Star Players / re-rolls

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Holy G
Rookie
Rookie

Star Players / re-rolls

Post by Holy G »

Can anyone advise....We have a little vague area in our league...can star players use team re-rolls ? Our members could agree in our league, so I ruled that star player can only use the team re-rolls if they are of the same race, allied star players would use mbbl2 rules ie. trophy or leader re-rolls only.

What are other leagues doing about this or do people normally allow re-roll use at all times??

Just a little advice needed.

Taa.

Reason: ''
"Buckskin.....for those who FUMBBL"
wesleytj
Legend
Legend

Post by wesleytj »

there's no definitive rule i can point to, but the way we do it is:

big guy stars: no
all others: yes

seems like the most logical choice given that's the way the rest of the players work.

Legend
Legend

Post by Zombie »

That's how we do it too, but we had to vote on it as we didn't find any clear answer in the rules.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

We said es to all star plaers, as the Big Guy SP aren't actually listed as Big Guys :roll: . Another fine piece of writing by GW.

Off topic:- I know GW don't like beardies/rules lawyers, but they ought to hire some to go over their new rulesfor every/any release, regardless of games system. It would save a lot of arguements.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
zeroalpha
Veteran
Veteran

Post by zeroalpha »

"Off topic:- I know GW don't like beardies/rules lawyers, but they ought to hire some to go over their new rulesfor every/any release, regardless of games system. It would save a lot of arguements"

surely this is what play testing should include?

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Yes, that's what play-testings for, but if the play-testers are all "gentlemen" gamers, then the rules don't get pushed to the extreme.

I believe this is what hapened in the GW studio BB league. When it first started, the GW staff only fouled occansionally. When some more players joined, who had cut their coaching teeth in the big, bad world outside, the studio was swamped by fouling and Dirty Players, prompting JJ to develop IGMEOY. I think this was in a BB compendium or Mag somewhere.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Munkey
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Munkey »

This tends to happen in most GW games, although the more recent one's have had some of the rules tightened up to avoid abuses.

I know a couple of gamers who certainly are not gentlemen and consider it not only their right but the only way to play to push the rules to the bleeding edge. They are quite happy to consider patching the rules when broken but until this is done they feel it appropriate to 'play the game as written'.

I think I may have just painted them as a little more beardy than intended but it's all a matter of outlook. Personally I prefer to play the more gentlmanly game but it would be nice if GW could tighten up their rules a little so we didn't have to face this sort of gross abuse.

[size=75]The short answer is "no", but it is a qualified "no" because there are odd ways of interpreting the question which could justify the answer "yes".[/size]
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

zeroalpha wrote:"Off topic:- I know GW don't like beardies/rules lawyers, but they ought to hire some to go over their new rulesfor every/any release, regardless of games system. It would save a lot of arguements"

surely this is what play testing should include?
But GW have overriden there play testers - and introduced new rules after play testing. To be fair though you can't play test every combination of skills/stats whatever. It would just take too long and probably increase the price by a factor of 10.

Experimental rules are the way to go - effectively providing a huge play test for their rules.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

By the way, the official stance on this .. I know I saw a ruling for Resurrection last year ..... was that all Star Players can use team re-rolls. Star Players no longer have positions. ie Deeproot isn't really a Treeman ... if he was you couldn't have him and 2 other Treeman on your roster for a game. Griff isn't a blitzer ... you can have him and 4 Blitzers on your team.

Thus the Big Guy rule doesn't apply to them. All Stars can use team re-rolls currently.

Galak

noodle
Star Player
Star Player

Post by noodle »

Thats how we were playing it - until we decided to keep 4 star player slots on your roster...

Now:

1) You may BUY up to 4 star players/rookie big guys.
2) Neither may use team rerolls.

Which allows us to keep our stars (generated over 7 years of the league) and allows some teams to go "big guy heavy" if they want - which they usually don't because of the big guy -ve skill...