Question on Skaven Boxed Team.

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Xin
Rookie
Rookie

Question on Skaven Boxed Team.

Post by Xin »

Heya,

A couple of quick questions for ya all...

1) does the box contain 2 or 3 gutter runners? It says 2 on the GW site but 3 on other sites.

2) Can anyone be so kind and tell me what kind of colors you would need to paint a skaven team. Bestial Brown is a no brainer but which paint do you use for the nose for example?

3) Team Boxes are still sold in Boxes, right?

Thats all, thanks!

Reason: ''
Xin
wesleytj
Legend
Legend

Post by wesleytj »

The skavenblight scramblers boxed set comes with 3 Gutter runner models. However they are VERY hard to find, I've been told Mail Order will only sell individual models at $4.25 each, not boxed sets. (Tho I haven't tried for myself so I could be mistaken)

As for colors, Beastial Brown is fine, I used Bubonic Brown for the unfurred flesh parts (like tail and snout), tho Vomit brown would work as well. Then for the uni's you can go wherever you want, but I am happy with mine. I used Blood Red with a brown ink wash, mainly.

Also I don't know if you know, but most storm vermin are born with black fur so you might keep that in mind. In that case you'd want to use chaos black with a codex grey drybrush on them. I painted my rat team a long time ago, and didn't know that at the time, so I didn't do that, but if I had it to do over again I would.

Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

Just when I've done my bloody Stormvermin too. Sod it. They're staying Brown. They're not Stormvermin anyway - they're Skaven Blitzers.
(Just like I have Catchers instead of Gutter Runners....I spit on your WFB position names.)
Using - what else - Vermin Brown for my Skaven, washed with flesh wash. Gives a nice dark, rich fur colour. Flesh starting with snakebite brown, a wash and then highlight with a Snakebite/vomit brown mix.

I know a bear that you don't know. * ICEPELT IS MY HERO.
Master bleater. * Not in the clique.
Member of the "3 digit" club.
Xin
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Xin »

Well I recently ordered the team box along with a big hand mutant, an extra lineman, an extra gutter runner and a rat ogre from mail order. Was no problem getting them... the separate figures went at £2.00 each, except for the rat ogre.

On the whole color thing... you are making me anxious with all those different colors... see I only got the Warhammer Fantasy Paint Set... will I be ok with that if I mix and water as I see fit or am I doomed without these special paints? If not, how should I mix my colors? For example... what colors do I use for the snot.

For the stormvermin (thanks for the tip) could I use chaos black and then mix chaos black and white to get something similar to codex grey?

Oh, and do you guys Varnish your stuff when youre done painting?

Xin
Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

If you want black fur on the Stormvermin I'd use a chaos black base and then mix a small amount of blue into some black until it looks noticably - but not too much - lighter. Drybrush this mixture onto the areas of fur. You could use white if you wish too, I think the blue would give a richer, sleeker look to the fur though.

Feel free to mix your colours - really you can get by with the base set and a large mixing palette, but I buy different shades for consistency in colouring of my teams. Not too important in Warhammer, but more so in BB.

Xin
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Xin »

Umm.. I'll come at as a true newbie here... but "drybrush" is that when you just paint "normally" if you know what I mean, and if so is there another way of painting things and then what's that called?

Also, if you take, for example, chaos black and thin it out with water.. would that work to create a dark ink?

Xin
tashton
Rookie
Rookie

dry brushing

Post by tashton »

dry brushing is when you put very litte paint on your brush and paint over raised areas of your models. hay i know some thing .
may your snots be with you. :D

wesleytj
Legend
Legend

Post by wesleytj »

Codex Grey is a very dark grey, so if you want to approximate that then just add about 1 part white for about 5 black.

Then drybrush it over the black. What that means is you dip the brush in the paint, then brush about 90% of the paint off the brush onto a paper towel (not on the model) so that there's VERY little paint left on the actual brush. Then you bursh it over the model, and a little of the paint will stick on the raised areas, leaving the basecoat visible over most of the model.

So what that does in this case is creates a black rat where you can still see the detail of his fur.

As far as only owning a few basic paints, that's OK as long as you don't mind mixing it...but paints are only like $2 each so it's certainly a lot EASIER to buy them. :)

Legend
Legend

Post by wesleytj »

Ooops missed a few q's i meant to answer.

Ink is pretty much just watered down paint. So if you want to mess with making an ink, just add water.

I do in fact spray a sealer over my minis, ESPECIALLY my blood bowl minis since they spend a lot of their lives getting pushed around and off their bases. Saves you a lot of touch up work later.

Finally, as a general painting tip, bookmark this site:
http://www.paintingclinic.com/

It has all kinds of answers to common painting questions, as well as tips for everybody beginner to expert.

Post by Acerak »

Anyone tried albino Storm Vermin? I bet that would be a cool effect :)

-Chet

Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

Longfang has hisAlbino Rat Ogre...and very nice it is too.

I think according to fluff though, all albino Skaven are destined to be Grey Seers or something. Could be wrong...WFB isn't my thing.

Bevan
Veteran
Veteran

Albino rats

Post by Bevan »

I have a cute set of albino Lab Rats with pink noses. They look like the sort of rats that will sit on your hand and wiggle their whiskers happily at you - until they get on the field and get a sniff of the ball. :evil:

However, the team I use now is from two packs of the plastic Warhammer regiment so I could make a full team of mutants as spares for the 16 member standard team. The plastic minis have varied hand positions, legs and armour, but opponents still found the positions confusing so I have black Storm Verimin, dark brown line rats and throwers and pale brown Gutter Runners.

Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

<Lucien>
What you need is BASE RING COLOUR CODING!
</Lucien>

Pantera
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Pantera »

As for the question about team in boxes, I think it can come without the box if you order from GW Mailorder. I got my Lizardmen "boxed" team without a box.

-Per
McDeth
Legend
Legend

Post by McDeth »

Interesting i just ordered a Chaos team and they came in the box with the transfers are the transfers back i wonder??