More interceptions

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

plasmoid
Legend
Legend

More interceptions

Post by plasmoid »

I've started watching american football recently, and I must admit that I was amazed at how often a pass was intercepted. In my experience from BB, it virtually never happens.
Personally, I'd like to see more interceptions.

However, as Mestari recently pointed out, making interceptions easier won't result in more interceptions, because people will just be that much less inclined to risk it.

Therefore, I thought that it would be better to create more opportunities to intercept, rather than to make it easier.

So how does this sound:
"A player is eligible to intercept if they are under the range-ruler (between passer and reciever) OR if they are in the tackle zone of the passer/reciever."

This simple rule would at the same time elimiante the confusion created by the "between" rule, which isn't always totally clear if you are throwing at an angle.

Martin :)

(I've got more ideas, but thats material for another post).

Reason: ''
Mestari
Legend
Legend

Post by Mestari »

How about allowing every player a "pass block move of 1 square" and boost the Pass block skill to 4 squares? This could be in addition, of course... but anyhow that should make it really hard to "fix" your passing lane through some hole in the defence, as every opponent player is allowed to move one square if it takes them under the range rules or next to the thrower/catcher.

[url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3460]-[/url]Teemu
[i][size=67]Don't lynch me! I'm the captain of the carpet ship![/size][/i]
Cervidal
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Cervidal »

The reason there are so many interceptions in professional/college American football is because of the sheer number of passes thrown in a game. It is common for a quarterback to throw thirty passes, and 40 tosses in a game is becoming the current trend.

In Blood Bowl, I rarely see more than three or four passes between BOTH teams. When the ball is thrown, it is rarely thrown over the heads of opposing players. In Blood Bowl, passers have greater mobility to find an open player and minimize the chance of an interception.

Personally, my High Elves right now average five completed passes per game, but they are almost entirely done to move the ball laterally or backwards and set up my power running game. Interceptions aren't rare because they're difficult. They're rare because the oppertunity for one does not come up often.

tchatter
Super Star
Super Star

Post by tchatter »

My Skaven Thrower has 10 completions after 4 games. None of my opponents have ever made an INT roll. Why?

I move the GR so that he is open, then move the thrower so he has an open passing lane, or I do one of the two.

But when only passing 2.5 times per game... I am fine with having no interceptions.

Now in the entire REBBL league we have 3 INTs after almost 32 games played, when looking at those numbers... INTs seem very low.

But again BB games are of shorter length, You often make 1 pass per 'drive'. Some teams NEVER pass...

I wouldn't be against changing INT from 6 to 5 but would it really make a difference? The difference would be to make passing occur even less. Even at 6 I typically don't throw the ball if there is a chance for interception because I KNOW that is when the 6 will show up :x

FUMBBL Coach name: tchatter
Ex-Commish of REBBL
Relborn
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Relborn »

unless you bring some houserules into the passing system, you won't see much more interceptions. Under the current rules (which I like very much basically) an interception can be avoided very easily by denying your opponent the chance to do so.

An possible solution could be, that only quick or short passes could be made after scrambling (means after your thrower has moved). Long passes and long bombs allows only one square of movement ...

So the thrower still has the option to throw to an open receiver or risk the possible interception (note that under this rule, it should be quite easy to come under the passing ruler with one of your pass blockers - on long passes at least).

But keep in mind that the whole flow of the game would change if you bring this houserule into your game.

Mestari
Legend
Legend

Post by Mestari »

Relborn wrote:unless you bring some houserules into the passing system, you won't see much more interceptions.

True. My suggestion above would make it harder to find good passing lanes, which might make it more likely for coaches to pass over opponents players. You might want to try that out if you're seeking for more interceptions.

[url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3460]-[/url]Teemu
[i][size=67]Don't lynch me! I'm the captain of the carpet ship![/size][/i]
Artificial Penguin
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Artificial Penguin »

Hmmmm, what about just making an adjustment of -1 to all attempts to throw the ball if the passer has moved? Not that I really like the idea, but it seems like less to remember than not allowing Long Pass/Bomb if thrower has moved.

On second thought, maybe they're kind of a wash.

I'm a bubble in a sound wave
A sonic push for energy
Exploding like the sun
A flash of clean light hope

For Blood Bowl in Seattle, check out the Game Wizard in Ballard (www.game-wizard.com).
plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

Hi Mestari and all,
I've actually considered something similar to what you suggest (i.e. free 1 square pass blocks). But, IMO, it is a little too effective.
It doesn't only cover passing lanes, it can also put both passer and reciever in TZ, which is very nasty.

Then I came up with this similar alternative:
*something* happens if the range ruler passes through a players TZ - i.e. it doesn't have to actually cross the square that the player is in.
Very simple, and this version too expands the reach of players by 1 square.

Only remaining question: What is that *something* that happens?
- perhaps the player is simply allowed to intercept.
- perhaps the player may make an "intercept" roll, where success incurs a -1 to the catch roll.
- perhaps.......

Suggestions/comments?
Martin

slup
Star Player
Star Player

Post by slup »

You could increase the number of interceptions by saying that in addition to a normal interception then catching a ball thrown by the opponent counts as an interception and gives 2 SPP, you are allready allowed to yell "INTERCEPTION".
This does not change the game in any way, but increases the amount of interceptions.

LRB ver 2 p 14: catching the football
"(if a player from the other team manages to catch the football he can yell ?Interception!? and jump around a lot)."

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

If you really want to make interceptions more likely, just change the modifier to -1. Just expect Elves and GR's to pick off a lot of passes.

I personally would never throw the ball anywhere near oppoosition players if the modifier changed.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

I tihnk they happen at a rare enough frequency as it is. Not every game in the nfl has an interception no?

My skaven made 2 in their last game.

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

I have to laugh at this thread ... because I think several of the folks talking here are from the same crowd that wants interceptions rolls made after the pass roll instead of before it like the rulebook currently has it.

Want it easier and more difficult at the same time ... I'm confused ... :D

My two cents ... leave the LRB just as it is and the interception rate is fine.

Galak

Zombie
Legend
Legend

Post by Zombie »

That has nothing to do with it. The sequence doesn't make any sense whatsoever. It's so bad that many leagues play the other way around, even though they know the official rule.

Corlus
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Corlus »

I read the subject of this thread and shuddered. My High Elves have thrown 6 interceptions in their last 3 games. :cry:

I think I have offended Nuffle at some point.

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Zombie wrote:That has nothing to do with it. The sequence doesn't make any sense whatsoever. It's so bad that many leagues play the other way around, even though they know the official rule.
And if those leagues are then asking .... gee ... why don't we see more interceptions ... my comment is its their own fault. If you are going to house rule things, then be aware that when you change things intended as game mechanics than you change the game.

And Zombie yes, I know several leagues house rule this differently. Interestingly enough given your slam to me on another thread, I'm willing to bet your league has more house rules (ie exceptions) from the LRB than mine (Piling On, Diving Tackle, Interception roll, etc. etc.)

The bottom line is that that is a house rule. There are zero plans to change it and one of the impacts of that house rule is less interceptions during a game.

Galak