New Star Player System (Brainstorming)

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

So Toby have you tried playing BB via IRC, SkiJunkie's client, or PBeM?

Galak

Reason: ''
Toby

Post by Toby »

No, for the reasons i already mentioned before.

I first picked my BB boxes back up from the cellar shelf and searched the internet if something had changed, the tools i found then were not verry brilliant.

now as i ran into the newly desinged BB Website, that brought back my love for the game.

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

And a want to play it when happen to have time which is usually weekdays at night. If you have a gaming club and people who share your hobby, thats great. But for the rest, the internet is the way to go.
Okay, this quote said you'd like to have some way to play BB on the internet when you have time.

I read through all your posts and I cannot find any reason that you gave for wanting to use the current software. I'd love to hear what you find lacking about it them that you do not use them ... not so much the IRC client but SkiJunkie's program and the PBeM tool.

Here's why. You could be waiting a very long time to play Blood Bowl via your super server that you envision ... in fact there is a good chance it could never happen.

Both SkiJunkie and the programmers of the PBeM tool read the posts on this board. Sooooo if you have a complaint or something that the tool would need to do for you to join an online league tell us. There you go an open ear. I'd start a new thread if you have changes/improvements you'd like probably under the PBeM topic.

Anyway since you said you had already stated what your problems with those pieces of software were and I couldn't find these posts, I'd thought I'd ask. If you want to play BB again and the internet is the only way, these two programs are your ticket.

Galak

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Oh and as a footnote ... for what they do ... I'd put SkiJunkie's Java client and the PBeM tool against a professional company trying to do software to accomplish the same thing anyday of the week.

These two programs are written by fans of the game who know the rules, play the game, read the posts on the boards, and respond to the users. The PBeM tool was BB2k1 compatible within 2 months of the rules changes and its FREE! .... lets see a professional software developer pull off either of those feats.

A game platform with a common room for 10k in users is nice ... having the game properly handle all the rules of the game for a single match between two players is the key.

Galak

christer
Star Player
Star Player

Post by christer »

Well, to be perfectly honest. Putting the PBeM tool or SkiJunkie's program against something professionally developed, the latter would most likely win in the "appearance" comparison.

This is due to the fact that professional developers have access to more or less brilliant graphic artists. Finding someone with graphical skills is a very difficult task, as you would soon find out if you look at alot of free applications. But sure, you could probably hire someone to make your application look very cool, but most people tend to prefer the free application over the one you have to pay money for.. Especially if the only difference is the appearance..

Mind you, I'm not saying the current tools are ugly.. I'm saying they could be improved (and don't look at me like that.. I'm a programmer.. :) )

-- Christer

sean newboy
Legend
Legend

Post by sean newboy »

Speaking for myself Galak i will say that pbem does lack one thing, thats the real time connection. I will die and go to heaven if anyone gets pbem running in real time with webcam a/v available, but im not holding my breath.

Hermit Monk of the RCN
Honourary Member of the NBA!
NAF Member #4329
Vault = putting in a 4 barrel Holley because the spark plugs need gapping.
christer
Star Player
Star Player

Post by christer »

If you want to play realtime, try out Avi Stetto's BBIrc (heavily used on olbbl), or SkiJunkie's client (I know of no online leagues using this one though :( )

-- Christer

Toby

Post by Toby »

Galak, you can really really not compare that !!!

I doubt your Email blood Bowl has 3D rendered sequences animating a Goblin beeing eaten by a Troll or an Halfling crawling out of a footprint after being overrun by an Ogre, that require a GeForce 4 Graphics Card to play.

With every respect to the free fanmade tools, they are better than nothing for Blood Bowl fans, but lack the funds to be produced as proffesional the way I illustrated above. As to the rules, and the Game inside the game, theese Programs do an great and amazing pioneer job !

It is really really tiring to say everything thee times. Go ahead buy Warcraft 3 and then we talk about computer games. Its like telling a blind man about colors !

ps.
I know for a fact that there will never be a Computer Blood Bowl that could compete with Warcraft 3 unless Games Workshop would be bought by Blizzard Entertainment, but that does not drive me away from the naive attempt to do some design experiments on my own.

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Sorry Christer,

I guess I should have been more specific ... I meant content. Yeah, a professional is going to have really pretty graphics .... but I have a feeling that the content won't be there ... look at the Blood Bowl computer game by MicroProse if you doubt .... oh course the graphics there weren't that great either ... :D

So to reclarify ... EXCLUDING the pretty graphics (you want pretty graphics play table top in the Woodell league) .... I'd put the content of the two current tools against a pro. I've never used the IRC client that is used by the OLBBL so I don't know how it compares to SkiJunkie's program, but I've been told Ski's program is nicer.

Anyone who has visited blood-bowl.net knows I value content over pretty graphics and in fact don't really see the need to bog down systems with them at all. Rather have low end computers able to see my work and have more people view it than have high end graphics and only a select few go .... wow!

Galak

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

So Toby .... graphics keep you from using SkiJunkie's program and the PBeM tool?

Its the only thing I've heard you nail so far.

Galak

sean newboy
Legend
Legend

Post by sean newboy »

Well Christer i never got the chat channel of it(bbirc) to work. Now i dont know if i needed to have an oppenent connect too, and that your not able to watch someone elses game as it goes, or i just have some file missing on my computer.

Hermit Monk of the RCN
Honourary Member of the NBA!
NAF Member #4329
Vault = putting in a 4 barrel Holley because the spark plugs need gapping.
Toby

Post by Toby »

Galak, in order to keep Blood Bowl alive and played by more than the 5 people here on the Board, you need to sell it.

And bla it would if sell if bla,
additonally balance bla bla, competitiven play bla,
diffrent play modes bla bla, diffrent likings and preferences bla...

Im bored.

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Okay, that's all I need to understand. You cannot answer a direct question about what is wrong with the current fan software other than graphics and then referencing blah blah when I really honestly trying to get your opinion ... tell me all I need to know.

Also last round of facts ... if you think that Blood Bowl is going to die tomorrow without professional software ....

1) Blood Bowl Magazine #1 was the highest selling magazine in GW's history.
2) People flew in from all over the world to play in the 1st official GW tournament this year
3) There are waiting lists to get into the current PBeM leagues.
4) BB is 20 years old in 4 years.
5) In August, GW will release the 3rd new set of miniatures for a team in the last year (Amazon, Lizardmen, Khemri) with more planned.

Yup, a game on verge of collapse played by only 5 coaches if I ever saw it.

You and Starcraft get back to me when its 16 years old and still breaking sales records for its company.

That's all ... I promised not to sludge fight with the other members so that all.

Toby

Post by Toby »

blah refers to things i already told u OVER AND OVER. :pissed:

As to the current software, if you read what i wrote:
With every respect to the free fanmade tools, they are better than nothing for Blood Bowl fans, but lack the funds to be produced in such a proffesional the way as I illustrated above. As to the rules, and the Game inside the game, theese Programs do an great and amazing pioneer job !
And stop accusing me of flaming you.

btw:
Starcraft is 5 years old and from a game design perspective Warcraft 3 is a successor 2002 as Warcraft 2 from 1993 is its predecessor. Taking into account that the internet was not suitable for online gaming (expensive access) in germany before 1997 that is quite an acomplisment.

Starcraft sold 5+ Million copies World wide and is still selling, while nobody exept a handful of freaks has even noticed Blood Bowl. Sorry to Face you with facts. It seems you are 30+ and have no Idea of the whole eSports movement that takes place right now.

Sooner or later someone will fall over the brilliant idea of evolving playing pieces and produce a bad clone of Blood Bowl i think.

Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

Note to everyone except Toby - please excuse the following. This has been building in my system for a few days now, and our teutonic comrade here just crossed the line.

<Flame>
Toby wrote: Starcraft sold 5+ Million copies World wide and is still selling, while nobody exept a handful of freaks has even noticed Blood Bowl. Sorry to Face you with facts. It seems you are 30+ and have no Idea of the whole eSports movement that takes place right now.
So we're all freaks are we? Thanks Toby. I'm usually proud to be called stuff like that...but I'm not taking it from you. You have shown up on this board - normally about the friendliest place I've been on the net - and in a matter of days managed to make yourself an enormous irritation to pretty much everyone with your "I'm right...la la la....I don't care what you say because I love Starcraft and only Starcraft is any good" mentality. You have insulted everyone who enjoys Blood Bowl, including most of the people who are the driving power behind the game's existence, simply because we point out the problems with this grand scheme of yours, which seems to involve dragging blood bowl backwards.

For the record: I could give a damn about esports - whatever the hell that means. I had never even HEARD of Starcraft before you started blathering about it on here, and you've managed to singlehandedly put me off ever even giving it a go, because if all the players have your attitude I'd really rather do something else.

</flame>

-edit for typos-

I know a bear that you don't know. * ICEPELT IS MY HERO.
Master bleater. * Not in the clique.
Member of the "3 digit" club.