Does anyone know Laughing Ferret?

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

frogboy
Legend
Legend

Re: Does anyone know Laughing Ferret?

Post by frogboy »

Never played cynide but from some of the stuff on here it sounds pootastic. Fumbbl is great, it's free and full of helpful veterans, there is a wealth of knowledge on the forums and the help threads about how to get started (which is easier than every before) plus people like Koadah running beginners leagues with rules which help new starters out. Dont get me wrong Fumbbl is still a hard place to learn to play well but that is testimont to the quality of coaches who play there.
Online play is different to board game though, but you can't always find a real game so come Fumbbl, games 24hours a day if you want them. So people don't chat because they want a quick game or because they don't speak the same language but you find that at tournament board games too. At least at home you can stick the tele on or listen to your better half tell you about there day whilst playing. It's all BloodBowl though and it all good.

Now what happened to this laughing ferret scoundrel?

Reason: ''
I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
koadah
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by koadah »

Regash wrote:How can you tell with no face in front of you?
Most games are played without voicechat, right?

By emotionless I mean there is noone there. I'm just staring at a screen.

And so many idiots out there doing things they wouldn't even dream of when playing face to face.
Like coming with a TV 2000+ team when someone asks for a newbie game.
Happened to me when I first bought Blood Bowl from Cyanide way back in time.
Happened to me 4 effing times in one week.
If you play against unknown people in public divisions then for sure you will draw some idiots.

I don't play in public divisions. I play in leagues. There you get to know the people you play against. You have banter, rivalries.

They may be people you have met at TT tournaments or leagues or they may not. Though you may want to seek them out next time you attend one.

No I don't use voice chat. It use the keyboard. That is fine for me.

Of course it is not the same as spending the evening in the same room with someone that you have known for 20 or 30 years. But hey, I've been chatting and arguing with some of these guys for more than 10 years already.
Though with some of them it seems a lot longer. ;)

Even in the Fumbbl Ranked division you can stick to playing vs people who yu have played or at least chatted to before.
The Fumbbl Black Box division is not so huge that you will not form rivalries. Though you may meet a few 'silent' coaches.

Regash
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Regash »

Maybe it's just me having a knack for drawing said idiots.
But all my experiences with online Blood Bowl made me stop playing online completely.
And I'm not gonna try again.

harvestmouse
Star Player
Star Player

Post by harvestmouse »

Regash wrote:Maybe it's just me having a knack for drawing said idiots.
But all my experiences with online Blood Bowl made me stop playing online completely.
And I'm not gonna try again.
That's fine for you, but I don't think you can tar the whole online community with the experience you had on Cyanide a long while back.

Personally, I think you're missing out and could have fun there. You enjoy using forums, like here. And there's that aspect in the big leagues. They're competitive, but there's also a bond between players too. You act like a fool, you are removed and the German league has a lot of TT players as well.

I definitely don't think you can disregard online without giving a big league or a fun division a go first.

WhatBall
Veteran
Veteran

Post by WhatBall »

Online leagues are great. Regular opponents, rivalries, grudges. Many have great fluff and banter. Well worth it for me.

Regash

Post by Regash »

You have your opinions, I have mine.
Similar things happened in other games, so I guess it's a problem of online play.

If you have other experiences or lke it like it is, good for you.

harvestmouse
Star Player
Star Player

Post by harvestmouse »

Regash wrote:You have your opinions, I have mine.
Similar things happened in other games, so I guess it's a problem of online play.

If you have other experiences or lke it like it is, good for you.
Ok, so can I form an opinion of your league in Germany? Based on what I know about you? Are you happy with that? As it's pretty much the same. You've formed an opinion on FUMBBL, based on some Beta or still Beta but classed as the full product Cyanide game.

FUMBBL has it's down sides, most definitely. However to give an opinion about 'online' play, including FUMBBL, from that is just...........yeah what ever. You have your opinion but best you keep it as just that.

Regash

Post by Regash »

Why does that seem to be a problem for you?
It's ME who misses out on online play.

Aynway, we better drop this subject as a discussion would lead nowhere.
I just don't like it, that's it.

harvestmouse
Star Player
Star Player

Post by harvestmouse »

As an example:
Regash wrote: And so many idiots out there doing things they wouldn't even dream of when playing face to face.
Like coming with a TV 2000+ team when someone asks for a newbie game.
Happened to me when I first bought Blood Bowl from Cyanide way back in time.
Happened to me 4 effing times in one week.
This doesn't happen on FUMBBL, ever. If somebody pulled that crap, they'd have their arse busted right away. As far as I know it doesn't happen on Cyanide either. You're giving people an impression of online play with practically zero knowledge. If you have an opinion of online play.........as you say, that's fine; everybody is entitled to having an opinion.

Giving an opinion though is a different matter. Then it's not just you who misses out, it's those who take your opinion seriously, when it's based on zero experience.

Regash

Post by Regash »

harvestmouse wrote:This doesn't happen on FUMBBL, ever.
You're right, THIS didn't happen on FUMBBL.
On FUMBBL, the few people I played with were just plain idiots.
And I don't like the client, I have to admit.
harvestmouse wrote:As far as I know it doesn't happen on Cyanide either.
Well, that is where you are wrong.
harvestmouse wrote:You're giving people an impression of online play with practically zero knowledge.
You are right, I didn't play to many games online.
But how many unpleasant experiences do you need before you give it up?
harvestmouse wrote:Then it's not just you who misses out, it's those who take your opinion seriously, when it's based on zero experience.
Are you serious?
I'm pretty sure anyone involved in Blood Bowl will try online play and surely not stick it up just because I say it's crap while thousands and thousands play online.

This is just an example of someone firing up, because someone else said, the thing the first person likes is crap.

And yes, the people I played online were way to competitive for my taste.
It felt like it wasn't about playing Blood Bowl, it felt like it was about butchering and crippling your opponents team for good.
And that is also something I don't enjoy.

'Nuff said 'bout that!

Stout Youngblood
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Stout Youngblood »

How did a post about a painting service morph into an argument about playing Blood Bowl online? :?:

JaM
Legend
Legend

Post by JaM »

Welcome to the internet! :D

Regash

Post by Regash »

Stout Youngblood wrote:How did a post about a painting service morph into an argument about playing Blood Bowl online? :?:
Since I am involved in this, I can tell you: I don't have any effing idea! :orc:

BillyDee
Star Player
Star Player
Location: Sitting in front of a mountain of lead, that ain't gonna paint itself...

Post by BillyDee »

It's okay, no one's mentioned CPOMB yet...

"Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, and everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?"
koadah
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by koadah »

BillyDee wrote:It's okay, no one's mentioned CPOMB yet...
I bet Hitler would have piled on.