Emotions in Bloodbowl

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Heff
Dwarf fetishist

Emotions in Bloodbowl

Post by Heff »

Was at Vaultbowl at the weekend and at one point there was a cry of pain from Vmcat. Led to a discussion where it was agreed that the game is made for masochists. During a game you only have two emotions, frustration when things go wrong and relief when they don't. Never any pleasure, no joy no happyness. Look round the room next time you are at a tourney. All you will see is stress and unhappyness. it's like an AA meeting where everyone has had a lapse. What is wrong with us, we need help.

Reason: ''
Heff...Keeping the Dwarf (and lego) hate alive
If you cannot stall out for an 8 turn drive to score with dwarves then you need to go and play canasta with your dad..if you can find him.
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Re: Emotions in Bloodbowl

Post by Joemanji »

Spot on. Winning produces a glorious absence of pain rather than any great joy. Best game in the world. :roll: But in all seriousness - that is why BB is such a great game, because it engages us so deeply.

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
Sandwich
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Sandwich »

I took goblins to NAFC and had a huge amount of fun.

Chainsaw + Leap = whirling leaping death from above :P, many giggles. OK, it only worked once, ut it was well worth it.

Coming very close to pitch-clearing norse = many giggles :P. For me and my opponent, he was cheering me on to foul the last 2 guys off (and I was trying!)

I'd add getting a draw against Beppe's wood elves as being fun, but I was actually still drunk from the Saturday night so can't really remember the game :-? ... just PGoo's face when I handed in the result sheet.

So: goblins = giggles.

Apart from when I took them to STABB... :oops:

Stunty Cup: NAFC 2014, WISB IV
Most TDs: Cambridge Doubles 2011, Carrot Crunch VI, Boudica Bowl
Wooden Spoon: STABB Cup 2
Heff
Dwarf fetishist

Post by Heff »

Sandwich wrote:I took goblins to NAFC and had a huge amount of fun.

Chainsaw + Leap = whirling leaping death from above :P, many giggles. OK, it only worked once, ut it was well worth it.

Coming very close to pitch-clearing norse = many giggles :P. For me and my opponent, he was cheering me on to foul the last 2 guys off (and I was trying!)

I'd add getting a draw against Beppe's wood elves as being fun, but I was actually still drunk from the Saturday night so can't really remember the game :-? ... just PGoo's face when I handed in the result sheet.

So: goblins = giggles.

Apart from when I took them to STABB... :oops:
Denial is such a sad mental state, it is only by facing the truth that you can change things :lol:

If you cannot stall out for an 8 turn drive to score with dwarves then you need to go and play canasta with your dad..if you can find him.
TheDoc
Star Player
Star Player

Post by TheDoc »

Sarnie knows just as well as I do that there is no joy just underlying satisfaction when you get the win.

It is either "Well I won, but I was meant to win that one" or "I won, well that's good". No joy in it at all just satisfaction.

Losing on the other hand brings a copious amount of emotion - torment, rage, frustration and full turmoil as your play turns to turd before your very eyes. The best losses are the ones where you play a coach you know is better than you and you go back to that satisfaction stage " I lost but I gave him a run for their money".

Why do we play? 'cause it draws you in with the fluffy side allowing you to build teams and players only to crush you as you realise all they are there for is to attempt to get another "satisfying" win. Immersive? yes, torturous? definitely.

I LOVE IT!

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

I think it depends who I'm playing. There are some coaches I just have fun (as in it's a laugh all through the game, not that I don't enjoy other games) playing against whether the dice go with me or against me.
And I take a evil delight in beating (or drawing with a lower tier team) club mates. A win vs moodygit or BigBelcher will make up a weekend of pain.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Hucker73
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Hucker73 »

Wow Heff, way to bring the happy...

Never thought you'd be such a negative person. Always imagined you doing the "Snoopy Happy Dance (TM)" just because you're next opponent wasn't using dwarfs.

I think its a funny, laugh inducing game, anyway.

Heff
Dwarf fetishist

Post by Heff »

Hucker73 wrote:Wow Heff, way to bring the happy...

Never thought you'd be such a negative person. Always imagined you doing the "Snoopy Happy Dance (TM)" just because you're next opponent wasn't using dwarfs.

I think its a funny, laugh inducing game, anyway.
Just for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtqRsFdzW0g

Heff
Dwarf fetishist

Post by Heff »

This is more me anyway
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mzukerman
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by mzukerman »

I could say the same thing about any competitive game. Everybody gets their game face on. I've seen it in Power Grid, Axis and Allies, soccer, even horseshoes and hand grenades. Everything except social party games like Apples to Apples where the game is designed for laugh out loud fun. The overall feeling of joy playing this game usually doesn't hit me until I start to relive it for my kids. They love the stories.

Don't get me wrong, with the right opponent, it's a laugh-fest.

"I reserve the right to change my predictions when they are no longer true. I am The Media." ~ Snob Costas
libloodbowl on Twitter
Long Island Blood Bowl League
Empire Cup
tzoscey
Veteran
Veteran

Post by tzoscey »

i think that depends who are you playing with.

i have lost with some people( horrible lossing, no option to win, nuffle and dice agaisnt me,...) and i have some of the best games, very funny games.
and when i play against some players i know it isnt a good game form the beggining, it doesnt matter if i win or loss, the game is horrible.

One Orc, Two Orc , Another injury
hissa-lives
Veteran
Veteran

Post by hissa-lives »

There is only one thing worse than getting a total dicing. You know the games, where nothing you roll comes off, all skulls on blocks, your turns taking seconds type game.
And that surprisingly isn't having your opponent laugh at you (you know who you are!)

It's the look in your opponents eyes when you're on the "good" end of a total dicing and you actually like the poor person.

The game is awesome, but totally evil too

Waldorf28
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Waldorf28 »

I genuinely have fun every game I play, win, draw or lose.

An opponent recently commented I giggle all the way through a match, whether it's going my way or not.

But then I don't look to my Blood Bowl results to define me as a person. Experience tells me many do.

The fault there is not in the game but the player.

Commissioner at the UKBBL.
faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

I was playing a game of BB with a friend, and my girlfriend at the time was there. She stopped in to watch us a little bit and later commented "All you guys did was sit there and stare at the board for 4 hours! You didn't even talk!". I said "Well guess what, after all that we ended up 0-0!!". She didn't understand it at all, since she was used to games like Settlers of Cataan and other social party games.

There is a lot of tension and aggravation that goes along with Blood Bowl. It's like a gambling addiction. I love having no rerolls on the last turn, dodging on/out of tackle zones, having to make a long pass, catch, and two GFIs to make it to the end zone....oh wait, failed that last GFI!! :lol:

Waldorf28
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Waldorf28 »

Precisely. Giggling is the only rational response :).

Commissioner at the UKBBL.