Mutations on Slann/Apes. Broken?

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Mutations on Slann/Apes. Broken?

Post by plasmoid »

So, curious, if one were to add 'mutations on doubles' to the Slann or the Simyan roster - do you think there would be balance issues?
Cheers
Martin

Reason: ''
Narrow Tier BB? http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/NTBB.htm
Or just visit http://www.plasmoids.dk instead
CyberedElf
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Mutations on Slann/Apes. Broken?

Post by CyberedElf »

Slann start weak because they pay for skill access. After they gain skills they become very powerful. I think your suggestion exacerbates the issue, when the reverse might be better.
Since they already have such good skill access, I don't think giving them mutation access would cause too much of a problem though.

Blitzers never run out of skills to take.
Linemen get so few SPP they effectively don't run out of skills to take.
Catchers might run out of skills to take, but are already awesome at that point.
Kroxigor should take General skills on doubles.

Moraiwe
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Moraiwe »

Giving access to Big Hand to leapers is a fair-sized boost.

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

Tinkerman at it again ;)

...must...change...something...

I applaud your enthusiasm, Martin, if not necessarily your intentions or results ;)

Regash
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Regash »

Plasmoid... House rules section!

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Why do you think either roster needs Mutation access?

But whether it would cause balance issues or not, I would be firmly in the "no" camp as mutations doesn't fit either teams background.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

The one thing I really dislike about the ape roster is that it doesn't fit in the Blood Bowl world very well.

There is mention of chaos ape-men in the southlands so making them this instead of apes makes more sense. It also fixes the fluff reason for extra hands as ape hands are less dextrous than humans.

No idea about game play though as have never played against them.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

Hi all,
thanks for the mostly valuable input.
Spubbbba is sort of on the same page as myself: I like the Simyan roster, but could never use it. To me it suits the BB World as much as a space marine roster.

Also, recently Cyanide has decided to change the Slann team into a Kislev Cirkus roster. Cirkus? Geeez. I like the Slann roster, but find the Cirkus roster rationale pretty cringe-worthy.

However, to my mind both rosters are reasonably well suiter for getting morphed into a Tzeentchian Daemon roster:
1. VLL+Leap of the Slann could be Horror warping/teleportation.
2. Extra Arms of the apes could be, well, the extra arms of the Horrors.

For either one to work conceptually, the known roster would have to gain access to mutations - and perhaps a Big guy swap.

So my question was - as stated - would mutation access break anything?
Better?

CyberedElf. I see what you say. My thinking was that with so many skills needed, there wouldn't be skill slots to use a lot of mutations.
However, as Moraiwe said, Big Hand might well be a problem!
Then again, are Slann really ever -that- good?

Perhaps apes would be a safer bet.
I'd love a comment from an experienced ape coach or two :)

Cheers
Martin

Narrow Tier BB? http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/NTBB.htm
Or just visit http://www.plasmoids.dk instead
SlannMann
Experienced
Experienced

Post by SlannMann »

I play Slann and I love them. The reasons I would say yes to mutations would be for real world fluff reasons, but having said that I don't think they are in desperate need for mutation access and just because some of the mutations do occur in real life doesn't mean they should in BB:

Claws - African clawed frog or the Hairy frog (aka Wolverine frog). For game purposes they would make killer route blitzers all the better to kill you with.
Disturbing Presence - The stagnant smell of pond weed and ditch water hanging off them
Foul Appearance - The stereotypical ugly and bloated toad, fear of contracting warts idea
Horns - Argentine horned frog or the horned lizard (aka horned toad)
Prehensile Tail - Tailed frog (although it's not much of a tail per se) or a newt/salamander idea being amphibians. This would also make the blitzers really cool but horrendous due to starting with Diving Tackle

Of course, if the team did gain mutation access I would like to assume that meant the Kroxigor.... then you could make with the right rolls (and that's a lot of right rolls with 2 doubles and and Ag increase lol) a 4+ leaping kroxigor (or as I would then call him, a Frogre) :D That would be great cos I have heard comments about how he doesn't fit in with the theme of the team due to not being able to leap, although you would prob only leap with him when absolutely necessary at 4+. But it would still be great

Twelfman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Twelfman »

[b][u][color=#FF0000]SlannMann[/color][/u][/b] wrote:I play Slann and I love them.
You don't say? :lol:

SlannMann
Experienced
Experienced

Post by SlannMann »

I can't help it Twelfman. My name is Slannmann and I have amphibissues! :lol:

Bakunin
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Bakunin »

dode74 wrote:Tinkerman at it again ;)

...must...change...something...

I applaud your enthusiasm, Martin, if not necessarily your intentions or results ;)
Well, cant stand still. So if you are not moving forwards, you are moving backwards.

Galak 3:16 says "There is a point in time that a player really should read the rulebook."
dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

Bakunin wrote:Well, cant stand still. So if you are not moving forwards, you are moving backwards.
Be careful not to confuse activity with achievement ;)