Leap Skill

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

neoliminal
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by neoliminal »

Toby wrote:would it be good if leaping would cost more movement ?
Toby!

Do everyone a favour and write up all the rules you want changed. I'll put them on a website for you if you don't have space, but you have to stop these bizarre threads where you pick one rule and complain about it. If you keep this up, people are likely to start ignoring them (which I'm sure isn't what you want.)

So collect all your thoughts and changes into one document... present them all once. I'm sure that the ideas would make more sense in the context of all your changes.

John -

Reason: ''
Toby

Post by Toby »

Hi Neo, well you are right.
but this is not about changes only. as you can see, french coach read the rule wrong as well ! he said he played "the wrong way" for years !

Look, i have to TRANSLATE every line of the Rulebook to my language, and depending on English Skills, sometimes some things apear quite strange.

DaFrenchCoach
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DaFrenchCoach »

Toby,

obviously, anyone should play the perfect way... Thads too has understood the same thing than me... Sometimes it happens, and it's not a problem.

Just 2 minor remarks:

1/ You would be more understood to my point of view if you'd post > house rules in house rules section, rules question in 2K1 section, ... it would avoid people, me first, think you want to break the rule, or you find it silly. If you do, so you'd post it general chat...

2/ Translating rules is very hard... It's the same problem for laws, btw (and the great weakness of European union, but this has really nothing to see here ;) ). Because there are some habits in every language, and sometimes the way of writing is completely different between english, as far i know and french, for example. And I don't talk about behaviours, which are also different between countries... For example, german are supposed to like order, and clear things, whereas english (cf Common Law) like rules that should follow them throughout the ages, without changing a word...

This (long and boring) introduction just in order to say you won't make a perfect version, and asking for every point shouldn't be the better way, to my mind... In the official french rule book, there were soooooo many typos , and errors of translating... You seem very idealistic by many points; just curious: how old are you ?

Just a thing, please: please call me DFC, shorter and simplier... I'm not sure you would appreciate I call you tob, or oby ;)

Toby

Post by Toby »

DFC ^^ (DaFriedChicken :p)
i'm 26. Well, i dont think the general things countries are said to be fit that much. I mean, look at my room... law and order ? CHAOS ^^

Well DFC, i think its a MAJOR issue of a NEW Blood Bowl Rulebook to differencate clearly between

CORE RULES (how to pick up the Ball) and COLOR COMENTARY (once the legendary Griff Underwald scored 33 Touchdowns in his own end zone...)

Core Rules should be written as plain and simple and straight as possible.
Color Comentary should be clearly seperated from Core Rules, and can be fun to read not needed to understand 100% perfectly.

DaFrenchCoach
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DaFrenchCoach »

DaFriedChicken
:lol: :lol: :lol:

it's a little bit weak (With Cyrano de Bergerac tone, for those who know a little part of french culture), you should have found: DaFartingChucker, DaFiendishCallgirl (erm... forget about french culture :lol: ) ...
i think its a MAJOR issue of a NEW Blood Bowl Rulebook to differencate clearly between CORE RULES (how to pick up the Ball) and COLOR COMENTARY (once the legendary Griff Underwald scored 33 Touchdowns in his own end zone...)

Core Rules should be written as plain and simple and straight as possible.
Color Comentary should be clearly seperated from Core Rules, and can be fun to read not needed to understand 100% perfectly.
You make a mistake here Toby. Blood Bowl needs a lot of things, but not a complete remake of the rulebook... BTW, I never confused the 2 things you gave as examples...

But it's a fact in non native countries, they were no major updates since 1994, or 1998, when the game released... Just in order to help people there to understand Toby obsession.

Toby

Post by Toby »

It does need a COMPLETE REDESIGN.

Just one Example. Its a *.pdf file... thats stupid.
It would be WAY better to design it as a .html File, use the same blood bow terms like "Armour Roll" & "Leap Skill", and use Hyperlinks throughout the Document.

i.e whats that "Racial Characteristic" Thing all about ? click on the Link to find out more.

Im sorry, i live in a computerized world.

martynq
Super Star
Super Star

Post by martynq »

Toby wrote:Just one Example. Its a *.pdf file... thats stupid.
It would be WAY better to design it as a .html File, use the same blood bow terms like "Armour Roll" & "Leap Skill", and use Hyperlinks throughout the Document.
No, I completely disagree. PDF format is very good for printing out and it's much more convenient to have a printed version in my hand when playing the game than a computer. (After all, I might drop the computer and squash all my lovely miniatures.) Please remember Toby that the game is a *board game*, so printed rules are much better for such. I know that you want it turned into a computer game, but I'd imagine that most here find the social face-to-face aspect of the game very rewarding.

Cheers,
Martyn

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

martynq wrote:PDF format is very good for printing out and it's much more convenient to have a printed version in my hand when playing the game than a computer.

Martyn
I agree entirely. PDF is much better for printing than HTML and I can't lug my desktop off to the pub where I normally play.

Ian

Toby

Post by Toby »

I dont see the difficulty printing a properly formated html file.

Anthony_TBBF
Da Painta

Post by Anthony_TBBF »

PDF is easier for them since they already have it all laid out in Quark. HTML would just be a huge load of work and they'd have to update two files.

The TBBf is back! http://tbbf.obblm.com/
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Toby wrote:I dont see the difficulty printing a properly formated html file.
So you'd want a single html page with the whole LRB in it?

Thinking about it, there must be stuff out there that will print all html docs in a given directory, or whatever. Even so its a lot more hassle than a single document that anyone can read.

Ian