Anyone ready to change their anti-GW stance yet?

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Re: Anyone ready to change their anti-GW stance yet?

Post by Digger Goreman »

SinisterDexter wrote:I hate them and that won't change. Granted, my hatred runs from terrible experiences as a red shirt in the late 90s (they were an exploitative bunch of bastards, perhaps not more than any other retail organization, but enough that I still carry a chip on my shoulder). When I walked away, I walked away from every game except BB, and even that I didn't play for about 5 years. When I came back to the hobby there were more people like me who had left, and who had gone and changed the hobby, seemingly in large part in response to the issues that made GW so bad. Big names too, like McVey. I tried new games and found that they were just better than the offerings GW had.
Agreed....
SinisterDexter wrote:Then the BBRC happened and that was it for me. I stopped considering BB a GW game (it is a community game IMO) and I'm not interested in their miniatures, games or supplies.

While the current interest is, on the surface, good for the community, and while GW may be changing, I am not, nor will I ever be, convinced that they are responsible custodians of the game over the long term.
Especially this and that ....

Reason: ''
LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
SunDevil
Goblin Fancier

Post by SunDevil »

I echo the sentiments posted by Galak and others in that I am cautiously optimistic but prepared for a GW grenade surprise (paraphrased from a previous poster).

That said, I really like the team-specific pitches and dugouts. I do not like the larger scale as it seems blatantly designed to gateway players into 40K.

My store will be ordering several sets, both for existing local league players and potential new coaches.

This is Chance from THREE DIE BLOCK - Your Blood Bowl Podcast! Stay off the sidelines!
THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO HELPED MAKE THE SIMYIN A REALITY!!!
Regash
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Regash »

I just stumbled over this video on YouTube and thought it interesting.

It's about GW and their licensing strategies.

a total change of strategy

Milo
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Milo »

SunDevil wrote: I do not like the larger scale as it seems blatantly designed to gateway players into 40K.
How so?

Milo

SunDevil
Goblin Fancier

Post by SunDevil »

Milo wrote:
SunDevil wrote: I do not like the larger scale as it seems blatantly designed to gateway players into 40K.
How so?
I'm obviously biased by my communications with my GW distributor but he has mentioned things to me in passing that make me think the scale creep is to make all roads lead to 40K. The new BB Orcs have been designed to fit right in to the recent 40K Ork Boys models, minus only the hand weapons really. Now that the scale is comparable, the idea (as has been suggested to me) is that if a player likes an 11 man Orc BB roster, than they will LOVE a 100 man Ork regiment in 40K. Bigger is better, and all that.

Now hopefully this is just one rep trying to sell stuff to my store and not an over-arching strategy from GW. Because while BB obviously sprung from the WHFB nursery, I like to think it has grown up and can stand on it's own now. Hopefully, GW agrees.

This is Chance from THREE DIE BLOCK - Your Blood Bowl Podcast! Stay off the sidelines!
JT-Y
Location: Chorley, where the police tazer blind people rather than look for the actual sword wielding lunatic

Post by JT-Y »

Now hopefully this is just one rep trying to sell stuff to my store and not an over-arching strategy from GW.
Doesn't tally with anything said to me. Sounds far more like someone repeating something that was true 15-10 years ago. Scale of the new miniatures is design driven, they're at the best scale for the detail possible with modern sculpting and casting techniques; bigger and detail becomes undetailed and simple, smaller and it either doesn't come out or comes out overly fiddly and too busy.

"It´s better to enlarge the game than to restrict the players." -- Erick Wujcik
DinoTitanedition
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by DinoTitanedition »

I'm obviously biased by my communications with my GW distributor but he has mentioned things to me in passing that make me think the scale creep is to make all roads lead to 40K. The new BB Orcs have been designed to fit right in to the recent 40K Ork Boys models, minus only the hand weapons really. Now that the scale is comparable, the idea (as has been suggested to me) is that if a player likes an 11 man Orc BB roster, than they will LOVE a 100 man Ork regiment in 40K. Bigger is better, and all that.
It`s not that most people use 40K orcs to make their BB team anyway...I don`t see it going into the other direction. The argument of liking a hand full of minis from a style making someone like ten hands of a mini also does not seem to have any logic. Whoever told you that must`ve fell and landed on his head.
Now hopefully this is just one rep trying to sell stuff to my store and not an over-arching strategy from GW. Because while BB obviously sprung from the WHFB nursery, I like to think it has grown up and can stand on it's own now. Hopefully, GW agrees.
A very interesting opinion. First of all, I`d like to know what is "grown up"? About the "standing on it`s own feet....I sincerely disagree. There is a lot of people buying fantasy football products, yes, and a lot of veterans playing the game, yes. But there is a lot of people avoiding Games Workshop products just because it has their logo on it, no matter how good they currently are and there is a lot of veterans playing the same thing over and over again, leaving no room for fresh impulses or new and especially younger players.

As long as this situation is present, I see the relaunch as a temporary project, with a couple of additional smaller boxed releases and that`s going to be it.

SunDevil
Goblin Fancier

Post by SunDevil »

DinoTitanedition wrote:A very interesting opinion. First of all, I`d like to know what is "grown up"? About the "standing on it`s own feet....I sincerely disagree. There is a lot of people buying fantasy football products, yes, and a lot of veterans playing the game, yes. But there is a lot of people avoiding Games Workshop products just because it has their logo on it, no matter how good they currently are and there is a lot of veterans playing the same thing over and over again, leaving no room for fresh impulses or new and especially younger players.

As long as this situation is present, I see the relaunch as a temporary project, with a couple of additional smaller boxed releases and that`s going to be it.
I only meant I think BB can welcome new players without them being soaked in WHFB knowledge and history. BB will continue to stand on it's own with all the world majors, tournaments, Cyanide, FUMBBL, leagues, podcasts and the like. But that isn't the same as the new GW BB selling well, as I believe you referred to.

DinoTitanedition
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by DinoTitanedition »

without them being soaked in WHFB knowledge and history
Not soaked, but some info on that universe I see as a solid base and to a small amount, neccessary. This has more than one reason. First: it is an offspring, a persiflage of the Warhammer universe. Second: if people aren`t eager to complain about a transformation to a Blood Bowl set in an Age of Sigmar sprung off universe, they`d better start sending some signals, that they value the tied to Warhammer background. Other than that, there is no other reason to keep it. But I guess, there is a lot of veterans not happy, when they have nothing to complain about :P
BB will continue to stand on it's own with all the world majors, tournaments, Cyanide, FUMBBL, leagues, podcasts and the like. But that isn't the same as the new GW BB selling well, as I believe you referred to.
Yes and no. Like always, there`s different points of view to look at it. In the recent years I found it increasingly harder to recruit people into the game, especially since the game started to develop a tournament oriented playstyle, while the community took care of it. Some typical situations: Leagues always start from "zero" per season, people complain about balance, people are blocking everything unpredictable (i.e. special play cards), regular tournament players are used to play very competitive even thou thinking that they play less strict (this of course subjective feel of my own, but for fresh players that is an even bigger disadvantage than any unbalanced rule).

I won`t go on with the explanaiton, since I think you get the point and since there is plenty of topics with the same issue on the forum. In short it`s the old "Familiar vs Fresh" thing. Things stay old, the old guys are satisfied, new people have more trouble finding their way in and the game does have an "old" feel to it. Make it mor fresh and welcoming for beginners, through a simplified ruleset for example, and there will be no time wasted from the veterans to complain.

For myself I`ve decided to rather give the new thing a shot and not "keep the game alive" but rather to "revive it". I think in the long run, that is the better solution to keep this game up runnin and healthy.

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

Oh, weeping daggers, NO!

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

Digger Goreman wrote:Oh, weeping daggers, NO!
Why?

I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

Selling a team for £20 is pretty good and the sculpts are of high quality, them being plastic means they will be well cast and easy to convert.

I see some really mediocre looking teams often made of inferior materials and costing way more get raved about on here.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

$65 here. About £37.

League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co
frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

Well thats a turnaround down under, prices are usally astronomical.

I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

Yeah, its a really refreshing change to only have to pay 'nearly' double UK prices rather than 'more than' double ;)

The core box is retailing for $195, just over £110.

League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co