Next Gen Blood Bowl ... redux

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Next Gen Blood Bowl ... redux

Post by GalakStarscraper »

The other post had too many harsh comments developing which is exactly what we all agreed to never have hear ... so as many suggested the thread should be CLOSED ... hear that voyagers_uk or Wedge ... its a friendly request.

So as was suggested let's start over with basics:

Toby has suggested that if Blood Bowl was done up in an internet community based high software package that the masses would flock to it like Starcraft. Okay, the concept is cool ... let's address some points raised though without all the negative stuff surrounding the discussion.

Quotes are Toby's:
The Game of Blood Bowl is a joke compared to commercially sucessfull Games like Starcraft, Diablo, Ultima Online or Counterstrike. Germany is second to the USA the Biggest market for PC Games and over here only a verry small few of people even remembers Blood Bowl, let alone still plays it.
It should be mentioned that the scale is different. I agree with Christer on this one ... all those games have heavy elements of real time. Blood Bowl as software would never reach these types of popularity because it is turn based. Toby has mentioned that he believes that turn based software could sell millions of copies ... I just have to disagree ... I don't think turn based can ever compete with real time in a computer junkie's diet.
All the tools you talk of are fan projects which, while ambitious and great for fans, would be torn apard in any review of a software Magazine that did not know of Blood Bowl previously or someone who is a fan of the game.
I'll agree with the didn't know the game previously ... someone who is a fan ... no way. The fans of the game love both the PBeM Tool and SkiJunkie's Java client ... hands down no argument. When you find the person who is a fan of the game and tearing these games apart, I'll buy your statement. The game of Blood Bowl is VERY complex ... you are not going to suck in the audience you discuss because of game time and the rules. In order to create the type of mass market appeal that you desire you'd need a real time interface with GREATLY simplied rules and then its not Blood Bowl anymore. Microprose came out with a software version of Blood Bowl several years back and it FLOPPED ... you can get it on Ebay for $5. I really do believe that the only upgrade you could do to SkiJunkie's program and the PBeM tool which target to different types of players is to make the graphics 3-D ... short of that those games ARE the software products that you come up with. You've repeatly knocked both products ... I have to ask an honest question which I haven't seen you reply to yet ... have you played with either piece of software?
Balancing is clear is the single most important thing in Strategy Gaming, and if you think it is perfect in Blood Bowl i can only tell you, no one would play that Game ofer a Period of 5 Years like Starcraft and no one would earn 50.000 $ by winning a Tournament like top Gamers do.
I don't really care at all about 50k tournaments ... big money destroyed Magic the Gathering's fun in my opinion ... so the tournament prizes aren't a draw for me at all. Blood Bowl has been around since 1986 its approaching 20 years old ... 15 years from now I'll beat the farm no one will still be playing Starcraft.
think about Blood Bowl with the new possibilities of the Internet in Mind, get those thougts on Paper in a way that is detailed enough to maybe convince someone at Games Workshop that this could Work. So GW could present that to their Software Partner and say: look we got a Concept for one of our Games to try transfer it to a electronic Plattform here, lets go make a fantastic Game.
Toby in order to understand your position, I need you to directly answer this. What is SkiJunkie's program missing (other than 3-D graphics and some common area to trade like you want ... (again I think trading players is a very very very very very very bad idea)). I'm leaving the PBeM tool out of this question because its a different target market and could never be mass marketed. The only post I've seen that gives me some hints as to your issues with the SkiJunkie and PBeM program was this:
unless you already know bloodbowl, are fa fan of it, played before, or are pushed to give the game a try by a friend, you will probably not get acces to the game. (which starts to get interesting only as soon as the game mechaniks are known to you, and you have an general oversight of what's included in the game)

A total Blood Bowl, Games Workshop, Warhammer World, Tabletop newbie will most likely not attracted by a Game that is not on the same Technical and General Quality Level as Warcraft 3 for example.
The problem is you cannot still have Blood Bowl and make the game so that Johnny on the street can grab it off the shelf and rock and roll. The game is complex ... much more so in my opinion then Warcraft 3, StarCraft, Diablo, Ultima, etc., etc., etc. There are 13 balanced (yes, very balanced) races that provide unheard of diversity and challenges. The Living Rule Book as a software manual would never fly ... because on top of all of that you'd need to add in all the instructions for running the software itself.

I know you wanted discussion only on HOW DO WE DO IT? .... but in order for me to help such a discussion ... I need to ask first ... IN ORDER TO BE A MASSIVE BLOCKBUSTER SELLER, WILL IT STILL BE BLOOD BOWL? I like your idea, but I've been on both the internet side of computer gaming and Blood Bowl and I don't see the two marrying any better than what you already have offered by SkiJunkie's program as a base without starting to strip out the things that make Blood Bowl ... Blood Bowl ... see the shortening the game thread if you disbelieve.

The reason I'm posting this is I appreciate your spirit, but in order to get GW to respond you'll need a sales pitch that folks like the TalkBB crowd could agree with ... because like it or not the TalkBB crowd is your best source for gauging an idea you'd present to Jervis and Andy.

Last item:
I only said what i think blod bowl is right now in my opinion. (discontinued by Games Workshop, unavailiable in Stores)
I have to correct this one as its not true. Blood Bowl is a currently actively supported game by Games Workshop. It is available in their online store and if its not in your store already ... it will be if your store starts carrying the Fanatic display cabinet that Jervis is rolling out. Blood Bowl Magazine #1 was the MOST heavily sold magazine publication in GW history and that was only a year ago. New miniatures are coming out for the Khemri team in a couple/few months. New miniatures for the Amazon and Lizardmen teams along with a new Treeman and Thrud the Barbarian over the last year. A Blood Bowl website was started by GW in the last month along with a free copy of the rulebook online. Later this year, the NAF will be officially off and running which will track tournament points across the world for Blood Bowl coaches and will even give credit for online play ... these points will be used for invitationals for possible World Blood Bowl championships in England. Blood Bowl Magazine is going to start being published again in the fall.

So, my question is and I really would like to hear your opinion (I mean this sincerely (no sarcasm)) .... does this sound like:
discontinued by Games Workshop
Bottom line for me Toby ... I would love to help you with your dreams and ideas. I'm still missing the ground work though for your position. I'm hoping this post enables you and I and others to start over and maybe we'll all get something out of it.

Galak

Reason: ''
Anthony_TBBF
Da Painta

Post by Anthony_TBBF »

I agree Galak, the video game market and the miniature gaming market are two entirely different animals.

Sure it would be cool if everyone on the world played Blood Bowl, but let's face it: miniature gaming is a niche hobby. The fact that we have cool tools like the PBeM tool and SkiJunkie's client is only a by-product of living with the internet.

I think what Toby wants is exactly what the NAF is going to do. It's really going to take Blood Bowl to the next level. I am in charge of the NAF web site and I'm really looking forward to when everything gets going!

The TBBf is back! http://tbbf.obblm.com/
Toby

Post by Toby »

Thank you verry much Galak, that was exactly my intention.

Real Time:
While this would be interesting, it would be a completely diffrent Game.
It would not be "100% compatible with the Board Game", and therefore not what i have in mind. It would be possible, though, with the concept of pausable TRS. Paused, Coaches Give Orders. Game Runs. A turnover Event takes Place, Game Pauses, Coaches are allowed to change instructions. Game is unpaused and runs. This would still make you wait until the opposing coach finishes giving his instructions. You would have to click a ready button, that starts a countdown to force your opponent to finish. A faster Player can put up preassure this way. Again, it would be a diffrent game.

I want a 100% compatible Turn based Blood Bowl.

The Computer Aid speeds up the Game. Being a game for 2 players only, turn based is a smaller problem than it is with other games. Playing time must be +/- 60 Minutes i think that could be realistic with max 3 minute turns.

Civilisation is one of the best and bigest strategy games. It is currently designed for internet play, and its turn based. If gameplay is smart and smooth, it will work i am positive in that matter.

Anthony, what is that NAF thing all about ? Sounds exciting ? !!

Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

Toby - I think you're getting around those language barriers that I'm blaming most of the arguing on!

If I have what you're planning right, the Turnover rule would be unneccessary...you have a play. You tell each of your players what to do. Your opponent does the same, simultaneously. You let the game run it all...and allow the chaos to unfold before you...whether it work or not. Sort of like Roborally in many ways (a favourite at my Gaming club).

THAT could be fun...and you really wouldn't need to change anything from the 2K1 LRB...a few additional rules for when actions go pear shaped and for initiative would be needed but otherwise you'd be sorted.

I know a bear that you don't know. * ICEPELT IS MY HERO.
Master bleater. * Not in the clique.
Member of the "3 digit" club.
DaImp
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DaImp »

I truely don't believe an online version of BB could ever compete with the big name online computer games (Starcraft, Qauke 3 etc...). For one those games were designed from scratch to the played online as multiplayer computer games. Blood Bowl was not. Blood Bowl could potentially be redesigned to be workable as a online multiplayer game, but this would require alot of revising the rules and gameplay - so it could never be 100% compatible to the boardgame.

A game that takes BB into the realms of a 3D real time fantasy sports sim could be very cool :) But thats another topic really isn't it?

Plus for me the charms of BB is playing it on a table with real miniatures and a flesh and blood opponent - not on a screen via a computer network with someone in another country.
Playing BB online is a fun distraction to playing a real game of BB, but for me it will never replace it.

Jonathan Merry
Da Leeg Commissioner, Shaka Shield and SA Open Organiser
DaFrenchCoach
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DaFrenchCoach »

Toby wrote:I want a 100% compatible Turn based Blood Bowl.

Civilisation is one of the best and bigest strategy games. It is currently designed for internet play, and its turn based. If gameplay is smart and smooth, it will work i am positive in that matter.

Anthony, what is that NAF thing all about ? Sounds exciting ? !!
I'm not sure about it, but is Heores of MM 3, now Heroes of MM4 -doesn't it turn into a RPS ?-, are a turn per turn game... I'm not sure it's well known as a real online game, but I may say something wrong.

Toby, before starting something so ambitious, you would really need to make a real market survey... What are existing tools, what you would add new, what are factors key of success (and I'm sure one will be use only official rules... but I don't want to force you ;) ), what are the people potentially existing in, what are potentiel difficulties ... Please take it as a real advice, without shooting you down in flames !!! Let's imagine you make your doc file, and send it to Blood Bowl games designers, or to GW marketers... What they will look ? If you'd had some experience before about what you talked about, and if you have a coherent project. You can talk about a 50000 USD prize, and 10000 people playing with your tools, if GW marketing service makes a study in which it appears that this project would be interesting for 1000 people only, you would loose your arguments, even if the basics of your project (ie game mechanics, ...) are good. See what I mean ?

Anthony_TBBF
Da Painta

Post by Anthony_TBBF »

The NAF is a group much like the Warhammer Players Society, it is a large international club for BB players and will focus largely on tournaments and a world ranking system. It is currently being organized, we are aiming to get it going in August of this year.

The TBBf is back! http://tbbf.obblm.com/
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Yah I talked with neominal about possibly doing a Resurrection style PBeM tournament over only 4 months as a kinda kick off event in August/September

However, the real points for your world ranking will come from face to face minis games which is really where they should come from ... I just think its cool that all MBBL matches will soon count towards your world ranking.

Galak

Toby

Post by Toby »

@ French Coach, consider it as "Brainstorming".
I am sure a "professional" Blood Bowl Computer game would sell if some key handicaps like "Acces to the Game", "Eye Candy", and "Longtime Motivation" are adrressed in a clever way.

As to the issue Computer vs. Board Game.

Both have strength and Weaknesses. Blood Bowl suffers form verry Big Issue. You need someone to play, and for the most fun you need 10 or more People to play, with diffrent races. The second weakness is considered a strength by others, you have to paint models.

The Computer Game, while not beiing "the real thing", would enable us for example to log on into Battle.net right now and play. That can only be achieved with Computers and Internet.

The compromise i want to make is: 100% Board Game compatible.
You could play a game on the board with an opponent from your city, email the result to your league commissioner for example and play your next game online with someone from china.

That is my vision of Blood Bowl.

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

One minor problem with that one .... there isn't a league commish in the world that I've met that wants to deal with an organized league where the results come in with both tabletop and online. As a commish of 2 large leagues ... its enough trouble with just one format.

The NAF will handle tracking mixed formats so thats most of what you are talking about and will allow you to report results tabletop, PBeM, and online play .... so I have to ask aren't we already at your dream?

Galak

Toby

Post by Toby »

I imagine a system like Diablo 2's open and Closed Battlenet.

The Open allowing you to import and export your team (cheating verry possible) The Cosed storing your Team on a Server (hopfully uncheatable).

Galak plaease go ahead buy Warcraft 3 and play online. Then i hope you understand what i mean with an proper online gaming platform, thats comfortable, easily accessable and "official".

martynq
Super Star
Super Star

Post by martynq »

GalakStarscraper wrote:I just think its cool that all MBBL matches will soon count towards your world ranking.
I guess I'll have a really low ranking then!!! :cry:

Martyn

christer
Star Player
Star Player

Post by christer »

I'd say you're doing fairly well in our game Martyn. You're not exactly doing what I would do, but that's probably a good thing :)

-- Christer

martynq
Super Star
Super Star

Post by martynq »

christer wrote:I'd say you're doing fairly well in our game Martyn.
Thanks! I'd say that I'm an OK coach, but definitely not one of the best in the MBBL. In the local league I played in, I was one of the two best (out of 6). It was enjoyable the day my rookie gobbo team drew 2-2 with a dwarf team and then followed it up with a 5-3 defeat of a wood elf team. 8)

However, the coaches in MBBL/MBBL2 are a different class... my high elf team has now played 7 and lost 4 (indeed, lost 4 of the last 5 matches), while my MBBL darkies have played 3 and lost 3.

Martyn

P.S. Christer, in case you're wondering, the reason I haven't sent you another turn yet is that while I'm at work I can check e-mail and websites, but not run the PBEM tool.

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Toby wrote: Galak plaease go ahead buy Warcraft 3 and play online. Then i hope you understand what i mean with an proper online gaming platform, thats comfortable, easily accessable and "official".
But I don't even like online computer games and I definitely don't have the time to play one even if I did .... I'm a miniature gamer full and through.

Galak