What race are Southstorm Squids?

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

garion
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

What race are Southstorm Squids?

Post by garion »

I'm trying to find out what race the Southstorm Squids were?

Are they Humans, Slann or High Elves. I have found nothing but conflicting information about these?

Hope someone can help.

Reason: ''
Thadrin
Moaning Git

Re: What race are Southstorm Squids?

Post by Thadrin »

Pretty sure there's a mention somewhere of them being Elves of some description. Not 100% sure. There are inconsistencies in the teams given races.
Also worth remembering that some races didn't exist in the 2nd ed epoch.

I know a bear that you don't know. * ICEPELT IS MY HERO.
Master bleater. * Not in the clique.
Member of the "3 digit" club.
garion

Post by garion »

True, its just the only race out of everyone that is mentioned that i cannot work out the race for?

SunDevil
Goblin Fancier

Post by SunDevil »

The Southstorm Squig Chasers are Goblins, right? Maybe that's just an extension of Southstorm Squigs. Because don't Goblins have Squigs in Warhammer? Makes sense this team would be Goblins.

But I, as usual, have no idea. :)

This is Chance from THREE DIE BLOCK - Your Blood Bowl Podcast! Stay off the sidelines!
THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO HELPED MAKE THE SIMYIN A REALITY!!!
garion

Post by garion »

Read it again - it says SquiDS no G ;)

hehe

Also while Im here what were the 8 Dungeon Bowl teams called from 2nd ed. The famous ones i mean. I'm at work and I cant check anything here :(

edit: its okay I found the dungeon bowl teams :) just need to find out what the Squids were now :S

SunDevil
Goblin Fancier

Post by SunDevil »

garion wrote:Read it again - it says SquiDS no G ;)

hehe

Also while Im here what were the 8 Dungeon Bowl teams called from 2nd ed. The famous ones i mean. I'm at work and I cant check anything here :(

edit: its okay I found the dungeon bowl teams :) just need to find out what the Squids were now :S
Heh, thanks garion. I guess it really is true that we see what we want to see. :D

Glad I openly admitted that I had no idea!

SquiDs sounds like a horrific Nurgle Tentacles experiment. Tents first skill on everyone and they always hire Lewdgrip!

This is Chance from THREE DIE BLOCK - Your Blood Bowl Podcast! Stay off the sidelines!
THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO HELPED MAKE THE SIMYIN A REALITY!!!
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

I thought they were Norse? Not sure.

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=35703

If no race is listed here (there's not) then it means it's 99.99% not to have been mentioned.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
garion

Post by garion »

Cool cheers for the link.

Ithilkir
Legend
Legend

Post by Ithilkir »

Had a quick dig about, but again I couldn't find out much more about them other than they disbanded shortly after the NAF collapse (they got shipwrecked off Estalia). The only piece of fluff containing a reference to them is the following:

"The best remembered Troll player of all time was Rumble-Gut Rockbelly of the now disbanded Badland Baddies. During a game against the Southside Squids in 2468, Rumble-Gut set the record for the most Team-Mates eaten in one match by consuming the entire squad, the coach, all of the cheerleaders, the team mascot, 120 fans and most of the south stand of the Squids’ arena"

Although nothing official is about the Baddies it seems that the Squids were entirely unedible which leads me to (COMPLETELY AND UNOFFICIALLY) believe they may have been a Nurgle type team or were smart and quick enough to get the heck out the stadium in time. The one record of results we have shows a low fatality record for and against (comparable to mediocre Elven or Human teams) and they likely have had a draw against a halfling team (Bluebay Crammers) so they weren't very good anyway.

They also may (or may not have even been part of) have won the 2465 Blood Bowl against the Marauders. It's currently them being beat by the Marauders but it may change next week due to so much magical shenanigans going on that no-one is even sure who actually was involved, let alone won.

So they had access to a ship, had some ability in the past, maybe had magical backing in the past as well, low fatality rate for and against and simply weren't very good anymore.

So take your UNOFFICIAL pick.

Nurgle (my unoffical preference, I like the idea of an orange coloured, Cthulhu themed Nurgle team)
'Pro' Elf
Human

*Edit.. Christ, did I just spend the last 20 minutes researching and putting together a couple of theories from the handful of references to the Southstorm Squids.... I love BB fluff! :D *

Cheers,
Stephen :: LRB 5.0 Background Editor
Blood Bowl 2005 & 2006 :: Winner of Most Casualties
The Lore of Nuffle :: The webs biggest BB flavour archive!
Ithilkir
Legend
Legend

Post by Ithilkir »

Ok, track back time... Something Thadrin sais about them being Elves stuck in my head so had a quick rummage through the 2nd edition companions guide again and there's another couple of references I missed (gasp!)

One of them refers to the team wizard back in 2465 as "Jeven Arrendil" which sounds fairly Elfy to me so ball is in the Elf court right now (assuming it wasn't just a randomly hired wizard)..

But wait, a couple of pages earlier in the weather section the fluff mentions that the Squids only play during rain which is entirely un-Elfy...

So ball is back in midfield. Think we can rule out Humans right now though and there was reference to Sea Elves in (I think) the 2nd edition star players... Hmm, to the research cave!

It may have been squid men mind you...

Cheers,
Stephen :: LRB 5.0 Background Editor
Blood Bowl 2005 & 2006 :: Winner of Most Casualties
The Lore of Nuffle :: The webs biggest BB flavour archive!
Wightlord
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Wightlord »

When we had a league in 88 they were a Chaos team - not at all sure why now though... ????

Things you never expect to hear in a sane world......"I went home a broken man. Contemplating my place in a universe where Shaniepoo was king" - No Number
And..."Shaniepoo is our glorious champion!" - Leipziger
garion

Post by garion »

Ithilkir wrote: So ball is back in midfield. Think we can rule out Humans right now though and there was reference to Sea Elves in (I think) the 2nd edition star players... Hmm, to the research cave!

It may have been squid men mind you...
there were sea elves mentioned back then in warhammer so that may be possible. If you can find refeence to sea elves in the star players wthat will be great.

here is a sea elf repeater crossbow - http://www.solegends.com/citcat912/c201 ... ters-m.htm

more about sea elves - http://www.collecting-citadel-miniature ... tors_Guide

Also I have just checked some of that fluff you posted and this is the most revealing -
"Magic Cooridinator Jevel Arrendel of the Southland Squids claimed to have invented a spell blah blah. "

So I don't think he was a hired wizard. I think he was on the books of the team, so my money is on Sea Elves and these would be the first reference to High Elves being a team as that is what sea elves later became in WFB. The fact they like to play in rain also supports this as Dark Elves were effected by weather in unusal ways so it makes sense that their opposite would be too.

Corvidius
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Corvidius »

I would have thought Dark Elves myself.

garion

Post by garion »

but dark elves hate rain, so that doesnt fit.

To be honest they were probably written as a joke squid team and then pomptly killed off in third edition so they didnt have to explain.