Keeping Track of Number of Games a Player has played.

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Toby

Keeping Track of Number of Games a Player has played.

Post by Toby »

When toying around with Exel i found it fun to record the number of games a player has participated in. It produces things like "casualties/touchdowns" per game or "12 games until killed"

Well, we came across the idea of awarding one SPP per game a player was availiable. That means on the field or in the reserves box, not "Missing Next Game" or missing becausedue of a Niggling Injury.

The reason is, my league dislikes ageing. I agree with other coaches that while its a good thing to have more players retired and players that are "no longer perfect" we feel its to hard to level up a specific player especially linemen. This is also affected by the no SPPs for a foul rule.

The 1 SPP per game rule would mean all of your rookies get their 1st skill after 6 games, unless they are killed or find a better team ;) I know this is diffrent but when i think of things like the Team Rating "Ceiling" and the proces of retiering and replacing players, this might make team management more fun. (We already agreed on a D8 game winnings roll to make it more cost affordable to retire players)

I would be thankfull for feedback, weather to introduce this feature to the league or not .

Reason: ''
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

As long as everyone in the league does it ... it would be a very unique experiment.

After 16 matches ... everyone would have 2 skills ... now that makes for a really good team. I'm not sure if you were going to do this and still have aging ... if you are then several members will suddenly age at the same time ... so the extra cash won't matter as you'll get 3 new aged players all after one match ... makes you not want to play that 16th game.

If you are not using aging ... then I don't see the point at all in doing this.

Galak

Toby

Post by Toby »

We use ageing; Thats why the complaints came up...
As some argued that its 2 expensive to retire players and it takes "a eternity" to get skills for a rookie in a developed team (you have to hope for MVP's basically) those 2 suggestions came up. 1 SPP per player per game he actually participated in, and a wider range of D8 winnings.

The D8 thing is fun. I started my humans without a medic, and in the very first game a Blizer was killed, so i loved the extra money ;)

Mestari
Legend
Legend

Post by Mestari »

Not a bad idea. Wouldn't use it in my league, but can't see any outstanding flaws either. Yes, if the team doesn't get any spp's for their linemen, they'd get better at the same time, and a few would age, but I don't think that's necessarily a problem: every team suffers the same after x number of games.
A good choice for a house rule if you want a skill-happy league.

[url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3460]-[/url]Teemu
[i][size=67]Don't lynch me! I'm the captain of the carpet ship![/size][/i]
Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

The whole key to this one is, as Galak said, that everyone in the league does it, and that your league structure supports it (I'm not sure, butmy guess is that this would work best in a schedule league as opposed to an open league.)

The 1SPP per game thing is something I've thought about myself - and I imagine there are many others who have too. I'm not so sure that Galak's fears of mass aging will be seen so much, not on teams such as Skaven and Wood Elves anyway, as players would miss matches along the way, giving a staggering effect. I'd be interested to see your results when you've played a season or two with these results Toby, especially if you have a good spread of teams.

I know a bear that you don't know. * ICEPELT IS MY HERO.
Master bleater. * Not in the clique.
Member of the "3 digit" club.
Marcus
Da Tulip Champ I

Post by Marcus »

how about rolling 1 die (or 2 or 3) above the current number of SPPs a player has after a match in order to gain an SPP?

1 SPP per player is equiv to a full 3 MVPs per match which I find a little excessive.

Could make for an interesting replacement to the MVP rule.

As for aging, I rather like it at the moment. Adds a little fear and loathing to the game and keeps the lineups fluid.

Marcus

Mestari
Legend
Legend

Post by Mestari »

with 1 die this rule wouldn't be of much use. Two or three it would give one skill, but not two.

How about (returning to the old subject of assistant coaches): each assistant coach grants you one assistant coach die. After a match, you nominate each assistant coach to a certain player. For each player that has nominated assistant coaches, roll a number of dice equal to the number of assistant coaches nominated to that player. If the result of the dice added together exceeds the number of SPP's the player has, he receives 1 SPP.

Not too simple, but this would concentrate the use of assistant coaches as SPP machines to the low-spp linemen, as you'd need several of them to ensure a single SPP for your 3-skill star.

Just an idea.

[url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3460]-[/url]Teemu
[i][size=67]Don't lynch me! I'm the captain of the carpet ship![/size][/i]
Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

For the assistant coaches I still like the idea of "Roll a dice for each assistant coach you have BEFORE each game. Each 6 grants you 1 SPP that you may allocate to any player who is available for this game. No more than 1 Coach SPP per player per game. If the SPP is enough to give the player a skill roll, make th roll immediately."
This roll would be made BEFORE Niggling injuries are resolved, so a guy could get the Assistant coach SPPs and then miss the game!

This neatly represents the better level of training recieved in the period between the team's games.

Acerak
Rulz Guru

Post by Acerak »

The following would be much more low key and less open to abuse:

* After the game, roll a D6 for each Assistant Coach.
* If ANY die roll comes up 6, you may add 1 SPP to any one player.

That means it's a max of 1 SPP per game, no matter how many ACs you have. We've all read about the team with 36 ACs getting a free 6 SPPs per game, etc. Ick :)

-Chet

Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

36 assistants? Jeez...talk about money to burn!
That way is fine, but I think in that case I'd make it 2SPP. 1 just doesn't seem like enough reward.
Also, I like the idea of inserting it in the pregame sequence, as I said, representing the training before the game, in the same way as the Inspiration or Bribe the announcers effects.

Either way it would be something to be tested...

Toby

Post by Toby »

I like the Idea that a Player gains experience by simply playing the game.

So 1 SPP for every game the guy was on the roster and availiable.

I mean, the issue is only that everybody has one skill after 6 games or maybe two after 16. From my experience few players live to see 31 games...

I mean look at the playing hours:
Lets say a game of Blood Bowl lasts 3 Hours.
After spending 48 Hours on a single Team every Player has at least 2 Skills. I think thats quite a lot and there are 15 Teams to play !!!

I mean i want to play Blood Bowl with its full tactical depth without spending even more time on a certain team.

To play all 15 Teams to 2 Skills per player assuming a Game lasts 3 Hours you would spend 30 complete days of your live on Blood Bowl...

:o

voyagers_uk
Da Cynic
Location: Nice Red Uniforms and Fanatical devotion to the Pope!

Post by voyagers_uk »

I don't think it is necessarily a good idea to reward a player for turning up. I do like the idea in theory but I have to point out that Phil and Gary Neville have been playing for Man United for years and are still as crap as they were on day 1, which is to say a lot. So just turning up doesn't lead to being a better player, some players should never have started playing the game.

But I have to say I liked the way this was going, just thought to re-introduce reality for a mo. :smoking:

Toby

Post by Toby »

lol :D

but sorry i didnt get what you think now voyager...
do you think the idea is not really like reality but cool for bloodbowl ?

Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

ANother alternative, that spreads the wealth a bit more:

The MVP becomes 3spp. Two other players on your team will get 1 SPP each.