White dwarf

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

Darkson wrote:I started getting WD at issue 100, and wolud love for the diversity of the articles they had then in today's mag, but it's not going to happen.
Old farts unite! My first was 104...

Reason: ''

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Deathwing wrote:Old farts unite! My first was 104...
:o Cheeky young whippersnapper.

I started subscribing at 52.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Tamper Magnitude
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Tamper Magnitude »

My first would have been somewhere around 80, not sure though cos i wasnt a regular. Got a friend who has some really ancient copies in his loft, including the one that had the free Bolt Thrower floppy vinyl record with it :lol:

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

Bolt Thrower? Ah yes....I remember...GW dabbles in the music industry! :)
On the subject, anybody know who that is on the Res. video?
"Pullin' on my metal boots..."

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
Mestari
Legend
Legend

Post by Mestari »

Heh, Bolt Thrower was the first band that I listened to alot =-D

Excellent music. Deep-toned and vivid vocals coupled with very emotional guitar and bass. Without forgetting the cleverly built drumming. And the lyrics are indeed a masterpiece of poetry.

[url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3460]-[/url]Teemu
[i][size=67]Don't lynch me! I'm the captain of the carpet ship![/size][/i]
Dave
Info Ed

Post by Dave »

eeehhhmm :o :o :o

Mestari
Legend
Legend

Post by Mestari »

Dave wrote:eeehhhmm :o :o :o
Are you implying that there's something wrong with the description I gave of their music? :wink:

Searched around a bit and managed to find my three Bolt Thrower cassettes - Realm of Chaos, Warmaster and (best of the three) For Victory...

Wish I had something to transfer those cassettes into my computer - I don't have a cassette player to enjoy a bit of nostalgy :P

Although sadly I notice that the For Victory... -lyrics page has disappeared - makes it a bit hard to understand the "deep-toned and vivid" vocals. Luckily the lyrics of the two other cassettes are still there :wink:

Ah, true poetry, these lyrics, true poetry I say :wink:

Ithilkir
Legend
Legend

Post by Ithilkir »

Well a quick search on Kazaa brought up 116 Bolt Thrower mp3's :)

Cheers,
Stephen :: LRB 5.0 Background Editor
Blood Bowl 2005 & 2006 :: Winner of Most Casualties
The Lore of Nuffle :: The webs biggest BB flavour archive!
Dave
Info Ed

Post by Dave »

Honestly I don't know them but I'll be happy to hear of them soon. A band with a name like that must be worth listening to

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

I've got the Bolt thrower's "Realms of Chaos" on LP :o (That's a black vinyl disk for those of you to young to remember :roll: ).

Might have to put it on wen the missus has gone to bed (for some reason she doesn't share my taste in music - strange girl :lol: ).

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Ozle
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Ozle »

When was White Dwarf taken over by GamesWorkshop? (or they started putting GW on the front) as I seem to remember it wasnt GW owned when i started (could be wrong, fuzzy memories)

In the end the only thing i really read it for were the battle reports, but I dont really bother much now, I dont suppose anyone knows a good battle/game report site on the web, cos i cant find one?

Evil Git
Hoomin's Deliverer

Post by Evil Git »

Ah the heady days of rememberance...

I first got copy 98 and flicked through it, not really understanding everything that was contained in the pages. Eager to find out more i went in search of more stuff. Regular subscription took hold of me at copy 114 (i think, a couple either way anyway).

Bck then it did seem that there was a diversity throughout the pages. I'd always been into RP's in general and this was a continuation to me, especially as i was also fascinated by American Football at the time and so BB was the perfect compromise.

I think i got the last one at around the 170 ish mark. The articles inside were proving less informational to me, and all the rp games that me and my mates were playing at the same time took more of a hold on our minds.

Only recently, have i managed to think back to those times and discovered that BB was not the long lost game that i thought it must have been by now. I've also got hold of the last three copies of WD. Yes, it's a big coporate gimmick for GW but so what. It gives me painting tips (hell i need them for definate!) battle reports and ideas for his recaptured enthusiasm.

I'm not sure where i'm going with this. i just seem to be babbling now but i suppose my point at the start was to say that any organisation, especially in a small market needs to have as many different advertising options available to them. As an insight into the world of mini gaming in general, yes it's very blinkered, but what they manage to achieve each month is good quality stuff. The articles are well written, tips are concise, pictures look good. The only thing is some of the content.

Someone once said that you can't please all the people all the time (I'm no good with quotes) and so GW are aiming all their efforts onto the big 3 although i do see their views changing slowly for the better.

:o crickey i idn't know i'd written so much rubbish, sorry for that but ust my 2p's worth.

http://www.createforum.com/teamscotlandbb
Mestari
Legend
Legend

Post by Mestari »

Ithilkir wrote:Well a quick search on Kazaa brought up 116 Bolt Thrower mp3's :)
I've never bothered to start using those things. Maybe I should... on the other hand, I can still at the moment proudly say I've bought all of my music.
But on the other hand... I already have those three records so getting them in mp3 wouldn't be bad as I've already paid for them.

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Ozle wrote:When was White Dwarf taken over by GamesWorkshop? (or they started putting GW on the front) as I seem to remember it wasnt GW owned when i started (could be wrong, fuzzy memories)
IIRC it was Issue 90 that WD changed from The Role-playing Magazine (it use to have loads of AD&D, Runequest etc) to Games Workshop's magazine. Then there was a transitional period when they dropped all the RPG stuff and only marketed their own products.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

My first WD: the one that came with the transparent plastic thing that you used to work out vehicle hits and stuff in 40k. About the time they officially changed the Dark Angels from Black to Green.

I know a bear that you don't know. * ICEPELT IS MY HERO.
Master bleater. * Not in the clique.
Member of the "3 digit" club.