Who has already downloaded and played this ?

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

DaFrenchCoach
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DaFrenchCoach »

Another french project, but which wouldn't be more developped, due to the lack of interest of their creators.

Reason: ''
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

The game is filled with bugs .... like the kicking team goes first on kickoff ... oh yeah and the game never ends.

Basically the designers realized one of the things that I've been trying to tell you Toby. Blood Bowl is a VERY complex game to code ... the ONLY two tool even trying to code the entire game are SkiJunkies and the PBeM.

Or to quote the BB Alive team from their own website:
Eventually we managed to finish the main game engine, the whole teams modeling and animation, the team editor. The last month of the development, I was working on the AI for the solo mode and Pascal was having headache trying to imagine all the cases ("If the player is pushed back against another player who is pushed out of the field who happened to have the ball, what happens?..."). We already had spent 18 months with our free time, but we realized that the game would never be finished because we knew what was remaining to be done. We were burnt out and we decided to make a break. That was in January 2000... Since there, we have been talking several times to continue the project but I guess the flame is gone. So, this version is the last built of January 2000. I don't think that there will be a next version, but who knows...
Its not an easy task. There hearts were in the right place though. I've said before that the perfect computerized version of Blood Bowl to be released into the market place would combine the best elements of the BB Alive, SkiJunkie's Java, and the PBeM tool .... these 3 projects merged together would be the product that you've been wanted to see Toby.

Galak

Toby

Post by Toby »

Good Morning Galak :D

Well, yes, you're right.

What do you think about the Look & Feel of "Blood Bowl Alive" ?

You talk about the rules implementation, but since Ski Junkies Game makes people throw up - graphically and when it comes to presentation - they never will find out how good the core game is.
(Toby exageration go jump on me :P )
Has SkiJunkie already conacted these guys ? (have you SkiJunkie ?)
If it was possible to seperate the Rules Module from the Graphics Module...

Well, DFC is BloodBowl availiable in Stores in France ? In Germany it isn't.
Mayby these Guys could be motivated to resume the BBA Project when they learn of LRB and join this Board.

Oh, Galak, The Game Design gets much easier when you kick the Computer Opponent and make it Multiplayer ONLY, like JavaBowl is.

DaFrenchCoach
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DaFrenchCoach »

What do you think about the Look & Feel of "Blood Bowl Alive" ?
To be true, here's the real limit of 3D graphics. Ths demo (let's call it like it) was made some years ago, and graphics are not so nice than the ones you can see now. I would appreciate graphics like Diablo2, or Age of EMpires, maybe less "glamour", bu tmore useful, and which would suffer from ageing ;) less too.
Well, DFC is BloodBowl availiable in Stores in France ? In Germany it isn't.
Mayby these Guys could be motivated to resume the BBA Project when they learn of LRB and join this Board.
No it isn't. But you're not wrong on this case, even if I guess the changes won't be enough for making them restart this project. I tired some times ago to join them, but they didn't answered.
Oh, Galak, The Game Design gets much easier when you kick the Computer Opponent and make it Multiplayer ONLY, like JavaBowl is.
Birdie says: something should come soon, that would make you :o ... Another french project...

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Response to Toby:

I think the look and feel were very much on the right track:

My vision of a great version of computerized BB is:

Graphics of the scale of BB Alive or better
The ability to save a log to rewind and review or play via email like the PBeM tool
The ability to customize the rule set from 3rd to 4th to internet like the PBeM tool
The ability to have full automation of your rule selections and for server play like SkiJunkie's tool.

Mix all of these together and you've got a product that you can sell. You and I will just agree to disagree on the need to change/simplify the roster or allow player trades as those issues never get anywhere.

Galak

Dragoonkin
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Dragoonkin »

I could never see PBeM with a fancy graphical client...as on most machines it'd take as long to star as it would to actually do your turn! Or pretty close. :lol:

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

The log would not play forward ... point in time saved.

Then you could review the log to see what happened ... not necessary to replay the graphics.

Galak

Mestari
Legend
Legend

Roguelike

Post by Mestari »

Let's face it guys: whatever graphics would be used, they'll get "old" in a very short time.

If we want to make a computer game that has the entire BB implemented into it, then we'd like it to stand the test of time just like the board game, wouldn't we?
Therefore we must choose as our graphical solution... ASCII graphics!
Has anyone played Nethack/Rogue/ADOM?
The emphasis is not on the graphics in these games, so the player concentrates completely to the game itself...

It's also a test of ones imagination!

For example, what do you see below?

D@

a) A red 'D' and a green '@'
b) Me facing a red dragon <- correct answer

ASCII graphics is the way to go :D

[url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3460]-[/url]Teemu
[i][size=67]Don't lynch me! I'm the captain of the carpet ship![/size][/i]
DaFrenchCoach
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DaFrenchCoach »

Agree with Mestari: as I said before, graphics in 3D will be "old fashioned" a day.

By looking on BBC (I wans't be in this place for months !) I found this link in a topic:

http://www.koalacomics.com.au/bloody/index.htm

It may have my interest, due to the fact it's really different from Blood Bowl: stats, a "football manager" touch... Nice ! WIll download it.

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

DFC,

I don't say this about many BB attempts ... but this one just plain sucks. Played it for several hours and found it non-inituitive to say the least.

Galak

DaFrenchCoach
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DaFrenchCoach »

I must admit I didn't play with it. I found the players not beautifully designed, but it seems it had some others interests mentioned before. But if you said it, it can't be without reasons.

Oderus Orungus
Rookie
Rookie

BB on a computer

Post by Oderus Orungus »

Why not just fix up the old BB computer game released by GW
It was very close to the old boardgame. It just needed customizable teams and more flexibility in team setups and some graphical improvement, not much, just make ogres look different than goblins and such.

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Actually that old computer game had several rules wrong. SkiJunkie's tool is a huge step above the old BB program.

Galak