Illegal procedure poll

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

How do you deal with Illegal Procedure ?

Exactly as in the rulebook
26%
Never call it
35%
Warnings before calling it
33%
House rule a different punishment
4%
Something else our brave pollster failed to think of
1%

Total votes: 99

Rozman
Rookie
Rookie

Illegal procedure poll

Post by Rozman »

How do you apply the illegal procedure rules when you're playing?

I wanted to see how most people out there worked it; there seems to be a strong leaning towards house-ruling it, but I wanted to see some numbers behind it.

I also wanted to see some of the ways it gets house-ruled.

I personally feel that the Turnover part is much too harsh; it's not like you're getting anything out of not moving the turn marker, and you're sure losing something when your turn's over (especially at the half or the end of the game.)

Reason: ''
The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.

-Frank Zappa
DaFrenchCoach
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DaFrenchCoach »

I voted "warnings", but in fact, it will really depends on the opponent coach.

If he's a newbie, I won't call an illegal procedure, except if he'd do it for me.
If he's someone I... erm... Don't like a lot, I will call for it.
If he's a "common coach", I will give him something like a "free illegal procedure", in my mind: I will point he has to move his turn maker. If he'd forget it another time, hey, soemtimes things needs some "hard ways" to be heard; so I will call for it.

Zombie
Legend
Legend

Post by Zombie »

I always warn a couple times first. I hate calling it, but when nothing else works...

Heiper
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Heiper »

We've always called it. I'm not that harsh against new ppl, try to remind them insted, but i find that they learn to move the Turn Marker faster when you start to call them. We have little problems with it anymore now though, very rare someone forget to move the turn marker.

-Heiper-
jaylazer
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

How I call IP

Post by jaylazer »

Well it's been a while since I'vep played on a table top (mostly PBEM now). But, I really don't like to call IP's at all. For the most part I would just warn people every time to move it along. I think when teaching a rookie it's probably worth calling it several time just to make them remember, but after people get that part into their heads I would stop calling it just remind my opponent.

sean newboy
Legend
Legend

Post by sean newboy »

I voted for warnings, i majorly dislike the rule, i understand the purpose but i just dont like enforcing it since the only real important thing is to remember which turn in the game your on.

Hermit Monk of the RCN
Honourary Member of the NBA!
NAF Member #4329
Vault = putting in a 4 barrel Holley because the spark plugs need gapping.
franck_le_grand
Veteran
Veteran

Post by franck_le_grand »

If I'm on the top and every thing goes right and I'm leading 3-0 I'd never call it, just mention that he's behind with his TM.
But if it was the other way around (me being down) I would call it right away...
I voted "warnig"

roysorlie
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by roysorlie »

I voted as the rulebook says, but with newbies, I warn them a couple of times. But as they continue to forget, I call them.

The more seasoned players never really make the mistake, and if i've made it, I usually see it before my opponent does.

I don't really like calling it.
If I was ahead, I might just mention it.. cuz I'd win anyway.

Roy

Norwegian National Tournament Organizer.

Coachname [url=http://fumbbl.com/~SnakeEyes]SnakeEyes[/url] on [url=http://fumbbl.com/]fumbbl.com[/url]
NAF member 187
Kraff
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Kraff »

"Officially" It's in our rule set. Now, if coaches agree to not call it that's there own business. A few or our players like to use it and others don't, so basically it comes down to who is playing the game. The rules is in but the coaches don't have to call it. It is common courtesy to state whether or not you will use this before the game. Of oourse, if your opponent is you had better keep an eye on his turn track too!

-Kraff-
"If I had a Heart my blood would run ice cold."
DaImp
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DaImp »

I personaly feel it is bad sportsmanship to call an IP. I rather just point it out to the other coach and ask him to keep an eye on it next time. Admittedly there have been occasions where I have been playing a coach who forgets to move it every second turn... then I do call it, but only to burn his rerolls.
We use an unnofficial rule in my league where you are responsible for moving the other coaches turn counter. This seems to work well.

Jonathan Merry
Da Leeg Commissioner, Shaka Shield and SA Open Organiser
Shasta McNasty

Post by Shasta McNasty »

Unless teh coach in question is a noob, i'll call it every time. You snooze, you lose....

Basically, in our league, you learn by doing. With a noob coach, for teh first season (usually between 7 - 10 games), you remind them any turn they forget for teh first half of each game. After that, it's up to them.

Ghost of Pariah
Legend
Legend

Post by Ghost of Pariah »

Yeah same here, Shasta.

We usually have a preseason anytime noobs are in the league. This gives us a chance to help the newbies learn not only formations and tactics but how to move that turn marker. They learn real quick! Most of the time it only takes about 2 lost TD's in the preseason and they are on it.

To be honest it's not much of an issue in my league cuz we hardly ever forget. I think the last one was done by me. I was so excited about my comeback from behind win that I forgot to move my turnmarker and I lost the winning TD. That was with my dwarfs...a few years ago.

Traitor of the NBA!

I hate you all!
BobbyDavro

Post by BobbyDavro »

For our games it has become a running gag to call the opposition for illegal procedures. It is not seen as bad sportsmanship or any such thing. We discussed it before our current league started and everyone seemed happy enough with the rule. It does mean that we never lose track of the team turns.

However, we do make players say just "Illegal procedure". Adding anything else like "I would like to call an illegal procedure" will not count.

At their own discretion players may want to give the first one for free, but we are a mix of wargamers/roleplayers so there is a certain level of competitive play there, with Illegal Procedures merely forming another aspect of the play.

Heiper
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Heiper »

We have a few ppl in our league that jokes a bit on this rule.

A player moves his blitzer to blitz:

A. "player 9 blitzes this one with assist from nr8, two block dice against you"
B. "LEGAL PROCEDURE"
A. "What? I'm sure i moved my turn marker"
B. "Yeah, thats why I said Legal Procedure"

Can be quite irritating at times, and other times it just makes us laugh. (we are in a league that call IP)

-Heiper-
Falc
Rookie
Rookie

My POV

Post by Falc »

I haven't made any real rulings on this in my league, but I'm certainly not in favor of Illegal Procedure calls. I fully realize the importance of turn markers and know that without a rule, you'd end up in quite a mess.*

So I keep the rule. I'm not interested in gaining turnovers from it, I believe that to be a lousy tactic. If you can keep an eye on your opponent's turn marker just so you can screw with his plans, then I feel you can also do it for no other reason than the integrity of the game. Otherwise, I don't think I'm that interested in having you in my league...

* Of course, depending on your league, it might not actually be a real problem, if you don't mind some halves lasting 9, 10 or even more turns...

Real life should be optional