Custom League Rules for Christmas

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

eldritchfox
Veteran
Veteran

Custom League Rules for Christmas

Post by eldritchfox »

In my local TT league we often have theme rounds. Please can I get some feedback on the following before sharing with the group.

Sandy Claws is coming to town

It is the season to be jolly and Sandy Claws has some special gifts for each team.
Prior to setting up the teams each coach places a present marker in the opposing teams half. When a player moves onto the gift they roll a d6 and discover what Sandy Claws has given them.

1- Your player has been naughty, very naughty indeed and the gift explodes. Treat it as if a fireball has gone off in the square.
2- A lump of coal. A ticking lump of coal. A red hot ticking lump of coal! your player gains bombadier and no hands
3- My what a red nose you have! All the better to hypnotise you with my dear. Your players nose grows large and red and he may use it to distract opponents. He gains hypno gaze and loner.
4- Mistletoe and Whine. Your player is determined to give a kiss with a fist to his opponents. Gains dauntless and frenzy.
5- Let it snow, let it snow, Mighty Blow. Your player gains Mighty Blow and a Blizzard sweeps over the pitch for the remainder of the game. (Ignore any other weather results for the rest of the game). The MB player ignores the effects of the blizzard
6- I saw mummy kissing Sandy Claws. Ho Ho Ho. The spirit of Christmas descends upon your player. They gain claw, regeneration, pro but lose 1ma due to the mince pies and brandy they consume as the game continues. Halflings do not suffer from the loss in ma as the extra grub is only a light snack to them.

Sandy Claws doesn't just give gifts though. Some of the boys and girls deserve a special visit so...

At the start of each drive, the coach about to play rolls 2D6. If the total rolled is less than the turn number (1-16), Sandy Claws comes to town! The non-playing coach places Sandy Claws anywhere on the field and scatters him D6 in a random direction (D8) to determine where he lands. If a player is in this square resolve as though they had been hit with a bomb, randomly scattering them 1 square. At the start of each drive, the non playing coach moves Sandy Claws D6 in a random direction (using the throw-in template). If Sandy's movement would take him into another player's square, resolve as a normal block. Sandy keeps blocking until all his D6 moves are spent. Once Sandy is in play he remains in play until he either walks off the field or the game ends. Do not re-set Sandy between drives (he remains in the same square). If Sandy moves off the field he is out for the remainder of the game spreading joy and love amongst the crowd. The magic of Christmas protects Sandy so even if his armour is broken (from a skull/both down), he will remain on the pitch as though he were stunned. As everyone loves Sandy Claws, he may not be blocked and no assists can be used against him. Sandy Claws uses snow troll stats.

Reason: ''
rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Re: Custom League Rules for Christmas

Post by rolo »

I appreciate that you want to make the round fun and memorable, just remember that less is more when playing special rules like that. Ideally, you want a ruleset to be entertaining but not really powerful enough to affect the outcome of a game. How fun is it if somebody's favorite player gets blocked into a box and it explodes, killing him? Or if Sandy Claws goes on a rampage with his random movement and injures half of one team, leaving the other untouched?

I'd try to consider something thematic but with less impact on the game ... even something as simple as "Weather starts out as blizzard, instead of rolling random weather" or "Every team gets a christmas tree token which can be used once during the game as a reroll".

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
hissa-lives
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Custom League Rules for Christmas

Post by hissa-lives »

rolo wrote:I appreciate that you want to make the round fun and memorable, just remember that less is more when playing special rules like that. Ideally, you want a ruleset to be entertaining but not really powerful enough to affect the outcome of a game. How fun is it if somebody's favorite player gets blocked into a box and it explodes, killing him? Or if Sandy Claws goes on a rampage with his random movement and injures half of one team, leaving the other untouched?

I'd try to consider something thematic but with less impact on the game ... even something as simple as "Weather starts out as blizzard, instead of rolling random weather" or "Every team gets a christmas tree token which can be used once during the game as a reroll".
Having played in the league and accepted the rules of balls turning into jet engines and exploding, or inflating or pit traps that catapult you halfway across the pitch I think we all accept that these things can and will happen. Round 2 involved one of our players getting very drunk showcasing booze for th sponsors and potentially throwing up down himself and gaining foul appearance as well as dauntless. very silly but lots of fun! :-)