing)
The player has practiced handing off the ball and his timing is impeccable. If he announces a hand-off action, he moves as normal but may delay the hand-off until any point during the current turn. He must hand off the ball to an adjacent friendly player. This does not end the receiving player's movement.

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Snatch: This player is adept at grabbing the ball from the hands of players, team-mates and opposition alike. During a Move action if the player is adjacent to the ball carrier they may Snatch the ball. If the ball carrier is a team-mate the Snatch player makes a Catch roll. If passed, they now have the ball and may continue their Move. If the ball carrier is an opponent, each coach rolls a D6 and adds the players ST or AG (coaches choice), and the ball carrier adds +1 if they have Sure Hands. If the ball carrier wins, the hold on to the ball and the Snatch players action is over. If the Snatch player wins then the ball is scattered from the ball carrier, and then may continue their action.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

I think there could be some more strength skills as big guys are a little limited, here's one I just thought of...

Sleeper Hold Instead of making a block action this turn your player may instead choose to put a sleeper hold on one player in its tackle zone. Both opponents roll a D6 and add their Strength. If you beat your opponents score then their player is stunned in addition if you beat the opponents score and roll a natural 6 on the same D6 then the opponents player is KO'ed. If your opponent wins your players action ends.

I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

rolo wrote:In my first Blood Bowl league, we didn't really read or understand the rules, and we allowed a player to "take" a handoff as an action. A player moves next to the ball carrier, rolls to catch the ball, becomes the ball carrier, and continues moving.

Nobody questioned this, partly because only a slim minority of us actually owned a rulebook, and fewer still read it. But also because this makes sense. Anyone who has watched Football (I mean real football, sorry brits),
Stopped reading at this point :P

Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

Darkson wrote:Snatch: This player is adept at grabbing the ball from the hands of players, team-mates and opposition alike. During a Move action if the player is adjacent to the ball carrier they may Snatch the ball. If the ball carrier is a team-mate the Snatch player makes a Catch roll. If passed, they now have the ball and may continue their Move. If the ball carrier is an opponent, each coach rolls a D6 and adds the players ST or AG (coaches choice), and the ball carrier adds +1 if they have Sure Hands. If the ball carrier wins, the hold on to the ball and the Snatch players action is over. If the Snatch player wins then the ball is scattered from the ball carrier, and then may continue their action.
Sorry bro, this is way too good. It's basically an extra handoff action. And potentially another, and another. It kicks accurate, pass etc right out of the park, even without the strip ball element.

Player 1 declares handoff. Moves next to player 2 and hands off.
Player 2 declares move, moves next to player 3. Player 3 declares move and snatches the ball, moves off.

Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

frogboy wrote:I think there could be some more strength skills as big guys are a little limited, here's one I just thought of...

Sleeper Hold Instead of making a block action this turn your player may instead choose to put a sleeper hold on one player in its tackle zone. Both opponents roll a D6 and add their Strength. If you beat your opponents score then their player is stunned in addition if you beat the opponents score and roll a natural 6 on the same D6 then the opponents player is KO'ed. If your opponent wins your players action ends.
Should there be a downside? Something like roll D6 add strength. The loser is placed prone (if this is the attacker this causes a turnover). If one player is beaten by 3 points they are stunned. If they roll a 6 the other player is KO'd. If both players roll a 6, they are both KO'd!

Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

Shteve0 wrote:
Darkson wrote:Snatch: This player is adept at grabbing the ball from the hands of players, team-mates and opposition alike. During a Move action if the player is adjacent to the ball carrier they may Snatch the ball. If the ball carrier is a team-mate the Snatch player makes a Catch roll. If passed, they now have the ball and may continue their Move. If the ball carrier is an opponent, each coach rolls a D6 and adds the players ST or AG (coaches choice), and the ball carrier adds +1 if they have Sure Hands. If the ball carrier wins, the hold on to the ball and the Snatch players action is over. If the Snatch player wins then the ball is scattered from the ball carrier, and then may continue their action.
Sorry bro, this is way too good. It's basically an extra handoff action. And potentially another, and another. It kicks accurate, pass etc right out of the park, even without the strip ball element.

Player 1 declares handoff. Moves next to player 2 and hands off.
Player 2 declares move, moves next to player 3. Player 3 declares move and snatches the ball, moves off.
You can weaken it though and split it into 2.

Skill 1 - this payer may declare a hand off even if they do not have the ball. During their move they may take the ball from an adjacent player on the same team with a successful catch roll and then continue their move.

Skill 2 - this player may simply wrestle the ball from an opposing player. During a block or blitz instead of rolling the block dice roll a D6 and add the players strength. Subtract the defenders agility and strength. On a result of a 4 or more the defender loses the ball and the attacker may attempt to catch it. If this is failed it is not a turnover and the ball scatters from the attackers square.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Whoops, meant to say it counts as the teams hand-off for the turn (so can't be used if someone has already used the hand-off). That's what happens when you're typing on the fly while trying to talk to your gas company about why your bills doubled. :oops:

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Or just allow them to declare the hand off like Chris says, which would be simpler....

Not keen on Chris' skill 2 though, I deliberately steered away from having a chance to catch the ball (other than the scatter).

Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

Well, how strong is it? A strength 5 player would take the ball on a 5+ against an average model (3 str, 3 ag). Then need to catch it in at least 1 tackle zone. If anything it is a bit too weak, but I thought of it really as a skill for big guys who might lack block and tackle.