How have the amazons done so far

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Mestari
Legend
Legend

How have the amazons done so far

Post by Mestari »

I haven't yet seen an amazon team in action, and I was wondering how they have managed in other leagues.

The cheap rerolls, cheap players, and the possibility to easily get block/dodge would seem to counterbalance the low av.

Naturally, they are easy prey for dwarves, there's no doubt about that :wink:, but how have they managed otherwise (on the short/long run)?

Reason: ''
[url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3460]-[/url]Teemu
[i][size=67]Don't lynch me! I'm the captain of the carpet ship![/size][/i]
christer
Star Player
Star Player

Post by christer »

I'll save Galak the trouble... First and third place in MBBL are held by Amazon teams...

http://www.blood-bowl.net/MBBL/Season1/ ... ndings.htm

-- Christer

Mestari
Legend
Legend

Post by Mestari »

So at least in the short run they seem to do pretty good, which was my assumption.
IMO the linewomen are too cheap, and so are the rerolls.

Other opinions?
How about in the long run?

Zy-Nox
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Zy-Nox »

Mine are doing fairly well, I've only played 7 games with them so cant comment on long term ability.
Won3 lost3 drawn 1.
They drew first then lost three and are now three wins straight :lol:
the first 3 games all had riots in them so lost a lot of turns,so I might have won them,
Heaviest defeat was 4-2 v High Elves (who were 60tr above them and I was missing a few players)
Played dwarf side twice 1-0 loss and 3-1 win.
I have a blitzer with dauntless/piling on who is very efficient at taking out opponents key players/big guys etc
Also I have 3 players with gaurd and 4 re rolls.
I hated them at the start because of those freak games :pissed:
but now I really do like them :wink:

[url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3460]Hall Of Famer[/url]
Novice Heretic
Wielder of the Trout of Nuffle Slapping
"I hope this makes sense,most things make sense in my head, but not to other people"
Acerak
Rulz Guru

Post by Acerak »

Long-term, I had a team at 18-1. But that's just me. My MBBL team just dropped a 2-1 OT decision to Dwarfs. The dice essentially sold me out, especially the 19 consecutive failed AV breaks against AV9 and AV8. Oh, and blowing the Apothecary roll didn't help, either.

They're a decent side, but if you play them long enough you'll actually find yourself pining for Humans. Why? Because all that MA6 can get downright depressing after a while!

-Chet

neoliminal

Post by neoliminal »

I'm having a hard time deciding if Amazons are overpowered or if we (everyone) haven't found the right tactics for stopping them. Obviously having this team in your league increases the value of Tackle by a bazillion.

Lucien Swift
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Lucien Swift »

i think they've just had the benefit of good coaching.... i've seen them fail miserably in my league under the guidance of a right squig-brained little twerp...

iron chef kosher
voyagers_uk
Da Cynic
Location: Nice Red Uniforms and Fanatical devotion to the Pope!

Post by voyagers_uk »

In my league the amazons were ruthlessly crushed and have suffered the most casualties of any team in the league, although they still have 11 players all of whom now have blodge. still fun to play against though especially with my trusty dwarves. :P

Acerak
Rulz Guru

Post by Acerak »

If you have an Amazon team in your league, you definitely need 2-4 players with Tackle. Otherwise, you're in for it. Just pick on the players without Block and put TZs on them. With AG3, they don't make all of their D6 rolls. Trust me on that one.

-Chet

Mestari
Legend
Legend

Post by Mestari »

Still, I'm not sure if the team design is sound, as the amazons seem to be doing pretty well pretty much everywhere and because they force the opponents to take a lot of tackle.
At least the costs of the players and trr's could be reconsidered, IMO

Lucien Swift
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Lucien Swift »

the amazons have had very little influence on skill selection in my corner of the nut-house... the same schmucks still take the same mix of skills every time... and tackle has never been popular...

...and personally, inless there were only 2 teams in the league, i wouldn't waste my skills on tackle, which really isn't used often enough for my tastes, just because one team in a dozen happens to start with dodge... i've beat the girls down (and been smacked around by them too) without it... now, if the elf teams all start taking dodge too, _then_ it might be a good investment...

one team will never inspire in me any great compulsion to take an otherwise 2nd tier skill...

iron chef kosher
Dragoonkin
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Dragoonkin »

My 'zons are currently sitting at... 3W, 2L, 6T. My first 4 games were ties...bare ones, too...then I lost to the Undead and Wood Elves (coached by our league commish, who rules...and I have no aspirations about ever beating :lol:)...then tied again.

Finally, it looked like things started goin' for me (IE, I had enough Blodgers and stuff other than Blodge) and I won against Chaos, then Dwarfs (yes, Dwarfs...didn't take a single casualty either), tied Undead (I was so proud) and beat the Norse.

Basically...as far as I've experienced, keeping your team alive to the point where you get Blodgers (besides your Blitzers) is veddy important...but the sacrifice is that you have people like your Passers and Throwers who haven't got Block and tend to get picked on.

After 11 games I'm TR160, I've had 0 deaths, I have 1 Niggling Injury. (And in a league where there's consistantly a death every game...people are getting jealous of this, even the 7-0 Wood Elves have had about 4 deaths.) I've got 6 rerolls, though this is basically a statistical anomaly because due to the fact I've had to replace no players, I've basically got tons of cash. Well not right now. I just bought another reroll and I'm down to 10k. :lol:

Team is 2 Passers, 2 Catchers, 3 Blitzers (1 added very late and has no SPPs yet), and 8 Linewomen. So far 3 players have hit the 16+ SPP range.

If anyone wants to see the "full" list I can just type it up. :D

Acerak
Rulz Guru

Post by Acerak »

Still, I'm not sure if the team design is sound, as the amazons seem to be doing pretty well pretty much everywhere and because they force the opponents to take a lot of tackle.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about Dwarfs! I mean, they seem to be doing pretty well pretty much everywhere, they force the opponents to take a lot of Block, and they force the opponents to stop taking Dodge! ;)

-Chet

Marcus
Da Tulip Champ I

Post by Marcus »

Haven't really had too many headaches against Amazons yet. Played a damn good Zon coach at the Tulip tournament, Using undead with only 2 tacklers.

Looked very nasty for me going into the match as he had something like 6-8 blodge players by this stage. Theory started well - he boxed me in and forced me to take blocks. Unluckily for the Zons my blocks came off and he started to go *squish* in short order.

Seems a bit of a knife edge team. Had my blocks not come off he would have gained the initiative early and put me in real trouble. As it turned out I managed to get the numerical advantage by the end of the first half and it escalated from there.

Marcus