Again, Board Games suck, and here's why (tzz)

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Toby

Again, Board Games suck, and here's why (tzz)

Post by Toby »

Again, Board Games SUCK.

General Statement.

Complete it with "compared to computer games"

There's not much to discuss about, im just voicing a fact here.
HOWEVER, there are always exeptions to the rule such as Blood Bowl which is a fantastic board Game.

I list some advantages:

Real time.
Its simply not possible to create a turn based multi player game.
(because waiting is boring). More than 2 Players becomes difficult.
Multi Player (see above), Massively Multi Player (1000 Gamers and more in a Game)
The Internet.
Enables to always find someone to play on the net. This is especially true for blood bowl, where the full game unfolds with a lot of difftent teams, and player.
I can go on and on...
Graphics, Sound, Atmosphere... Miniature Painting is a hobby of its own; Not everyone who likes gaming BB likes painting BB, and Silver models are in anyway inferior to Graphics and cool, funny animations.

On the professional side, PC games generate more sales than hollywood movies. Doesnt need explanation i think. Board Gamers are a minority and its a waste to only targed the Board Fans with a good game concept.
(of course the concept has to be compatible to the diffrences that come along with computers) pure "board game conversions" (i.e settlers of catan) were never a success so far.

With technological advances, this will be even more true in the future.

Reason: ''
Pantera
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Pantera »

So why do you play Blood Bowl?

-Per
voyagers_uk
Da Cynic
Location: Nice Red Uniforms and Fanatical devotion to the Pope!

A little thought is required..........

Post by voyagers_uk »

Toby,

Whilst I agree that the Internet and technology allow us to envisage a great future for our favourite games, the phrase Board games suck.... even with a caveat is offensive to those of us who believe that our imaginations are better than any computer system will ever be and who enjoy the cut and thrust of dealing with an opponent across the dinner table watching their face for some hint of their plans.

If you don't like people playing with unpainted models, house rule it that they can't

If you have trouble finding opponents and need to find them using the internet great, go for it.

As for computer game revenue, this I am sure will lead Fanatic into that arena and yet this, as was stated in the other thread, does not give permission for joe public to steal ideas and run with them. I hope GW legal burns them at the stake and hoists the carcuses high at games days for years to come as an example. :pissed: :pissed: :pissed:

Our imagination is our greatest asset :?: , please consider others feelings on this board and try not to denegrate what we have here. :-?