Spike! Magazine trophy

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Mystic Force
Veteran
Veteran

Spike! Magazine trophy

Post by Mystic Force »

So I am running an open format league per 3rd edition with seasonal tournaments for some focus. So our next tournament will be the Spike! Trophy, I have decided that the game will be between the two teams with the highest Fan Factor, and for the months of July and August there will be a bonus for the Fan Factor roll of +1 for scoring 3 or more TDs and +1 for causing 3 or more casualties. Any ccomments or oversights for my plan?

Reason: ''
WeeManBiggins
Experienced
Experienced

Re: Spike! Magazine trophy

Post by WeeManBiggins »

How many teams do you have? If you have enough to run a knockout this is a great way to give even the lowest team the chance to win something. With the FF idea I guess the teams that win the most will always be the ones picked to play this which can be an easy way of determining the best but not always the fairest.

HDWSBBL Commissioner
Mystic Force
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Spike! Magazine trophy

Post by Mystic Force »

Thank you for your interest. I have some where in the region of 10 people who are all new and own nothing. I have played the game on and off since '94. I was trying to recreate something of the original Dearhzone feel to the league as I do not have any idea how enthusiastic the participants will be who are Magic and former Magic players. The number of intrested was rather more than I was expecting at one gathering. In one sitting trying to teach that many how to play in one go was less than ideal. I was hoping to add people in slowly over time. So far we have only had 2 gaming session, and no one has yet invested in their own equipment, so plan A above was shelved. As there has been insufficient time, and for the time being all games have to take place at my house, with my stuff.

I was planning on having 4 tournaments spaced throughout the year with each being different. The Bloodbowl would follow the original open tournament concept, the Dungeon bowl would be a knockout tournament, themed around using special play cards. (An under utilized and very fun part of the 3rd ed rules, sacrificed in the name of making a more even game suitable for competitive play in my opinion, I always tried poker bluffing with my cards when someone went to pick up a player to score or make a pass). As the game is played underground there is no weather, so changing weather gets you more cards etc I have previously run the dungeon bowl like this for a league and it was well received.

The Spike! Trophy would be theemed around popularity, hence the FF use, and while writing this I had another idea. As I am putting together a newsletter, if coaches write a match report or other humorous article their team gains a FF, during the lead up to the tournament. This serves the purpose of Reinforcing the attachment, and narrative of the league. Based on the number of participants in the leafue it would either be a final between the 2 most popular teams or a semi/final of 4 teams. Your comment on FF as a stand in for the teams who win the most is valid, but the reward of a chance for a trophy final, is a just reward for a team that has won a lot. By adding extra ways, at least temporarily, to impact the FF roll it would hopefully push people to play a little different than aiming for a 2-1 grind.

The Chaos Cup would either be open format or some other selection method. I was thinking maybe highest team value, using the final or semi/final dependent on numbers. That way people would reset from the efficiency standpoint, to the useful bloat to try new things have full rosters and not worry about giving away handicap to change up play for a period of time, to make things more varried. I see some teams suffering under such a scheeme and some ways to game this system, but it would encourage some alternatives, until a mass kull of players following the tournaments conclusion. Maybe a way for a natural league refresh.

To aid my players I was thinking of giving away a custom made pitch to each tournament winner. I have long enjoyes making wargame terrain so I would find it fun.

My ultimate goal is to have a relaxed league, with variety of play to prevent the league descending into sameness. For participants who after being bathed in the joy of Bloodbowl, wish to find a more competitive league, there are a few in the area that they can join, I alas do not have the capacity to join them, because of commuting, family and distance, hence the flexible and easy going system I wish to implement. Feed back so far has been posotive, so at least a number of them liked Bloodbowl enough to want to play more.