youngest/oldest naf player

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Re: youngest naf player

Post by sann0638 »

Go on then, oldest naf player?

Reason: ''
NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Loki
Legend
Legend

Post by Loki »

Glowworm

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana.
Gaixo
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Gaixo »

One of the more infamous members of our local tournament scene, NAF ID QuietDominator (a name that is misleading on all counts) has to be in his mid-60s, at the very least.

Magictobe

Post by Magictobe »

sann0638 wrote:Go on then, oldest naf player?
Calendar age or looks?

Heff
Dwarf fetishist

Re: youngest/oldest naf player

Post by Heff »

Me

Heff...Keeping the Dwarf (and lego) hate alive
If you cannot stall out for an 8 turn drive to score with dwarves then you need to go and play canasta with your dad..if you can find him.
Stout Youngblood
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Stout Youngblood »

We have a coach that is 62. Born December, 1951.

babass
Super Star
Super Star

Post by babass »

next question : what would be the first family with 3 generations playing bloodbowl :smoking:

Gaixo

Post by Gaixo »

Stout Youngblood wrote:We have a coach that is 62. Born December, 1951.
I spoke with the aforementioned local coach, and he's November of 1950. He'll be expecting a plaque. :)

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Alex (Dementor) played his first tournament at the weekend - 8 years and 8 months. Line in the sand :D

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
mzukerman
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by mzukerman »

Colin wrote:I think that if the game box says 14 and older, then that should be the minimum age allowed at competitive tourneys (private leagues and tourneys do what you want). :P
Hmmm... I go back and forth on this one. I run into it all the time with my private gaming group. And I'm a father of two boys (7 and 12).

Our league has had kids involved on and off. One started when he was 11. A very mature 11 I might add. Once he stopped fighting the conflict between his playing style and team choices and started linking them together he became EXTREMELY competitive and made the semifinals of our league at the age of 13. But you've already acknowledged that private leagues can do what they want - I agree.

When you get to a tournament, you need to know that this is an adult environment. There is a decent chance of foul language, crude humor and in some unfortunate cases, very bad sportsmanship. As a parent, you need to know that is going to happen. As a tournament organizer, it is not your job to adjust everyone else's behavior to cater to the fact that a child of 13 is in the building. However, it *IS* your job to ensure that the environment is suitable for playing the games in a competitive but sportsmanlike environment. If a kid is being disruptive to a tournament, then it is your job as tournament organizer to give a warning and/or ask the child to leave. I'd expect the same if an adult were causing similar issues.

So, kids at a NAF tournament? I think it's up to the parent. But the TO needs to speak with them and let them know that if the kid can't contribute positively to the experience then they will be asked to leave. Respectfully of course.

"I reserve the right to change my predictions when they are no longer true. I am The Media." ~ Snob Costas
libloodbowl on Twitter
Long Island Blood Bowl League
Empire Cup
nonumber
Super Star
Super Star

Post by nonumber »

I've got to say I'm not the biggest fan of kids starting at tournaments too young, 14ish is probably an okay age to start. I understand the idea of bringing in new players but I also feel the notion that the blood bowl demographic is some crumbling relic that's slowly dying out is a bit far fetched. It is however a typically more mature scene and I would personally prefer it to remain as such.

"Sometimes you're a big dog wearing a small hat, sometimes you're a small dog wearing a big one. That's life, baby."
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Fair enough - all of the tournaments they've been to I've absolutely said that I would have no problem pulling them out if it wasn't working, and I've known the TOs well enough that this would have been fine.

But afaik there haven't been any problems (in ~24 games).

NAF Ex-President
NAF Data wrangler
Blammaham
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Blammaham »

Have to be 19 to play in Thunderbowl. I wouldn't entertain the thought of a minor playing in out league. S.

Outstanding painting. Spike 2009!
DixonCider
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DixonCider »

My son is 16 and occasionally plays in the league, he prefers the hobby side of Blood Bowl. May be bringing him to Spike next year

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

sann0638 wrote:Fair enough - all of the tournaments they've been to I've absolutely said that I would have no problem pulling them out if it wasn't working, and I've known the TOs well enough that this would have been fine.

But afaik there haven't been any problems (in ~24 games).
I've played along side Sann's kids (Enderman several times now and Dementor this last weekend) and I have to say they behave themselves very well during the games. It's nice to have someone louder than me on the next table :lol:

I have no issues with kids playing in tournaments as long as they know the game and arent expecting me to tutor them during the game (post game replay is different, I'm all for helping out by pointing out rookie mistakes, mine and their's ;) ).

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95