BB2016 to CRP Special Play Cards Comparison

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Glamdryn
Veteran
Veteran

BB2016 to CRP Special Play Cards Comparison

Post by Glamdryn »

Hi All,

Currently released official BB2016 Special Play Cards:
-Random Events-
10 Core Box
2 Promo: Blitz-mania Event
1 Promo: White Dwarf December 2017
5 Team Card Pack - Elven Union
6 unknown
-Dirty Tricks-
10 Team Titans Pack
-Magical Memorabilia-
10 Hall of Fame Pack
-Heroic Feats-
16 Hall of Fame Pack
-Benefits of Training-
16 Team Titans Pack
-Miscellaneous Mayhem-
10 Core Box
1 Promo: Pre-order
1 Promo: Bugman’s Full Beard Cup 2016
3 Promo: Blitz-mania Event
1 Promo: Bugman’s Full Beard Cup 2017
5 Team Card Pack - Elven Union
6 unknown

I want to incorporate as much of the new stuff into our local league as possible, so this week I took it upon myself to do a cursory investigation on the new Special Play cards now that there is a price list for the cards in the Almanac. I have the two initial card packs and the core cards for BB2016. The intention is to allow coaches to choose as inducements either CRP cards or the new BB2016 cards. I went through each card and for the most part everything seems pretty good in comparison (you can find my comparison here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing, except for the following thoughts/concerns:

1) The Dirty Tricks deck is usually the go to for CRP at 50k with Trampoline and Pit Trap. The Dirty Tricks deck retained these two cards and did not get upped to 100k. This seems like an oversight.

2) Almost all of the cards in the 100k decks, Magical Memorabilia, Heroic Feats, and Benefits of Training seem like they are about on par with the CRP 50k cards with the exception of the following, which are all from the Benefits of Training deck: All-Out Blitz (Same as CRP Good Karma 100k card), Round the Clock Training (better than a RR), Team Talk (better than a RR), & Kingmaker Play (this is stupid overpowered see below).

3) Kingmaker Play: This card seems broken unless I am reading it wrong. Text: "Play at the start of any of your turns, before any of your players takes an Action. Pick a player on your team and make an Action with them. Each time you make a dice roll for that player this turn, you can choose the result instead of rolling (make any Armour rolls and Injury rolls as normal). However, you suffer a turnover immediately after that player finishes their Action." So in other words if you are within range of scoring and the ball is somewhere near you, you autoscore? That seems silly for 100k. Maybe this needs an errata or maybe they intentional put one incredibly powerful card in the Benefits of Training deck for some reason.

4) Burst of Speed is the only CRP holdover 200k card tuned down a bit and put into the Heroic Feats deck. It gives you +1 MA and Sprint for a turn. This can make a real easy 1 turner for a lot of teams. 100k card?

5) I only found one glaring error that seems to be in need of an errata. That is Inch-Perfect Kick from the Heroic Feats deck. Text in question reads (last sentence): "The ball will still bounce three times if it is not caught." I believe the card is trying to say instead of scattering as normal, use the Throw-In template to scatter 3 times, then the ball lands, if it is not caught it bounces as normal. So the errata would be to remove "three times".

6) I also got my hands on the Blitzmania cards, so I can make one obvious comment. Pampered Players is terrible for 200k as it is worse than having 2 Bloodwieser Babes.

So in conclusion, if I were to use the rules as written, I would buy 0-5 cards from the Dirty Tricks deck going for the two cards that can get the ball away from a player and Benefits of Training deck to get some undercosted cards and maybe the Kingmaker depending on how much moola I have.

Now how do I incorporate this into my league? We only use Special Play cards as costed inducements and we do not get any during Pre-Match step 4. I see a few approaches to adding them in:

1) Use the variant rules as written with the understanding that most decks will not get chosen.
2) Push all the decks to 50k to match their CRP brothers and remove the cards that are clearly undercosted.
3) Something else that you fine people will inform me on!

I would greatly appreciate any feedback, but a please don't comment "if you don't like them, don't use them." That's not really helpful.

Thanks!
Glam

Reason: ''
Baxx
Veteran
Veteran

Re: BB2016 to CRP Special Play Cards Comparison

Post by Baxx »

Interesting to see you made a comparison!

What I've done is just keeping it real simple. Allow players to use the old decks or the new decks, choosing any of the Special Card Variant rules available since April 2017. I've also not kept any limitations on what cards can be used, usually just having all released cards into the deck (promo cards, white dwarf card, event cards).

So far we have the following amount of (official GW) cards per deck:

Random Events: 25
Miscellaneous Mayhem : 27
Magical Memorabilia: 10
Heroic Feats: 16
Benefits of Training: 16
Dirty Tricks: 10

I think it's a tough job going the route you describe.

Glamdryn
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Glamdryn »

Baxx wrote:So far we have the following amount of (official GW) cards per deck:

Random Events: 25
Miscellaneous Mayhem : 27
Magical Memorabilia: 10
Heroic Feats: 16
Benefits of Training: 16
Dirty Tricks: 10
Do you have the breakdown of these? I'd like to add it to the first post to keep track.

Wylder
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Wylder »

This is great info. Thanks for collating this info.

Are Miscellaneous Mayhem cards not equivalent to CRP 200k cards? I had been told that they were, but haven't looked at them myself.

stashman
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by stashman »

No cards are worth 200k. With all new infamous coaching staff and star players - who in his right mind pays 200k for a 'chance' of a good one time use?

New wizard is 80k
Karla von Kill is 220k
Kari Coldsteel for 50k
Papa Skullbones for 80k

So if I got 200k inducements as a Chaos team, I would go:
Wizard, Papa Skullbones and a Keg - spending only 10k.

That is alot better than a 200k card.

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

stashman wrote: So if I got 200k inducements as a Chaos team, I would go:
Just feel the need to point this out:
If you spend 10k from your own treasury you wont be get 200k in inducements.
Making treasury available to spend on inducements increases your TV and reduces your "free" inducement money.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

In BB16?

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

No rules change noted about petty cash, so one assumes there was no change.

lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

dreamscreator
Star Player
Star Player

Post by dreamscreator »

But that depends if you are the guy with more or less TV, I think...

Your opponent TV: 2000TV - You TV: 1800TV
Opponent doesn't buy nothing. You have 200TV and add 10 from your treasury.

I know this has been discussed thousand of times but... The new rules said: "In addition, either coach may use gold from their treasury to purchase Inducements. If the superior opponent wishes to purchase inducements with gold from his treasury, he must do so before the underdog purchases any of his inducements."

So superior opponent use his treasury before check the different TV, but underdog use his treasury after get the money from the different TV, so he can add his treasury to the inducement money. Well, that's my understanding...

Champion: Chimera Cup '17, Coffee Cup '18, Manticore Mug '18, Lucentum Twinbowl '20, Squig Trophy II '20, No me toques los Gnoblars '21
Stunty Cup: Exebowl '14; Bubba Bowl '17; OlletaBowl '20
stashman

Post by stashman »

Cash added to inducements dont give away petty cash. Best thing in BB2016

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

stashman wrote:Cash added to inducements dont give away petty cash. Best thing in BB2016
I've not read the new book, as said I'm going by the list of changes noted in this thread. Nothing is said about changes to the petty cash and inducement cash rules, ergo I didnt expect them to change. Can you show a screenie with the differences?

lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

Wylder
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Wylder »

stashman wrote:Cash added to inducements dont give away petty cash. Best thing in BB2016
This is correct. Spending cash on inducements doesn't affect TR.

Wylder
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Wylder »

stashman wrote:No cards are worth 200k. With all new infamous coaching staff and star players - who in his right mind pays 200k for a 'chance' of a good one time use?

New wizard is 80k
Karla von Kill is 220k
Kari Coldsteel for 50k
Papa Skullbones for 80k

So if I got 200k inducements as a Chaos team, I would go:

That is alot better than a 200k card.
Perhaps I should have asked "Is the miscellaneous mayhem deck not worth 4x cards from the cheap decks?"

My league uses free cards outside of inducements, and I'm trying to learn more about which decks it's worth pulling from.

JT-Y
Location: Chorley, where the police tazer blind people rather than look for the actual sword wielding lunatic

Post by JT-Y »

Q. Can you explain the steps for calculating Inducements in a bit more detail please?

A. Yes, there does appear to be some confusion over this, so here’s the sequence broken down into more easily followed steps:

1. Starting with the team with the highest team value, each coach looks at their Treasury and decides if they will spend any of their gold on Inducements. This gold is transferred out of the Treasury and immediately increases Team Value accordingly.

2. The coach with the lower Team Value after gold has been transferred out of the Treasury is granted an additional amount of ‘petty cash’ equal to the difference in Team Values as they currently stand.

3. Next, the coach with the higher Team Value at the start of step 2 decides which Inducements they will spend any available gold on.

4. Finally, the coach with the lower Team Value at the start of step 2 spends their gold on Inducements.

5. Remember that at the end of step 2 both teams will have an equal Team Value. It may be the case that after Inducements have been announced, one team has some change left that cannot be spent. This is discarded.

"It´s better to enlarge the game than to restrict the players." -- Erick Wujcik
dreamscreator
Star Player
Star Player

Post by dreamscreator »

JT-Y wrote:Q. Can you explain the steps for calculating Inducements in a bit more detail please?

A. Yes, there does appear to be some confusion over this, so here’s the sequence broken down into more easily followed steps:

1. Starting with the team with the highest team value, each coach looks at their Treasury and decides if they will spend any of their gold on Inducements. This gold is transferred out of the Treasury and immediately increases Team Value accordingly.

2. The coach with the lower Team Value after gold has been transferred out of the Treasury is granted an additional amount of ‘petty cash’ equal to the difference in Team Values as they currently stand.

3. Next, the coach with the higher Team Value at the start of step 2 decides which Inducements they will spend any available gold on.

4. Finally, the coach with the lower Team Value at the start of step 2 spends their gold on Inducements.

5. Remember that at the end of step 2 both teams will have an equal Team Value. It may be the case that after Inducements have been announced, one team has some change left that cannot be spent. This is discarded.
So team with lower value can't add gold from his treasury at the end of step 2, or the Team Value won't be equal.

I think almost all of us thought that has been change with BB2016 rules.

Champion: Chimera Cup '17, Coffee Cup '18, Manticore Mug '18, Lucentum Twinbowl '20, Squig Trophy II '20, No me toques los Gnoblars '21
Stunty Cup: Exebowl '14; Bubba Bowl '17; OlletaBowl '20