Blitz Bowl! New Blood Bowl incomming.

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

kyrre
Experienced
Experienced

Blitz Bowl! New Blood Bowl incomming.

Post by kyrre »

There seems to be cards:

* It is now or never (endgame challenge)
* Sprint (Bonus play)
* Cause some damage (endgame challenge)
* Enchanted ball (bonus play)

I reckon this is a 1 sprue per side deal. If so that is only 6 players each. It might be they add a single star player if they make it 7. The game might be card driven instead of action driven.

This is not blood bowl 7. The pitch is 5 squares shorter and lacks marked wide zones. Also, notice the scrimmage line is on the center row. The scrimmage line has two special white boxes on each side with orcs in them on the side.

I like it. The game is currently long to keep many newbies interested.

edit: Only one d6 for each side. So the armour roll is changed, or out.

Reason: ''
Itchen Masack
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Re: Blitz Bowl! New Blood Bowl incomming.

Post by Itchen Masack »

I like the look of...the dice. Gonna need to buy 2 sets just to get enough :P

faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

That's crazy looking and pretty unexpected!

I wonder if it's a mix between regular Blood Bowl and Team Manager? Can't wait to hear more about this!

EDIT: Ah, it's an "intro" game. 40 minute playtime is still intriguing though.

EDIT again: Looks like there is a blip here: https://www.warhammer-community.com/201 ... -new-york/

On the pitch, it looks like there are four statues. Wonder if that means you have to navigate around those spots? Also wondering if the game is only 9 turns total? That would certainly reduce playing time.

Someone mentioned that there looks to be only 3 stats on the cards: Move, Throw, and Armor.

Hmm, the dugout is connected to the main pitch by a square as well. Could that be like the "Sin Bin" from Dreadball, where players actually use movement to go back/forth between reserves?

kyrre
Experienced
Experienced

Post by kyrre »

So the pitch has two different sides. One with 2 and the other with 4 statues.
faust_33 wrote:That's crazy looking and pretty unexpected!

Hmm, the dugout is connected to the main pitch by a square as well. Could that be like the "Sin Bin" from Dreadball, where players actually use movement to go back/forth between reserves?
2nd edition had in-drive substitutions. The player would be setup in a special 4 square area for each team. There was no time limit for blood bowl 2 though. Play went until touchdown, and the first team to score a predermined touchdowns won. Usually 2 or 3.

Someone mentioned that there looks to be only 3 stats on the cards: Move, Throw, and Armor.
So they might have done away with dodging. You have to stay in your opponent tackle zone, or you can move freely. Might be card options for movement out of tackle zones. If strength is gone everyone is 1 dice blocking unless they have help or a special text. Also going back to a single for passing is a welcome change. I think they should have gone for d8, though.

Itchen Masack

Post by Itchen Masack »

The pitch has an odd number of squares. Guessing the LOS is gone? Or it'd be quite crowded on that white line.

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

No LOS in 7s either.

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

[Shudders with bad memories from Kerrunch]

Narrow Tier BB? http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/NTBB.htm
Or just visit http://www.plasmoids.dk instead
faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

kyrre wrote:So the pitch has two different sides. One with 2 and the other with 4 statues.
Nice catch!
kyrre wrote:2nd edition had in-drive substitutions. The player would be setup in a special 4 square area for each team. There was no time limit for blood bowl 2 though. Play went until touchdown, and the first team to score a predermined touchdowns won. Usually 2 or 3.
Oh, interesting. So that was probably a case of Dreadball copying an earlier version of Blood Bowl? I also kind of like the "first team to score 2 touchdowns", is the winner. Though that's tough on bashy teams, unless they can get their licks in fast.
kyrre wrote:So they might have done away with dodging. You have to stay in your opponent tackle zone, or you can move freely. Might be card options for movement out of tackle zones. If strength is gone everyone is 1 dice blocking unless they have help or a special text. Also going back to a single for passing is a welcome change. I think they should have gone for d8, though.
I'm guessing some positionals (like runners or catchers) might have a "Dodge" skill that allows them to attempt to dodge out of a tackle zone. They have to have some way to boost your blocking roll, or each Coach woudn't have two dice. Maybe that's also a card or a special skill.

It doesn't look like they are using activations, like Necromunda and Dreadball use. I always thought that would be the first big change they would make to Blood Bowl, but it looks like this game will mostly keep to the same rules. Sounds like they want a 'Blood Bowl - Lite' training/entry game. They should have used prepainted figures probably, for the general public.

Regash

Post by Regash »

faust_33 wrote:They should have used prepainted figures
And miss out on the chance to sell brushes, paints and other stuff?
NEVER! :orc:

El Hombre
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by El Hombre »

I'll definatly keep an eye on this one; I've been trying to play BB with my 7-year old son but the game prooved too complex and too long. Shadepire is a 100% hit is this regard: he can play the full version of the game. I really hope that will be the case with this game as well.

Those who will not follow are doomed to lead.
--*--Founder League of Rodents--*--
--*--Commissioner BBBF Online League--*--
DaImp
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DaImp »

They mention this being something to do with "The Crunch" - the legendary way in which new recruits are selected for Blood Bowl teams from back in the 2nd edition games. So I have a feeling this might be less of a game of Blood Bowl and more of a competition between individual players (models) to prove their worth to a new BB team. Or something like that.

I have real fears this is going to be awful though. :(

Jonathan Merry
Da Leeg Commissioner, Shaka Shield and SA Open Organiser