Aboyt evening out the odds between teams with TR-differences

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

What do you prefer? The cards, the table or???

The Cards were awesome, bring them back.
32%
The table is cool. Lets keep it.
41%
None of the above. i´d prefer a different handicapsystem
27%

Total votes: 22

Piepgrass
Super Star
Super Star

Aboyt evening out the odds between teams with TR-differences

Post by Piepgrass »

As the poll states.
I for one am glad that the Cards have gone.
Make your choice.
if option 3 is chosen, explain what you would prefer to even out the odds.

Poul

Reason: ''
[size=150][color=red]VICIOUS[/color][/size]
The Copenhagen Wight.
bj0rn
Experienced
Experienced

Post by bj0rn »

i do like the new table system...but i have a few comments about the team rating calculations, as can be seen here: http://talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1074

Dangerous Dave
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Dangerous Dave »

I prefer the Handicap Table.

However, it does need amending - as even a number of Rulz Gurus have agreed!

Dave

christer
Star Player
Star Player

Post by christer »

I'm glad the cards are gone too..

Although the current table is, in my humble opinion, kinda weak. I recently played a tr 100 gobbo team against a tr 173 norse. For my rolls, I got "intensive training" (block on the ogre), Virus (one niggler on the other team) and morleys revenge (rolling a 1 ofcourse). Mostly "useless" stuff.. I'm under the impression that most often, the handicap rolls really doesn't make any difference...

To me, it would make sense to come up with a table using say 8 things that might happen and require larger difference to get a roll...

Something like this perhaps:

Code: Select all

Difference  Rolls
 0  -  15     0
 16 -  35     1
 36 -  60     2
 61 - 100     3

Handicap Table
 D8    Effect
 1     Extra Training
 2     Biased Referee
 3     News Feature
 4     In the Bag
 5     Virus
 6     Iron Man
 7     Bad Press
 8     Illegal Drugs
And yes, I'm sure there are better variants on the table.. Just chose 8 real quick to see if someone would agree with the concept.

-- Christer

bj0rn
Experienced
Experienced

Post by bj0rn »

eh well...the handicap table can be quite good...

i rolled a 11(apperanc fee) on it just the other day, making a dwarf runner sit on the bench because the opposing coach couldnt cough up enough cash to pay him...

ironically enough, later in the game when fans from both teams stormed the field in an huge pitch invasion (tied fan factor roll for 6 injured on my team and 5 on his team) the luckless dwarfen runner died from the rage of the "dwarfen" fans. i guess he should have played the game.

bj0rn - ...that will teach you!

Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

Handicap...well.....I like the IDEA of the table but it doesn't seem to really work...and to be honest I'm not really sure there SHOULD be anything to even up teams like this...bad teams get beaten by good teams. Thats just the way it is. If you want to play on an even field then play one off games.
Maybe use some sort of awards system for teams who get routinely pummelled. "and now on NAF Powerweek, our list of the teams who had a tough time of it in the last few games..." Punchbags of the week (team that suffered most casualties may buy a new lineman type player half price). Dolts of the week (team that accrued fewest SPPs gets a bonus MVP)...etc.

I liked the old cards for the fact that they allowed the incorporation of dirty tricks, secret plays and all that, but they're gone and I can't say I miss being robbed of TDs because my opponent has just the right card.

I still like the old second ed. thing of something weird happening every time a double 1 was rolled on an armour roll. You could throw together a table with all the cool stuff from the Random event cards there.

I know a bear that you don't know. * ICEPELT IS MY HERO.
Master bleater. * Not in the clique.
Member of the "3 digit" club.
martynq
Super Star
Super Star

Post by martynq »

I still can't help feeling that neither the cards nor the handicap table are quite right. For example, there are teams that are believed to be better starting off and other teams that are better once they've got to TR200, but nothing really balances a rookie elf team vs a rookie dwarf team, nor a TR200 elf team vs a TR200 dwarf team.

Martyn

Anthony_TBBF
Da Painta

Post by Anthony_TBBF »

Hrmm how about "None of the above"? The handicap table could use some tweaking but beyond that, TR differences are there for a reason. They tell you that you should be playing a team with a similar TR ;)

The TBBf is back! http://tbbf.obblm.com/
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

bj0rn .... quick footnote: Pitch Invasion doesn't effect the players in Reserves now. .... yeah, yeah, the LRB is vague on this, but its in the list of items that need cleaned up.

Galak

High & Mighty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by High & Mighty »

The part of the cards I miss was the uncertainty during the game of wondering what your opponent had on those cards that he was going to pull out. But some of those "The opposing team is swallowed into middle earth by a huge earthquake. Please take as many steps as necessary to reach the endzone, handoff and pass freely, and score immediately" cards were a little unbalancing.

Zy-Nox
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Zy-Nox »

There were some terrible cards, Pit trap and Mine spring to mind, if you had one of these you had a sure way of stopping a TD.
Teams could draw Random events to build TR quickly(more cash cards in the deck).
I did like the Magic Helmet though :lol:

I prefer the handicap table but agree some of it needs tweaking
My worst result on it for a match was Doom&Gloom and Extra training, I gain an extra RR for the match and my oppo has his 4 RR cut to 2 for the 1st half :cry:
Oh well :lol:

Toby

Post by Toby »

For me it is important that the handicap encourages you to play opponents that are superior because it speeds up the progress of your team. By Extra MVP's for example. On the other hand Power Teams should not be to exited about walking all over some bunch of Newb's...

The Team Rating should not perfectly Balance uneven teams - it should only give the inferior Team some Hope.

just my 2 cents.

As to the Cards: I like the Poker Element they added, that was exciting !

SBG
Super Star
Super Star

Post by SBG »

Table is cool, but need to be improved. Too many items that doesn't help at all...

Fred

LQN Commissionner and now 7-time champion!
Anthony_TBBF
Da Painta

Post by Anthony_TBBF »

For me it is important that the handicap encourages you to play opponents that are superior because it speeds up the progress of your team. By Extra MVP's for example. On the other hand Power Teams should not be to exited about walking all over some bunch of Newb's...
I find it is actually the reverse that is true - the high TR team is the one who advances faster. They are the ones that are going to score 4 TDs and get casualties. The end result is going to ba a loss for the newbies, lots of SPPs for the experienced teams and a crummy start to the new tram's career.

The TBBf is back! http://tbbf.obblm.com/