The Kick-off table

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

bladerunner_35

The Kick-off table

Post by bladerunner_35 »

Greetings.........

......I am sure I have seen something about the kick-off table being given a "new look" or something.

I searched but could not find anything about this.

I personally like the kick-off table as it gives the games a sense of the Blood Bowl madness. Alas we have been forced to stop using it in our games since it has to great an impact on the outcome of our games.

What is the feeling on the boards about this....as I see it, problem?`

Have it been discussed earlier?

Thanks /Björn

Reason: ''
McDeth
Legend
Legend

Re: The Kick-off table

Post by McDeth »

bladerunner_35 wrote:Alas we have been forced to stop using it in our games since it has to great an impact on the outcome of our games.
you've answered your own question in that sentence alone

Ghost of Pariah
Legend
Legend

Post by Ghost of Pariah »

There are two big thorns in my side about the Kick Off Table.

Thorn #1. The most commonly rolled result is a 7. Which is Weather Change and the most common weather result is nice weather. So most of the time you end up rolling dice for no reason. Or you FINALLY get adverse weather only to have it change back to nice weather right away. This could be fixed very easily by rolling a D12 and having the weather result be 7-8. Easy. Why is this taking so long?

Thorn #2. The results that do affect the game can be devastating! Riot and Pitch Invasion come to mind immediately. Riot can be fixed by rolling a D3 instead of a D6 and the same for Pitch Invasion. Why are these taking so long?

Simple fixes that go very far in the game.

Traitor of the NBA!

I hate you all!
martynq
Super Star
Super Star

Post by martynq »

I don't think your Thorn 1 is quite so much of a problem. It's actually saying the most common situation is that a normal drive is played with no effect from the kick-off table.

Cheers,
Martyn

Ghost of Pariah
Legend
Legend

I think that it actually is too rare!
I think weather should play more of a part. I don't expect every game to have adverse conditions but in a 6 game season you might only play one game in odd weather and then the Kick Off table is likely to make it only for one half. Weather has a HUGE impact on a football game and should happen a little more often in Blood Bowl.

Traitor of the NBA!

I hate you all!
Mestari
Legend
Legend

Post by Mestari »

Clearly there should be a high probability (1/6 is fine for that purpose) of nothing happening. If something wacky happens on every kick-off, it takes away from the normal game. Why? Because this is bit like chess, and completely random and coachingskill-independent thing like the kick-off roll shouldn't mess that thing up. When developing offense and defense strategies, it's good to know that the single most likely event is that you can proceed without anything big happening.

(if someone even thinks about saying dice rolls are completely random and coaching-skill independent, let me respond in advance that with ordinary in-game dice-rolls you can effect the odds so it's not independent)

[url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3460]-[/url]Teemu
[i][size=67]Don't lynch me! I'm the captain of the carpet ship![/size][/i]
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

In a 14 game season I only (was due) to play in adverse weather conditions once, which was promptly changed to nice by the kick off table :pissed: .

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Ghost of Pariah
Legend
Legend

Darkson,
Now compare that 14 game season to any team's season in the NFL, CFL or any FL that you want. Doesn't seem right to me!

Traitor of the NBA!

I hate you all!
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

I totally agree, that's the pint I'm making. We want more bad weather. that's why we made the Albion weather table, which more accurately represents the weather here 90% of the time (rain, rain, rain and drizzle for variety - you'd thought I was in Manchester :lol: )

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Rustycan
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Rustycan »

I agree with Darkson. I would like to see more bad weather and better probability of actually making it to turn 1 with the bad weather, not having it change on the kick off. We have rain, snow , heat and sun, but what about things like fog, hiogh wind, etc. That would be cool. (For petes sake in the CFL they please knee deep in snow!!)<BR><BR>
Go Esks Go!!!!

When I was a kid, my father used to say the two worst things in the world are Ignorance and Apathy,
Well I dont know and I dont care!!
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

here's the threadwith my proposed Albion weather (and other rules):

viewtopic.php?t=2241&highlight=

Is this the sort of wether table you'd like or is it still to "normal"?

Mestari
Legend
Legend

Post by Mestari »

If you want to keep the best of both worlds, do this:

A.Make the weather table more radical.
B.Change the kick-off sequence as follows:
.....1.Roll a d6
........2a.On 2+ roll 2d6 for the kick-off table
........2b.Otherwise proceed without the kick-off table roll

Now you can have a radical weather and still have a fair chance of nothing happening at the kick-off.

[url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3460]-[/url]Teemu
[i][size=67]Don't lynch me! I'm the captain of the carpet ship![/size][/i]
gallowin
Veteran
Veteran

Post by gallowin »

Our league offers a wide variety of weather types (Coastal, Arid, Underground) depending on where your home team plays. Much like the Albion weather, you get a lot of one type of conditions.

IMO the "nothing happens" is already built into the regular kick off table. The free re-rolls and such give someone an extra chance to roll a 1. You add a re-roll counter and start playing. Big whup! It feels redundant to have a kick off result of "nothing happens".

"A twist of the wrist, a slip of the blade, and your posturing is ended"
DaFoola
Veteran
Veteran

Post by DaFoola »

I would agree with gallowin that the "nothing happens" result is more or less built in to the kickoff table.

The problem is not that there are too many results that influence the game, but that there are a few results that need a bit of toning down. For example, the Riot. For some reason, the only rolls I make that are consistently high are Riot rolls. D3 would be a much better idea, as a long riot simply reduces the amount of time one has to play the game, which really takes away from the game more than it does anything else. :pissed:

And as for the Weather, it is MUCH too wimpy IMO. Maybe if one had a more varied weather table (like the Albion table or the one in the latest House Rulez), or if 7s on the kickoff table didn't cancel out most adverse weather, the situation would be a little better.

ace2k00
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by ace2k00 »

Just a quick one to let you know.

the kick off table affected a lot of games in the spiky club open.

it seems the fans that turned up to the event were very very roudy as atleast 10 riots were held and numerous pitch invasions. however this didnt seem to get anyone down it is seen as part of the game and to lose it would lose the charecter of bloodbowl.