Make fouling at start of a turn more safe option (sort of)

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Mori-mori
Experienced
Experienced

Make fouling at start of a turn more safe option (sort of)

Post by Mori-mori »

Just a thought that got into my mind when I was bored. May be somebody else would be interested to ponder over its cons and pros :)

I thought about the times when fouling had less consequences (the "I've got my eye on you" mechanics), so was a more viable option. And then thought "Can we somehow tweak the current rules to have a similar effect? And do it in a way which won't be too cumbersome to track and enforce when playing tabletop version of the game?"

In other words, how to make an occasional fouling a more safe and viable option, but still de-incentivize abusing it? And that's how I came to the idea in the caption. In short, it goes like this:
If you foul at the very start of your turn (without conducting any other actions with any of your players prior to that), you may utilize one free bribe roll in case doubles are rolled. This free extra bribe can only be used once per match, per team. You can't use it under any circumstances except those described here.
Thus it significantly lowers risk to be ejected while fouling for both teams (even if they don't have a regular bribe), yet still adds risk to completely lose your turn at the same time (that's why fouling usually happens at the end of the turn, in the first place).

Does it make any sense? Any thoughts on how to develop this idea, may be?

Reason: ''
Afroman
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Make fouling at start of a turn more safe option (sort o

Post by Afroman »

It certainly makes the ocasional foul more attractive, but I don't think it will add anything to the game.

- If the first thing you do is foul, then it will seldom be an optimal foul thus greatly decreasing its effectiviness. So you trade one players action for a subpar foul.
- The absence of this rule has not stopped fouls from being used(if it aint broken......)
- One more thing to keep tack of. In these days of new rules constantly appearing, less is starting to feel like more.

My 2 cents

/Ivan

Mori-mori
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Mori-mori »

Thanks for the input, Afroman.
- If the first thing you do is foul, then it will seldom be an optimal foul thus greatly decreasing its effectiviness. So you trade one players action for a subpar foul.
Makes sense.. I thought about allowing more actions to be done with other players, like, allow free movement actions (no rolls of any kind) with any player prior to this "foul with a free bribe", until all those movements end up in a square adjacent to a foul's target. May be even allow dodge rolls too. But it makes the whole thing more complicated.
The absence of this rule has not stopped fouls from being used(if it aint broken......)
It didn't, but it's still quite rarely used, unless somebody has bribe(s), or significant numerical advantage.
- One more thing to keep tack of. In these days of new rules constantly appearing, less is starting to feel like more.
In case of tabletop, that could be tracked by some kind of "Bribe token" with a color different from regular "Bribe token" - which you get allocated at the start of each match, and may use only in the described circumstances. So may be it won't be that hard to track, after all?

Christy42
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Christy42 »

Actually I feel like there are several teams who want a dirty player. Norse, undead and Nurgle mention a few. They all should be looking to foul where advantageous.

I guess the random, sneaky git style fouling is thematic though at the moment fouling is more tactical than a random boot.

As for the rule. If you want to encourage it I would say a flat 3+ to stay on the field if the foul is the first action (ref not paying attention or whatever). Sneaky git gives a reroll.

The risk of a sending off is still high given the high cost (your entire turn) and the likely suboptimal foul.

harvestmouse
Star Player
Star Player

Post by harvestmouse »

Well the thing 'I've got my eye on you' did was made fouling more tactical. Where as making fouling less likely to be penalised at the start of the turn; makes fouling less tactical. So........why not bring IHGMEOY back instead?

The problem with 5th ed to CRP era is that they fixed things that weren't actually broken.