Ageing - Yea or Nay?

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

What should happen to ageing?

Poll ended at Tue Dec 10, 2002 2:23 pm

Drop it.
22%
Leave it alone.
16%
Change it to MVP/EXP
43%
Change it to Wear and Tear
4%
Tweak it
9%
Other
4%

Total votes: 67

Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

handicap system doesn't control team rating, unless you change it to affect the other teams players long term, but i would hate that. its too random compared to the rating on the other teams you play

Reason: ''
Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Why do we need ageing?

Post by Smeborg »

Hi again guys -

I repeat my question, which was a genuine one:

"WHY DO WE NEED AGEING? WHAT PROBLEM IS AGEING SUPPOSED TO FIX?"

We have 2 suggestions so far:

- "That it has been brought in to replace the handicap system." This doesn't seem to be the case, as the handicap system is still there, albeit in hobbled form.

- "That it is to limit teams to TR of 250-300". Possibly, but isn't this more the intention of the new match winnings table? It's easier to use money mechanisms to limit TR, and money is also much less random than ageing.

Please help me guys, I'm really trying to understand why we need ageing. I can't see it at the moment.

Cheers

Smeborg the Fleshless
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

Its to control team ratings, even with less money you can keep your players and still build them up and get a really large team rating.

Also i think aging is fun and it adds more to the game, if you don;t like it don't play in leagues :p

Ghost of Pariah
Legend
Legend

Post by Ghost of Pariah »

I hate this discussion cuz the big cheeses always tell me how wrong I am.

Get rid of ageing, allow Mighty Blow on fouling and give spp's for fouling. This controls the big nasties pretty well. It did in my league for several years.
We never had problems with monster teams.
My suggestion to the people who think dirty players would rule the league would be to put a penalty on the referee roll for dirty players. +1 or something. Or only use IGMEOY for dirty players.

Traitor of the NBA!

I hate you all!
Anthony_TBBF
Da Painta

Post by Anthony_TBBF »

pariah, just wondering what the typical season was like in your league... was it a short league or a long league... open or closed. We had a loooong open season and teams grew like crazy.

The TBBf is back! http://tbbf.obblm.com/
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Re: Why do we need ageing?

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Smeborg wrote:Hi again guys -

I repeat my question, which was a genuine one:

"WHY DO WE NEED AGEING? WHAT PROBLEM IS AGEING SUPPOSED TO FIX?"
Ageing causes increased player turnover. This has 2 primary effects

1) Reduce the number of star players. Its less likely that you'll develop a 5 or 6 skilled player.

2) Cap team development. Combined with reduced income increased player turnover makes it harder to keep a full squad going.

The mechanism ageing uses is fair as it does rely on an in game mechanic (e.g. increasing the number of stat decreases from injuries).

Personnally I don't see the point of #1 as players have a natural life cycle and #2 is handled by reduced income and freebooting of wizards and Star Players.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Ghost of Pariah
Legend
Legend

Post by Ghost of Pariah »

Season length varies with the number of coaches but usually it's around 10 - 12 games, semi open challenge.
What we typically do is say that the league is the challenge format but you have to play everyone once before you can play anyone a second time. Then we set a max number of games (usually the max is playing everyone twice)
We had 3 or 4 teams span over 3 or 4 seasons but none ever reached higher than 260.

Traitor of the NBA!

I hate you all!
plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

Hi all,
I suggested to limit the max number of skills to 4. (Maybe 5).
I'll stick with 4 - and then 1 player is allowed to go 5 skills. The "team captain" of sorts.

Anyway,
Khankill suggested that this would give a TR problem as players kept acquiring spps.

2 answers:
a) put a max on spps - the same place that you want number of skills to stop.
b) ignore it - and let it be the replacement for ageing. This way, big spp monsters will eventually have to be retired, without them suffering "sudden cardiac arrest" from an ageing/EXP injury.

Darkson said:
>Do you know many teams with a 7 skill player (not including startinfg
>ones)?
Nope, but I know a lot with a handful of 5 skill players, so I know how much such individuals affect the game. A max of 4 would put a reasonable stop to combo-build up.

Martin :)

Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

I like that i can build up players that have the chance to get 7 skills, i would be miffed if this was capped

Furelli
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Furelli »

I agree super-star players are fun to build up. We don't want the 'aging' rules to stop the possibility of 7 skill players, what we want (read I) is a method of keeping TR 250-300 the maximum.

The current aging rules do not encourage building super-stars as aging is linked with number of skills. EXP rules link aging with, well, age.

Furelli.

Am I living in a box? Am I living in a cardboard box?
skavenrus
Rookie
Rookie

MVP vs EXP

Post by skavenrus »

Mmm... I do like the idea of the EXP rule but it would take it more into the relms of Dungons & Dragons. 8)

"He who runs away..."
Ithilkir
Legend
Legend

Post by Ithilkir »

Bring back Mighty Blow level 4, thus capping teams very nicely ;)

Cheers,
Stephen :: LRB 5.0 Background Editor
Blood Bowl 2005 & 2006 :: Winner of Most Casualties
The Lore of Nuffle :: The webs biggest BB flavour archive!
Colin
Legend
Legend

Post by Colin »

Ithilkir wrote:Bring back Mighty Blow level 4, thus capping teams very nicely ;)
I like the way you think! :P

GO STAMPEDERS!