Bretonnian roster... What's the deal?

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Vanguard
Super Star
Super Star

Re: Bretonnian roster... What's the deal?

Post by Vanguard »

Darkson wrote:
DinoTitanedition wrote:As you can see, BB is a lot more WH than "steampunk". Honestly, aside of the secret weapons there is extremely little, that could be placed in that corner.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Show me Cabalvision, McMurty Burgers and Orcidas in WHB.
It's not WHFB anymore, but it's not really Steampunk either. I'd say Blood Bowl was still distinctly fantasy, although more at the Terry Pratchett end of the spectrum than the Tolkien. Actually, I can see BB sitting more comfortably in the Discworld setting than Warhammer these days.

Reason: ''
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Vanguard wrote:Actually, I can see BB sitting more comfortably in the Discworld setting than Warhammer these days.
Ssshhh! Don't say that out loud, otherwise GW will try to claim it as their IP! :wink:

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
J_Bone
Super Star
Super Star

Post by J_Bone »

harvestmouse wrote:
J_Bone wrote:
harvestmouse wrote:Yeah but Goreman, that's the thread....it's not something that's deviated off topic
Actually, it has gone quite a way off topic. And I even tried to steer it back a couple of times to no avail.

I just asked what people thought of the roster itself... The whole Cyanide business, Blood Bowl books, etc.
I don't see how it is off topic at all. You even mentioned the connection with Cyanide in the first post. Surely you knew what would happen if you brought a topic like this up?

It's all connected unless you want one word answers like 'good, bad, ok'. You distinctly asked about the deal with them and that they were coming to Cyanide. Over 11 pages you have a wealth of information of the pros and cons and......those outside of Cyanide want their say too.

Apart from the divulging to the Khorne issue, it's rigidly on topic, but that's me.
I asked what people thought of the roster... The starting skills, the skill access, how it fits in with the other races and whether people thought it was good or not, necessary or not etc... I didn't want yet another boring one-sided discussion about computer game versions of Blood Bowl. As you said, I should have known better.

The brains behind the Double Skulls Podcast http://doubleskulls.libsyn.com/

Beardman.
Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

Well, gents, it's not so much what you guys are doing as that it is an issue us old hats have heard about from dusk till dawn and it's always Ground Hog Day.... :)

From my point of view, until the powers that be cut or revise more than half the teams (with, imo, flaws) then introducing new teams is futile and irresponsible.... Add that the wannahaveits have been overtly vocal for so long... and that we already have plenty of human teams, arguments pro and con ad nauseum... well, it's no reflection on you... just more gas on a burned out fire....

Carry on... my two cents has already deflated past nothing.... :zzz:

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

But DG, are they overpowered/cheesy? Everyone wants to know!

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Jimmy Fantastic
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jimmy Fantastic »

J_Bone wrote:I asked what people thought of the roster... The starting skills, the skill access, how it fits in with the other races and whether people thought it was good or not, necessary or not etc... I didn't want yet another boring one-sided discussion about computer game versions of Blood Bowl. As you said, I should have known better.

OK then. The roster is garbage, totally unnecessary and doesn't fit in with the other races apart from some of the terrible 3rd ed weapon snip style teams. No S access on the Knights is completely ridiculous and makes the team not fit any kind of fluff.

babass
Super Star
Super Star

Post by babass »

Actually, I would not change much to this Bret-roster.
1/ RR for 50k, like Human team. (and not 70k like chaotic teams)
2/ remove P-acccess on the blitzer, and give them A-access (on simple).
3/ remove dauntless and give the blitzer juggernaut. (knight are good with charging)

Like this, this blitzers could be compare with dark elves blitzers. with AG on simple. +10k and -Ag, but 2 skills (one of them being a double skill)
or with human blitzer: +20kpo AG instead of StrG, but 2 more skills are start (one of them being a double skill)

The P-access is a gagnet outside a leader.
What would you give to a knight level 6 that roll only simple? (if there is already a leader in the team, and a ball carrier)? Tackle, Frenzy, maybe Pro? and then?

And for RP fluff, i would maybe consider giving animosity to the blitzer, because they are too arrogant/noble to give the pass to their serfs...

harvestmouse
Star Player
Star Player

Post by harvestmouse »

Isn't Juggernaut (representing a Knight charging on horseback) a bit cheesy though? I have a vision of monty python knights galloping through a forest to face the knights of nee......

Knights with juggernaut https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHFXG3r_0B8

Dauntless is a skill set up to represent 'I fear no monster'. Stand firm to me represents 'I yield to no one'. They may not be as interesting as Juggernaut, however I think they're more fitting.

Plus, isn't Khorne covering Juggernaut use in a roster combined with frenzy?

harvestmouse
Star Player
Star Player

Post by harvestmouse »

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned (here or elsewhere) however the BB site strongly indicates that it's at least taking elements from Plasmoid's roster.

"They benefit from very skilled Blitzer players and dirt cheap linemen boasting respectable characteristics and the Fend skill."

"arrogant Bretonnian nobles and their yeomen are questing for the Holy Grail: the Bloodweiser trophy. Convinced of their own skills, the young knights fill out their teams with lineman levy, drafted from the many local and incompetent all-peasant teams."

odinsgrandson
Veteran
Veteran

Post by odinsgrandson »

babass wrote:Actually, I would not change much to this Bret-roster.
Has the new roster been leaked? I thought we were having to wait until September to see any details about the Bretonnian roster.

babass
Super Star
Super Star

Post by babass »

odinsgrandson wrote:
babass wrote:Actually, I would not change much to this Bret-roster.
Has the new roster been leaked? I thought we were having to wait until September to see any details about the Bretonnian roster.
I was talking about the plasmoid one ;) (which is the potential cyanide one... but it s just an assomption)

harvestmouse
Star Player
Star Player

Post by harvestmouse »

More than an assumption. It's pretty clear from the wording that they're using it as a base, if not as the roster.

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

You will not get official Khorne or Bret's in table top for the following simple reasons:

The IP belongs to GW

GW cannot currently make an attractive margin on the tabletop property
(Tom Anders once stated that all the entering miniatures companies were slicing an already thin pie slice thinner.... (A quiet shout out to Tom, best wishes for a good, better, best day))

Cyanide presented GW with a rosy proposal for acceptable margins on a computer/internet version (dodgy as it apparently is)

Cyanide's technical problems impinge on that margin

For the life of its product and future, Cyanide is grabbing ANY straw that will float its leaky boat

Even house rules stuff....

Cyanide's BB, parallels WFB vs BB in one respect: it is an alternate universe to the table top property....

I return you to your dreams....

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Digger Goreman wrote:You will not get official Khorne or Bret's in table top for the following simple reasons:
Depends what official means, obviously.

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
DinoTitanedition
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by DinoTitanedition »

Well I`ve seen the game at the RPC2015. It`s look is really good and it`s feel is absolutely Blood Bowl. I haven`t played the Bretonian roster at the RPC but from what I`ve seen it`s the one from plasmoids. A good one in my opinion and, this is of course only my personal feel about it, I hope it will bring a lot of open minded new players to the game, as well as drive out all the old ones that have nothing better to give than a constant moaning about "officiality of rosters", how some "are broken" and that it "isn`t Blood Bowl anymore".

The game adds a nice campaign and with that what Blood Bowl was lacking until now - a storyfocused narrative way of playing the game. What worried me a little bit was this status message, telling one whether you`re connected or not:

The view can be adjusted, but the standard is the used top down view that we know from the first game.

What I don`t know yet is, if the game comes with the downloadable rulebook (wich was included if you bought the retailversion). I`d also like to have a version of the rules with the Cyanide features from the game, such as stadium building, more random events, etc. (except for the modified aging rule).

Other than that I was pleased to see, that some people try to make what everybody tries to (money) but also keeps the spirit of this great game alive.