youngest/oldest naf player

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Blammaham
Super Star
Super Star

Re: youngest/oldest naf player

Post by Blammaham »

DixonCider wrote:My son is 16 and occasionally plays in the league, he prefers the hobby side of Blood Bowl. May be bringing him to Spike next year

Tournaments are a different animal to me than league play. We welcome all ages to any of our tournaments. :D S

Reason: ''
Outstanding painting. Spike 2009!
nonumber
Super Star
Super Star

Re: youngest naf player

Post by nonumber »

mzukerman wrote:When you get to a tournament, you need to know that this is an adult environment. There is a decent chance of foul language, crude humor and in some unfortunate cases, very bad sportsmanship. As a parent, you need to know that is going to happen. As a tournament organizer, it is not your job to adjust everyone else's behavior to cater to the fact that a child of 13 is in the building.
This...

My reluctance to accept young kids at tournaments is less to do with them behaving like children than it is the grown adults being able to. Although I have seen a young lad slam his head on the table and lock himself in the bathroom crying because he was one square short on the range ruler.

Look at it this way, if I go for a couple of games of pool and a beer with the lads it's a completely different tone, different atmosphere, different conversation that if one of the guys was to bring his kids along. I go to a blood bowl tournament after a long week of working hard and risking the wrath of the better half to do so. I go to see my friends, unwind, and will undoubtedly curse the stupid (expletive) game and question why I bother turning up when the D8 scatters the ball to my opponents troll who catches on a six and dodges out. Youngsters in attendance make me feel as though I should act more like a *shudder* responsible mature adult.

...as I position my figures of magical creatures to play their game of fantasy football...

"Sometimes you're a big dog wearing a small hat, sometimes you're a small dog wearing a big one. That's life, baby."
Vanguard
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Vanguard »

Blammaham wrote:Tournaments are a different animal to me than league play. We welcome all ages to any of our tournaments. :D S
Curious as to why you see them differently?

As someone who has taken my son to tournaments for the past couple of years (aged 14-15) I can see the arguments for and against. Personally, I take him knowing that it's going to be an adult environment and he's going to hear expletives. I trust him not to repeat them and he always reassures me that the language in the school playground is much worse anyway. :o
Hate to think that bringing him along was somehow ruining someone else's weekend.

DixonCider
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DixonCider »

Blammaham wrote:
DixonCider wrote:My son is 16 and occasionally plays in the league, he prefers the hobby side of Blood Bowl. May be bringing him to Spike next year

Tournaments are a different animal to me than league play. We welcome all ages to any of our tournaments. :D S
oh I know it

Side note: if anyone is looking for a fun and challenging event I couldn't recommend SPIKE! in Vancouver area. Really hoping that a few of them are able to come out to POW Town in Calgary

EDIT: Also my son at 16 will call you on jerk like behavior and can take/give a good ribbing also.

Blammaham
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Blammaham »

Vanguard wrote:
Blammaham wrote:Tournaments are a different animal to me than league play. We welcome all ages to any of our tournaments. :D S
Curious as to why you see them differently?
The reason we don't allow minor aged coaches into Thunderbowl is simply because of our structure, we play a set schedule that will, from time to time, require games to be played off site. I don't think I'm out of line to feel that it would be very awkward to go to a 13 year old boys house to play a game with him or have him come to my house. It is a situation that I want to avoid.

All tournament games take place on site, so that kills the situation I outlined that would occur in league play. I'm not too worried about foul language and poor sportsmanship, a near certainty in the former and an unfortunate probability in the latter, all things that any person needs to deal with in any gaming situation I would think. S.

Outstanding painting. Spike 2009!
Vanguard
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Vanguard »

Blammaham wrote:The reason we don't allow minor aged coaches into Thunderbowl is simply because of our structure, we play a set schedule that will, from time to time, require games to be played off site. I don't think I'm out of line to feel that it would be very awkward to go to a 13 year old boys house to play a game with him or have him come to my house. It is a situation that I want to avoid.
Ah, fair enough. Our league is at a larger weekly gaming group, so I hadn't considered that possibility. Entirely understandable and prudent.

Snew
Legend
Legend

Post by Snew »

Colin wrote:I played a kid at the GenCon bowl in either '05 or '07 (can't remember which one, but I think '05), he must've been 10. I remember late in the second half he was out of rerolls, rolled a skull on a block and said, "that didn't count", and wanted to reroll it. :roll:
Gotta love kids (I believe he was the same kid who played Snew the year before and called him on IP even though Snew was letting it go all game). :D
I think that if the game box says 14 and older, then that should be the minimum age allowed at competitive tourneys (private leagues and tourneys do what you want). :P
That git has to be close to drinking age. He owes me a beer. :lol:

Have fun!
Cyrus-Havoc
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Cyrus-Havoc »

I believe I am the oldest active on Fumbbl, or at least of those prepared to say! Reached a major milestone at the beginning of the year. But glad to say not quite the oldest NAF player :)

Not Undead, but perhaps the oldest living coach.
Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

The guy who finished second in the Australasian group of the [fumbbl] Dutch open (mushoomy) is 14. He attended his first tabletop tournament back in Feb, taking best newcomer, and is due to join our local league next week. I also remember a few 16 and 17 year olds being involved in the Christchurch league and tourneys this last couple of years.

Look out world, we're training them from a young age down this way :)

League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

14? Greybeard :)

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Regash
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Regash »

So, at age 45, I don't think I qualify for neither. :orc:

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Snew wrote:
Colin wrote:I played a kid at the GenCon bowl in either '05 or '07 (can't remember which one, but I think '05), he must've been 10. I remember late in the second half he was out of rerolls, rolled a skull on a block and said, "that didn't count", and wanted to reroll it. :roll:
Gotta love kids (I believe he was the same kid who played Snew the year before and called him on IP even though Snew was letting it go all game). :D
That git has to be close to drinking age. He owes me a beer. :lol:
I'm seeing him on Tuesday Snew ... I can pass that along because I'm agreeing with you on that. :lol

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Stig
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Stig »

I'm guilty of taking many young players to tournaments as part of school trips - pink shirts if you've seen us. They're often below 14. Once we had one who was eleven years old play at table 2 in the NAF champs in round 3. This year at the NAF the award for highest finishing under 18 was won by a 14 year old. We rarely have any problems and always get positive feedback. We run a league in school and use going to tournaments as an incentive to do well. My opinion on this is that the adult inviting them should be responsible that they know how to play well enough and are good winners and losers. We've had pupils who have wanted to come but haven't been able to because we haven't been willing to take them. I think a blanket age restriction would cut out a lot of good players who would win a lot of games. Younger players tend to like stunty teams, as well as teams with imaginative and unusual builds. It's just not in a 12-year old's nature to trundle a dwarven cage meticulously upfield. It is lots of fun to play against younger players. I think they make our tournaments richer. I also agree that some tournaments should be over 18 only, no kids, so that players can relax and have a beer, without watching their tongue.

Heff
Dwarf fetishist

Post by Heff »

Stig wrote:I'm guilty of taking many young players to tournaments as part of school trips - pink shirts if you've seen us. They're often below 14. Once we had one who was eleven years old play at table 2 in the NAF champs in round 3. This year at the NAF the award for highest finishing under 18 was won by a 14 year old. We rarely have any problems and always get positive feedback. We run a league in school and use going to tournaments as an incentive to do well. My opinion on this is that the adult inviting them should be responsible that they know how to play well enough and are good winners and losers. We've had pupils who have wanted to come but haven't been able to because we haven't been willing to take them. I think a blanket age restriction would cut out a lot of good players who would win a lot of games. Younger players tend to like stunty teams, as well as teams with imaginative and unusual builds. It's just not in a 12-year old's nature to trundle a dwarven cage meticulously upfield. It is lots of fun to play against younger players. I think they make our tournaments richer. I also agree that some tournaments should be over 18 only, no kids, so that players can relax and have a beer, without watching their tongue.
I love those guys. l also don't moderate my language AT ALL. if you cannot cope with me telling my skink to "Pick the f@ckig ball up you cu@t " then you are too young to be there.

Heff...Keeping the Dwarf (and lego) hate alive
If you cannot stall out for an 8 turn drive to score with dwarves then you need to go and play canasta with your dad..if you can find him.
Stig
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Stig »

They love you too Heff! It's all part of the fun :)