Making Assistant Coaches and Cheerleaders relevant

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

fidius
Experienced
Experienced

Making Assistant Coaches and Cheerleaders relevant

Post by fidius »

It's rare to see teams with more than 1 AC and 1 CL each, as the cost does not justify the minimal benefits (20k for 10/36 chance per kickoff to increase chances for a re-roll). However I like the idea of hiring them for fluff reasons, and they could be used to improve certain cost mechanics within the game as well (thinking mainly Personal Trainer here, and maybe Def Coord).

So fwiw here are the ideas in the spirit of potential house rules.

Assistant Coaches (10k each)
0-1 Defensive Coordinator: required to gain benefit of Blitz! and Perfect Defense
0-1 Offensive Coordinator: required to gain benefit of Quick Snap and High Kick
0-1 Special Teams Coordinator: required to use Kick or Kick Off Return skills
0-1 Strength & Conditioning Coach: 6 on d6 negates MNG
0+ Personal Trainer: must employ one for every player of Super Star level or higher

Cheerleaders (10k each)
Must hire Cheerleader in order to increase Fan Factor beyond multiples of (X=5) points.
This requires house rules that a) FF doesn't count against TV, and b) make FF more desirable (more than just FAME wins, ie increased winnings or something).

Bit of an unfinished idea but just throwing it out there.

Reason: ''
harvestmouse
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Making Assistant Coaches and Cheerleaders relevant

Post by harvestmouse »

It's an interesting concept. I like them all bar the last coach. What if you don't have enough money to buy a coach when a player becomes a Super Star?

Also, could the extra TV (ok it's only 10k) be a factor in retiring a Super Star. It could be and probably would be at some point; that I feel is too much of a negative. If it had the effect of aging it would have merit, but I don't think it would.

I probably wouldn't have one for kick either, you already pay for kick in TV. Also if a stunty team took kick, it makes it even more expensive.

Personally what I do is use the old lrb4 system for coaches and any team that wins a division gains a cheerleader. Neither counting towards TV.

Steam Ball
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Steam Ball »

harvestmouse wrote:It's an interesting concept. I like them all bar the last coach. What if you don't have enough money to buy a coach when a player becomes a Super Star?
The skill and TV increase are not applied until you buy the coach, for example basic skill to be come super would raise by 30K, and not 20K, of which 10K must be paid with money. It's another form of making massive skill stacks pay for the privilige, just that other proposals had more steps, instead of just one.

celticgriffon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by celticgriffon »

These are the kind of things I would love to have in the formal rules and these ideas can really shine in a league environment.

I would love to get away from the cookie cutter options in Blood Bowl. But I guess I enjoy variety (hence the reason I have 1000+ board games).

But again, in the end, efficiency seems to trump fluff.

Thanks for the post. Let us know how things work if you test this.

Cheers,
Michael

If you could be anyone would you be yourself? ~ yup it's mine!

Michael aka Da Big Green 'Un (commissioner Regina Flatland BB League - RFBBL)
http://www.reginaflatland.bloodbowlleague.com
fidius
Experienced
Experienced

Post by fidius »

Steam Ball wrote:
harvestmouse wrote:It's an interesting concept. I like them all bar the last coach. What if you don't have enough money to buy a coach when a player becomes a Super Star?
The skill and TV increase are not applied until you buy the coach, for example basic skill to be come super would raise by 30K, and not 20K, of which 10K must be paid with money. It's another form of making massive skill stacks pay for the privilige, just that other proposals had more steps, instead of just one.
Yes exactly. But I think delaying the skill might be difficult to track. Maybe if a team doesn't have the cash on hand when a player hits Super Star, they get an auto-MNG (player refuses to play in a fit of primadonna pique until he receives the treatment he deserves). Any future income must be spent on the Trainer, and Trainers can only be fired when a Super Star+ leaves the team, to prevent "stashing" of Super Stars.

An alternative might be to retire a roster player (Veteran+?) and convert him to AC rather than pay the 10k.

Bludbowler
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Bludbowler »

gregory_n_white
Experienced
Experienced

Post by gregory_n_white »

Assistant Coaches (10k each)
0-1 Defensive Coordinator: required to gain benefit of Blitz! and Perfect Defense
0-1 Offensive Coordinator: required to gain benefit of Quick Snap and High Kick
0-1 Special Teams Coordinator: required to use Kick or Kick Off Return skills
These first 3 make no sense to me.

For the first 2, everyone wants those kickoff results so everyone will buy the OFF and DEF coach.
Are you really going to sacrifice Blitz, Perf Def, or Quick Snap just to save 10 or 20k? No, so you are jsut making every team 10 or 20k more expensive and not changing the game in any way.

And the Special Teams Coordinator - get rid of that and just make Kick and Kick off 10k more expensive if you think its necessary.