fluffaholics of the world, unite!

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

ljm
Experienced
Experienced

Post by ljm »

Lucien Swift wrote:not neccessarilly binding... remember that some of us have spent our real-world lives with two or more different calendars (is it 2002 or 5763? depends on how i'm feeling at the moment) so these things really matter little... the dates in bb are useful for comparissons within the bb world, but don't mean much in relation to other games' calendars...
Of course you can have different calendars, but still I think that the original intention was that the dates are the same.

ljm

Reason: ''
One false move, wizard, and your familiar gets it!
Lucien Swift
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Lucien Swift »

yeah, i'm sure that it was the original intention of jervis et al that the dates coincide with those in wfb... bb was and is part of the gw stable of games and is, for better or for worse, a spinoff of wfb... the trick is telling yourself the things you need to hear to forget that fact and move on with life :P

Relborn
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Relborn »

Well Lucien you might be right with the crossbow and cavalry stuff. I haven't found it jet.

BUT as you said it was mentioned in the "did you know part". Well if you follow the history of bloodbowl it wents through a few centuries.

So my advise is: if you want to have the medivial components in the game, just play in the past aera of bloodbowl, when the orcs and dwarves have just recovered the holy book of nuffle ...

or

play in the current time, a few centuries later, with all the modern age stuff in it.

At last it belongs to you what you make out of the game. Not worth that much discussion. I hope GW will swing back to the 2nd edition - and the modern age aera, and the miniatures look very much that they are going that way.

Lucien Swift
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Lucien Swift »

yes, it is true that few hundred years have passed since the discovery of the book of nuffle... and things could have changed quite a bit in that time, but again, i just happen to take a very timeless approach to this world, the demands of the evolving game demanded things like cabalvision and team flying carpets and whatnot... the stuff came as needed, and the discovery and spread of these notions etc make great fodder for articles...

Relborn
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Relborn »

You misunderstood me Lucien.

I support the use of magic in Bloodbowl like Cabalvision or flying carpets. It gives BB that crazy touch.

But I would loathe to see Axes and Swords or Crossbowl in the actual fluff.

Lucien Swift
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Lucien Swift »

well, whether they're in the world or not, there isn't a lot of call for axes and swords and crossbows in the fluff... i mean, if you're not really going to talk about the specifics of warfare (which is increasingly rare regardless), does it matter how they fight one? if all you're going to say is "brettonia and tilea once went to war over the disputed reult of a football game" that's bb fluff... yammering on and on about the regiments and how they are armed and the battles involved is wfb fluff... so, like i said, it's one of those things were there's not rreally a reason to frett over the specifics of the world outside of the impact it has on bloodbowl... filling in teh fluff means filling in the fluff _that rtelates to bloodbowl_ and i'll be honest with you, how they may or may not fight the odd war that pops up ain't something that matteres much to bb (who fights it, why they fight it, how it affects match schedules, those things matter a little, maybe, but how... who cares...)

so, axes and swords and crossbows, whaddever... if i happen to think that the overall bb world is something closer to 1600 to your 2000... so long as we agree on the bb-specific fluff, what difference does it make? and i sspect that in the end, we'd probably be on the same page when it comes down to what actually gets written, since the parts that you're most worried about are the parts that will, in all honesty, figure into the projects results the least...

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Just cos BB been around a few hundred years doesn't mean it's world evolved that much. In WFB the Empire been around what 1-2 thusand years and they're not that technolically advanced.

My vote is for another Slann/Old One designed world which closely mirrors the WH world.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Lucien Swift
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Lucien Swift »

does it matter how the world really gets made? the priests of nuffle will say nuffle created the world to prove his version is best... the slann will say they did it for some reason, the guy on the corner will tell you it was the random interaction of particles exploding in a cloud of unformed matter, etc...

point being, the history of football would be compiled by the priests of nuffle... thir spin gets printed, who knows or cares what reality is...

Remco
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Remco »

Fot those who argue that it's a medieval world: last time I checked an engine (be it steam or gasoline) for a Deathroller or Chainsaw was invented way later. The use of gunpowder and cannons (Blunderbuss, Bomb) was also at the end of the medieval times at the earliest.

But then again, who says the BB world has to be compared to the real world?!?

Note to self: make sure to start every game with "PLEASE, DON'T KILL ME!!!!"
manusate
Veteran
Veteran

Post by manusate »

In the Discwolrd they DO have photo cameras. They are small black boxes with a little demon living inside that can paint real fast. And it is a medieval fantasy world (swords, wizards and so on). Well, it is a parody of almost all medieval fantasy worlds.

Blood Bowl world is a parody of Warhamer´s Old World, the same way the city Ankh-Morpork is a parody of Lankhmar. And its medieval fantasy.

BB is Discworld Football set on the WHFB map.

Valen
Walking on the beaches...

Post by Valen »

I was trying to stop out of this discusion of paralel universes and medival versus present day, as I thought it was really not that important, as I have always just read the fluff for a bit of fun without really thinking about it.

But I would just like to point out, in my opinion I have always imagined blood bowl world being exactly like the Discworld as Manusate stated in the last post.

I'm coming at you with razor blades and lemon juice... I'm talkin' pain, boy. Searing, mind-numbing pain!!!
Joshua Dyal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Joshua Dyal »

Lucien, I'm in complete agreement with you. Blood Bowl doesn't have to exist in a parallel universe, because to Blood Bowl, there is only one universe -- and it's a lampooned version of the WHFB world. Like you, I'd just use whatever from WHFB that I found appropriate, mix it up with whatever modern day professional sports references I thought appropriate, and let the anachronism of those two elements go to town. That's the nature of the whole joke, after all. Trying to codify too much, or make it all consistent and "sensible" only defeats the purpose.

[i]"Alea iacta est."[/i] Julius Caesar
Moonsong
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Moonsong »

:smoking: Me too...me too...ook, ook. :smoking:
And we got also some new star Players: "Carrot can play for both Humans and Dwarves".

Moonsong

[img]http://www.bluemax.com/animate/websitefAGIFdownloads/Flags/AllNations/G-N/italy_clr.gif[/img]NAF Italian Organiser
Valen
Walking on the beaches...

Post by Valen »

You have hit the nail on head there Joshua, BB and "sensible" should never mix.

I'm coming at you with razor blades and lemon juice... I'm talkin' pain, boy. Searing, mind-numbing pain!!!
Lucien Swift
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Lucien Swift »

really, the plan was never to _explain_ the bb universe, it was to develop it... an explanation can be concocted for those who need it, but i certainly never did.... i've been writing things for this like "the evolution of the football uniform" that follows a development roughly poaralell to the actual uniforms from owr football, articles about a few early personalities, and an argument for griff not being included among the game's all-time greats, etc... none of these efforts have, to date, required that the game have a basis in time or space, they've been referential to amreican football's history, have used nothing special from warhammer other than a few place names, and have included their share of inside jokes and parodies... in other words, bloodbowl fluff, no crossbows...

it's really is just about running with the joke...