make Special Cards usable alternative to Handicap table

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Toby

make Special Cards usable alternative to Handicap table

Post by Toby »

I would suggest 2 Alternative Systems, both included in LRB 1.x

Who has purchased death Zone may still use the cards, and who bought a Edition without cards, must use Handicap or maybe reprint the cards from the internet ?

Handicap should be the Tournament system however, minimizing that Luck beats Skill.

Reason: ''
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

This is where GW officially encourages house rules.

The LRB should only have the single official way to play based on the current boxed set being offered by mail order.

If you have the cards in your league or use the tables in BB Mag #2 and want to house rule them back in ... go for it ... this is encouraged, but the official rules should not have variant rules included in them especially variants based on materials unavailable to the normal player.

Several polls have been accumulate on the cards and the majority always say they are glad they are gone.

I'll be honest, I'm in the camp that is glad they are gone ... commishing a league without cards is a lot easier than with. The cards are allowed in very limited ways in one of my leagues ... like having a spellcaster can give you a 66% chance to get a Magic Item card, but other than for limited flavor the cards could really turn a game on its head and make the victory very much luck of the draw vs skill.

Galak

neoliminal
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Re: make Special Cards usable alternative to Handicap table

Post by neoliminal »

Toby wrote:Handicap should be the Tournament system however, minimizing that Luck beats Skill.
Be wary of using the cards with the new system. One of the improvements in the new rules review is that money is harder to come by at the upper TR levels. Random Events are dangerous to this balance because they can really increase the amount of money a team gains. Even an extra 30-50K a game will throw things off kilter.

Toby

Post by Toby »

The Basic thing that i like about the Cards is the Poker "Game in The Game".

Why not make a new, designed for LRB 1.1 card Set that is for Download and can be printet, cut and glued on hardcover by the coaches.

As to Money. Have you already thougt of adressing the Problem the other Way round, giving the Teams more Opportunities to buy things.

For Example, when a Player is rewarded a Star Player Roll, the Coach could either Roll for Skills, or, Buy a Magic Helmet / Magic Boots / Secret Weapon for the Player. Or Instead of a Wizard buy a Strength Potion for one Player on your team temporarily adding +1 to his Strength for the Game.

(of course that requires details like ok you can only Buy 1 Item of a Kind, it fits to the guy who wears it only etc.)

Lucien Swift
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Lucien Swift »

this is the system i'm toying with at the moment...

handicapping, in the form of events, is crap. i'm not even a big fan of the convcept of handicapping a team just because they happen to have been older or more successful than their opponent (just because we're playing a game doesn't mean it has to be a 50/50 competition... if you feel that way, please just go play chess, this is an inherently unbalanced game)...

handicapping is no longer handled at the matchup level, instead, the new winnings and aging systems see to it that a team hits a very realistic plateu at some point, and that all the other teams will rise to that same approximate level, then begin a slow up and down pattern to and from it over time...

therefore, if you must have a system which "rewards" a low tr team for playing a superior team, then the goal should be to help that team get into this eventual range quicker... alternately, if the superior team is to be "punished" for playing down, then make it purely a money issue, thus encouraging the maintenance of the team at the plateu, since it's really money more than anything that does this...

so, a "handicap" should be a simple award of a winnings roll bonus to the lower-tr team, with an accompanying and corresponding negative modifier to the higher teams roll... that is, if you use it at all....

i've never been enamoured with the granting of bonus mvp's, so i leave them out...

the handicapping system has been a thorn in my side for years... i've seen veteran teams gutted by a few idiotic cards and coaches quit over it... i've also seen coaches abuse the bonuses by setting up "fixed" games to help along their new teams with sympathetic veteran teams wherte neither side really tries to do any damage while the weaker team collects the bonus mvp's to get the advances quicker (and they think thgat if they turn in a 2-1 score i won't ever notice... cheaters piss me off)...

as for the cards, or the handicap table, or whatever you have.. they have a place, the flavor and fluff they add to the game is fun, but they should be in limited supply and not guaranteed in a match... i like the bbm1 roll a 6, get a card/roll system... that way you get 2 event cards per game max.... about right... these aren't chaos cup games, here... well, not all the time, anyway...

iron chef kosher
longfang
Legendz Bedo Legend

Post by longfang »

Longfang let out a mighty cheer the day special play cards and team wizards were banned. There was nothing worse than the predictable lightning bolt touch down stopper or the spc that could trash a hard worked drive. At least now when the game starts your sure there are no nasty suprises to rob or reward you. Having said that it's always nice when your opponants star Wight kills himself on a Bannana skin!

[size=75]Del. [color=red]Tramp Champ. Media Tart.[/color][/size]

[url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14334#t=14334]Hall of Famer[/url]
Acerak
Rulz Guru

Post by Acerak »

Why not make a new, designed for LRB 1.1 card Set that is for Download and can be printet, cut and glued on hardcover by the coaches.

Right njow, if you buy the boxed set, you get the original rulebooks and an Update sheet that provides the results of the 2001 Rules Review. Next year, you'll get a copy of the unified Rule Book in the book plus an Update sheet that provides the results of the 2002 Rules Review.

Now imagine buying the boxed set and finding that you did not, in fact, purchase all the rules necessary to play the game. You have to log on and download these cards, and then you have to print them out, or you don't have the full rule set. (And I hope you have Internet access, or you're SOL.)

No, the rule book needs one set of rules, and it doesn't include the cards. If you want to use them yourself, make up house rules to cover them.

-Chet

Toby

Post by Toby »

Oh i thougt the problem is not everyone having the cards...

Hm is it so expensive to include these cards when a new Box comes out ?
After all, i always considered the Box content and cool game material what makes Board Games more "desinged with love for details" than a simple PC Game CD ROM...

What i would love to be able to buy is diffrent stadium boards with maybe stadium rules for each of them... you cant download those Boards ;)

DaFrenchCoach
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DaFrenchCoach »

The Basic thing that i like about the Cards is the Poker "Game in The Game".
Erm... Please don't see any flaming intention, but what is the relation between a "perfect balance", including new Halflings and Gobbos teams, and the using of cards as a "poker game" in the game ? :roll: :roll:

Even if somewhere I can agree with you. To be true, I think using cards in a "stand-alone" match really adds a lot of fun, as for the using of starplayers... In a running league things are different.
What i would love to be able to buy is diffrent stadium boards with maybe stadium rules for each of them... you cant download those Boards
Completely agree with you. About special rules, it depends on, but I remember I found great the idea made in the Fanaticon Tournament (Correct ?), which aims special pitch for each race... I found really impressive the Lizardmen/Amazons one... THLapin (if I don't make any mistake), would you please tell us more about it ? :D :D :D

sean newboy
Legend
Legend

Post by sean newboy »

There was nothing worse than the predictable lightning bolt touch down stopper or the spc that could trash a hard worked drive.
Actually there were definately ways around the lightning bolts, for one the glory's of ag 1 saurus'. I was a big fan of the race wizards.

Hermit Monk of the RCN
Honourary Member of the NBA!
NAF Member #4329
Vault = putting in a 4 barrel Holley because the spark plugs need gapping.
neoliminal

Post by neoliminal »

The cards are simply too expensive to include in the current printing of the game. Sad but true.

Trust me when I tell you that we spend a lot of time trying to find a way to get the cards back into the game without physically having cards.

Toby

Post by Toby »

What about Buying a Magic Item instead of rolling for a skill ?

That would allow you to have more controll over the development of your key players. For Example, saving money to buy a spiked Helmet for a Human Blitzer that gives you Horns. Cost: 150.000 ? Or 1000 Miles Boots or or or ^^

Or a temporary one game ST+1 Potion. Things like That.

I would love to have a more shopping options.

Ghost of Pariah
Legend
Legend

My feelings...

Post by Ghost of Pariah »

I would like to see the "wackiness" of the cards\handicap table seperated from a handicap system. What I mean is the handicap system should be cut and dry. (this many bonus rerolls for this big of a TR gap) and the cards\handicap table should be used as a random event generator for flavor.
You can't have a true handicap system when the results of the table are not equal and rolled at random. That is a random event table not a handicap system.

Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

Bring back the old second ed. "double one on an armour roll means something wacky happens!" rule!

I know a bear that you don't know. * ICEPELT IS MY HERO.
Master bleater. * Not in the clique.
Member of the "3 digit" club.