Alternative Ageing Result & Star Player Roll System

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Toby

Alternative Ageing Result & Star Player Roll System

Post by Toby »

Star Player Roll
1-3 Choose a normal skill
4 Pick a trait or choose a normal skill
5 Chose any Skill
6 Roll for an player statistics increase

Statistic Increase Roll (Statistics can increase up to two points over their original value, maximum value is 10)
1-4 Choose to increase MA or AV
5-6 Choose to increase AG or ST

Physical Trait Roll (Availiable to Chaos, Skaven, Minotaur and Rat Ogre Players)
1 Choose to gain Big Hand or Claw
2 Choose to gain Extra Arms or Foul Appearance
3 Choose to gain Horns or Prehensile Tail
4 Choose to gain Razor Sharp or Claws or Spikes
5 Choose to gain Tentacles or Thick Skull
6 Choose to gain Two Heads or Very Long Legs

Ageing Result Roll: (Players can suffer each niggling injury only once)
1 Roll for an player statistics decrease
2 Gain niggling injury (Fractured Leg)
3 Gain niggling injury (Damaged Back)
4 Gain niggling injury (Smashed Knee)
5 Gain niggling injury (Pinched Nerve)
6 Gain niggling injury (Smashed Hand)

Statistic Decrease Roll: (Statistics can decrease up to two points below their original value, minimum value is 1)
1-4 Choose to decrease MA or AV
5-6 Choose to decrease AG or ST

Reason: ''
neoliminal
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by neoliminal »

What would the roll to figure out if you have aged or not be?

Toby

Post by Toby »

Just like Living Rulebook 1.2 says:

"As players grow older and gain experience, they learn new skills but may lose some of the vigour and toughness of their youth. To represent this, after you make a Star Player roll for a player, you must make a second 2D6 roll to see if they age. Roll the dice and add them together, and then refer to the chart on page 39. If you equal or beat the score shown on the Ageing column then the player avoids the effect of ageing and nothing happens. If you roll under the required score then the player has aged and another roll must be made on the Ageing Results table. Apply the result of the Ageing Results roll to the player’s entry on the team roster immediately. Ageing is a natural process, so results from the ageing table cannot be removed by an Apothecary or Regeneration, or by anything else for that matter!"

grotemuis
Super Star
Super Star

Post by grotemuis »

won't this make players to strong!!! seeing as the chance for a strength increase is considerably higher.

and with one sigh he managed to expres his total hatred for everything that's mankind
marvin
Relborn
Super Star
Super Star

Adeing

Post by Relborn »

As far as I evaluate the ageing rules of the actual version they would be quite fine. The only thing that disturbs me a bit is that the roll is conected to the star player roll.

The roll to determine Skills, Traits and Ability increases works quite well and I wouldn't change that. Traits are very rare, but that's intended and good so.

For aging maybe a solution would be to give every player an game counter which shows how many games he has played. After every 20 games played for example you have to roll for aging.

Mestari
Legend
Legend

Re: Adeing

Post by Mestari »

Relborn wrote: Traits are very rare, but that's intended and good so.
What was intended was that traits couldn't be accessed by players that didn't have an access to that category. That has been achieved with the current rule.
The sideproduct of that rule was that the players who had access to the category and used to be able to take the skill even on a normal roll now could take it only on doubles. Thus forcing a selection between off-category skill and allowed-category trait.
Which needlessly advocates a narrow selection skills appearing on players.

What comes to Toby's original suggestion, I agree that this might make a good house rule, except that Toby under-estimates the impact of increased number of ST and AV increases.

The stat increase table should be:

1-5 Choose to increase MA or AG
6 Choose to increase AV or ST

It could also be 1-4 and 5-6 if more ST/AV is desperately wanted, but definitely not 1-3 and 4-6 as in the original suggestion.

Otherwise the suggestion would be acceptable.

Still, I'm going for the table in the "Possible streamlining of a skill roll"-discussion

[url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3460]-[/url]Teemu
[i][size=67]Don't lynch me! I'm the captain of the carpet ship![/size][/i]
Toby

Post by Toby »

Grotemuis:
Yes, you are right. The Chance to get a ST+1 right now is 1/36.
The system suggested would increase the Chance of a ST+1 to 1/12.

BUT you have to choose between AV or ST and you do not have the option to choose a normal Skill instead. That means that not every player that gains ST+1 takes the same advantage from it as players currently do.
Keep in mind, right now the rule allows you to pick any skill or ST+1 or a Trait.

Relborn:
See the other (big!) Topic "Possible streamlining of skill roll"

There are some issues with the current system.
I think everyone agrees on the following two:
There is no replacement for the scratched Magic Helmets (AV+1)
Doubles are intended to give a 1/6 chance to gain a Trait, but at the same time some Doubles are required for a Statistics increase which reduces the number of traits assingned to players.
To me, i like to see a maximum of niggling injuries, and give Coaches a little bit more control of player developement, to counter the effect of Aging and Injuries.

Mestari:
You convinced me about chance i will edit the posting:
Stats Increase 1-4/5-6
That means 1/6*1/3=1/18 =5,55% Chance for an AG+1 or ST+1

McDeth
Legend
Legend

Post by McDeth »

[quote="Toby
Yes, you are right. The Chance to get a ST+1 right now is 1/36.
The system suggested would increase the Chance of a ST+1 to 1/12.

[/quote]

Although you can choose either +1 ST or a skill, i've not yet seen anyone take the option of a skill over strength. The Increase in ST is just about the no1 choice roll for everybody. the only way i can imagine anyone choosing a skill is if you already have had your ST increased.

Toby

Post by Toby »

Thats not 100% correct:
You can choose ST+1 or ANY Skill or a Trait.
That makes the choice quite a bit harder i think.

what do you think of the updated version with 1/18 Chance for either AG+1 or ST+1 ?