Random skill

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Bullstud
Rookie
Rookie

Random skill

Post by Bullstud »

A bunch of new guys are starting a league near me. They want to randomly give out skills to players that get enought SPP's. I do not agree with this but would like some input.

Reason: ''
NUFFLE SUCKS!!
Novice Heretic
Nuffle Blasphemers Association

Addicted to BB Can I get help for this problem??

Naf member 2392
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

No, where's the fun in team building there?

Would they feel the same why when they get the Kick, Sure Feet, Shadowing Longbeard, when someone else gets the Block, Dodge, Guard human lineman?

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Skummy
Legend
Legend

Post by Skummy »

My leauge used to do this, and there were some horror stories. It's better to pick your skills than have your Beastman wind up with something useless like Break Tackle. Norse and Dwarves immediately get better, since they all have the best skill in the game.

[url=http://www.bloodbowl.net/naf.php?page=tournamentinfo&uname=skummy]Skummy's Tourney History[/url]
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Re: Random skill

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Bullstud wrote:A bunch of new guys are starting a league near me. They want to randomly give out skills to players that get enought SPP's. I do not agree with this but would like some input.
The best answer is - well why don't we use the base rules for the 1st season. Then when we understand the game better we can introduce house rules.

Under 3rd ed the league I was in introduced semi-random skills. So you chose the category then rolled up 2 skills and chose one. You could reroll any skills you already had so there was always a choice. It worked pretty well and made for some interesting player development.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Melifaxis
Legend
Legend

Post by Melifaxis »

Random skills doesn't sound like much fun, and I agree that it would give Dwarves a big advantage as they start off with such solid skills. 8)

NAF Rankings
Commissioner: HBBL & GSBBL (7's)
Tournament Organizer: The Beantown Brouhaha & the Draughthouse Massacre & The Tricorn Cup
NBA Heretic & Proud Beer-Drinker of the NFL
Hrothgar
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Hrothgar »

If I tried to introduce this to the coaches in my league I think they would tar'n'feather me.

The thing that is overpowered is the number of LRB lovers here at TBB. Winning has overpowered fun.
Xtreme
Mr. Zlurpee

Post by Xtreme »

Hrothgar wrote:If I tried to introduce this to the coaches in my league I think they would tar'n'feather me.
As they should.

ImageImage
Bullstud
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Bullstud »

I guess what I need now would be a good arguement for him to make him see the light

NUFFLE SUCKS!!
Novice Heretic

Naf member 2392
MixX
Star Player
Star Player

Post by MixX »

Well, you can't stop him picking his own skills at random, but he can't force you into randomizing yours now can he? I mean he should be the one searching for arguments why he WOULD change the rule??

WorkWork!
Bullstud
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Bullstud »

MixX true!! Well after arguing with him for several minutes we finally got down to playing and I found out that I suck ever more at rolling when I am pissed!!!! He has played Mordhiem and is comparing this game to it. NOT Anyway we get done playing. He crushed my dwarves and he says. You can pick your own skills I just want to try the random way myself. Well if that was the case why did he make such a darn fuss about it. arghhhhhhhhhh

Be happy and have fun when I play blood bowl
Be happy and have fun when I play blood bowl

just 98 more times

NUFFLE SUCKS!!
Novice Heretic

Naf member 2392
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Bullstud wrote:He has played Mordhiem and is comparing this game to it.
But the skills aren't random in Mordheim either. IIRC it's only Necromunda that skills are rolled for randomly :roll:

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Old Man Draco
Monkey Spanker

Post by Old Man Draco »

Played random skills myself with a chaos team for a while. You end up loosing all cause you never get a Block skill.
I played it cause I wanted to see what would happen. Had fun against rookie teams, but got beaten up by teams that mainly have block allready.
You want to play it, then do so. If you don't then don't. The game has to be fun for everybody, not just one or two players. Agree on the terms and move on.

With a friend of mine I made a team consisting of all different lineman and a scorpion. We both had the same team starting and then tried to progress. Don't see anyt point in having a league like that. Just me and him and it was OK.

I think I made my point, Thank you for reading. :smoking:

Stunty King of Lutèce Bowl 2006!:lol:

Owner of a "Deputy Dook Badge"
BloodNole
Veteran
Veteran

Post by BloodNole »

I prefer a semi-random system I have used in the past. Randomly determine which skill set you pick from based on what is available to your player (St, G, etc) with 2d6 roll, doubles allow you to pick from any set. Then we had the skills that are generally considered more valuable (block, dodge, tackle, etc...) weighted in a fashion that would make it likely to get these skills. There was always a chance that you could roll up a less sought after skill. It led to more interesting player development. Plus Blood Bowl is supposed to have elements of random goofiness in it. As any victim of a pitch invasion can tell you.

Bullstud
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Bullstud »

Well I found out more about this guy and I really think the main issue is he does not like to lose. Napoleon complex also. Needs to be in charge!!!
So I think I will pick my own skills and enjoy the games. He can take all the random skills he wants.

NUFFLE SUCKS!!
Novice Heretic

Naf member 2392
Princelucianus
Legend
Legend

Post by Princelucianus »

NApoleon complex and random skills.

Meaning:
When he lost, he can blame it on the sucking random skills.
When he won, he can gloat because he couldn't chose his skills and his opponent could.

Risky types these guys are.

Lucy
:smoking:

RCN: Keeper of the sacred dice