Buying bloodbowl, what 4 teams should I buy for starters?

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Xin
Rookie
Rookie

Buying bloodbowl, what 4 teams should I buy for starters?

Post by Xin »

Heya,

Am about to purchase Bloodbowl, including 4 teams with a friend of mine (going to invite some friends and have a go with a tournament). Question is what teams should one buy if you're looking for diversity?

My friend is thinking of buying the Amazon team while I'll probably be going for Dwarves and Skaven... so there's one team up for grabs, but which one should we buy? Is there a team that is not really all that similar to any of the other three teams I've mentioned (including humans and orcs)? Halfling/Gobbos would seem a good idea, but there are no star players awailable here in Sweden yet and playing without them seem... well.. um.. hard =).

Thanks in advance.

Reason: ''
Xin
Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

I'd go for one of the elf teams, probably Dark Elves. Possibly High Eleves. I think Woodies wouldn't be a good choice.

Look at it this way. The six original teams (that is, the ones that had rules in the box set) were Humans, Orcs, Dwarfs, Skaven, High Elves and Dark Elves...so fill in one of the blanks.

Alternatively, if you want something REALLY different, go for Undead.

BTW - welcome to the board. Where in Sweden are you?

I know a bear that you don't know. * ICEPELT IS MY HERO.
Master bleater. * Not in the clique.
Member of the "3 digit" club.
longfang
Legendz Bedo Legend

Post by longfang »

You must have an Undead team. Why stop at four team? :wink:

[size=75]Del. [color=red]Tramp Champ. Media Tart.[/color][/size]

[url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14334#t=14334]Hall of Famer[/url]
Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

longfang wrote:You must have an Undead team. Why stop at four team? :wink:
Because the exchange rate to the Swedish Kronor is absurd and so buying four teams and the box is bad enough on the wallet...

Piepgrass
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Piepgrass »

I´d say either the undead team or the darkelf team.

Both are great to play with.

Poul

[size=150][color=red]VICIOUS[/color][/size]
The Copenhagen Wight.
Ghost of Pariah
Legend
Legend

Post by Ghost of Pariah »

I think I'd suggest Chaos or Undead.
You have two "agility" teams (whether Amazons are an AG team is probably debatable) so I would get another "strength" team. Undead and Chaos are probably the most fun on the bashy side.

Xin
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Xin »

Thanks for the welcome, and for all the quick replies!

Thadrin I'm in Mora myself. You know that little boring town filled with beer guzzling teenagers boasting off with their newly purchased OK-Q8 hats. It shines once a year, but unfortunately for all the wrong reasons (Vasaloppet =)).

Anyway, Dark Elves, Chaos and Undead all sound good to me. Why would wood elves be a bad choice? Though, we'll probably only get WE if my friend decides to buy those instead of Amazon (still pondering on that one).

What about Lizardmen? What are they like? And High Elves?

Oh, btw, Thadrin, GameManiacs just recently started selling Bloodbowl products, at a very good cost as well. The address is www.gamemaniacs.se

- edit - totally forgot about Norse, aren't they a bashing team?

Xin
Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

Xin - Mora? Min blivande fru är ursprungligen ifrån Siljansnäs! hennes föräldrar bör dar, och hennes Syster och Svåger har precis flyttade tillbaks dit!
Du är säkert en av dem äckliga Röda Drakar fans eller hur? Heja LIF!

Xin
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Xin »

Thadrin - Baah!! Hockey.... :puke:

Och LIF? Än värre :P

Xin
NightDragon
Legend
Legend

My 4

Post by NightDragon »

My four favourite teams that I have played are Dark Elf, Lizardmen, Undead and Skaven. These teams enable you to try pretty much anything and so are great fun. Don't let anyone tell you to go for Dwarves or Chaos Dwarves and even Orcs. They are too one dimensional, fat and ugly.

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

My favourite team is Chaos Dwarf, followed by Undead. But I'll play with any of the official teams.

I think it's important to find 4 teams that you and your friend like (i.e. the look, the feel, the likely tactics).

It's worth getting a balance of teams in terms of strength/armour versus speed/agility. The teams break down as follows:

- Strength: Undead, Dwarf, Chaos, Chaos Dwarf, Orc (Orcs are also all rounders with a passing game).

- Agility: Wood Elf, Skaven, High Elf, Dark Elf.

- Versatile (all rounders who can bash or pass the ball): Humans, Norse, Amazons.

- Stunty: Goblin, Halfling (these sides are to play for fun, or if you are a very good, experienced coach).

- Odd: Lizardmen (they combine Strength and Stunty, with high speed)

The Dwarfs are one of the more difficult teams to learn to play (because they are the slowest team in Blood Bowl). They can be furstrating because of this. Once you learn to play with them, they can be fun.

Hope this helps

Smeborg the Fleshless