Bretonnian roster... What's the deal?

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

J_Bone
Super Star
Super Star

Bretonnian roster... What's the deal?

Post by J_Bone »

So, what is people's deal with the Bretonnian roster?

It's coming on the new Cyanide Blood Bowl game and there are a few different variations knocking about. What are people's thoughts on it?

All I know really is that some people don't want it in the game. Do you think that having another human team is dull? Do you not like the way the rosters are generally built? I don't think any list I have ever seen is overpowered... It's not going to 'break' the game in any way I can see.

I personally don't mind it... I'd be happy to try pretty much any roster and find out if it fits the fluff, if it is fun and if it is competitive.

What's the deal?

Reason: ''
The brains behind the Double Skulls Podcast http://doubleskulls.libsyn.com/

Beardman.
Bakunin
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Bretonnian roster... What's the deal?

Post by Bakunin »

The team comes from Plasmoid...

The human, Dwarfs & Amazon, Lizard are the dull teams to me -and this seems to be a good-nature fluff team thats exciting.

You ofcourse have to play with the knight with stats: 8/3/3/8 Block, Dauntless, catch GS - AP

Galak 3:16 says "There is a point in time that a player really should read the rulebook."
J_Bone
Super Star
Super Star

Post by J_Bone »

Are they boring to you because they lack fluff or for some other reason?

The Plasmoid roster I've seen had 7/3/3/8, Block, Catch GP - AS... Seemed fairly good to me still!

Beardman.
Bakunin
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Bakunin »

I dont like the jack of all trades and one-trick-pony grind teams.
the lizards are just too skill-less, to be fun.

Galak 3:16 says "There is a point in time that a player really should read the rulebook."
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

The roster is just a bit meh, and has some odd design decisions without adding anything new to the game. 'Glory-hog' Blitzers with Passing access to make them better at giving the ball to someone else? Or is it selfish feudal lords who have easier access to 'Leader' to inspire the peasants they don't care about? :wink:

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
J_Bone
Super Star
Super Star

Post by J_Bone »

That's what attracts me to them... Showing off, hogging the glory, and beating up on the proletariats. Fend spamming across low agility linemen interested me as an idea too. I thought that added something a bit different to the game.

Beardman.
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

In a game with Wardancers and Gutter Runners, I'm not sure how these Knights are going to show off. :wink: Maybe if they had Agility access at least.

DinoTitanedition
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by DinoTitanedition »

Seconded J_Bone. I don`t care WHO made the roster, to me it seems well balanced and offers a fresh approach with all-fend peasants. The fluff also seems like someone was really thinking it over. Personally I cannot see anything bad about the roster. Some might not like the idea of "another human team", but I don`t see too many complaints about the amount of elf-teams or the other humans (norse and amazon) either.

I have already played against a Bretonnian team and for that one game they seemed well rounded to me. Nor are they overpowered or too weak. From my point of view one of the best rosters in recent years.

EDIT: By the way, this is finally the place I believe this conversation really belongs to. Not the flaming glory of Facebook...

legowarrior
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by legowarrior »

I would want to see the Bretonnian have 9 Armor, so that I can say that it is as tough as Orcs and fast as wood elves.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Boring and could be any team, no reflection on the fluff.
Totally unneccesary anyway, as Bretts in the BB universe are covered by the human roster (as per JJ), when there are so many other areas which could have been covered.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Sandwich
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Sandwich »

Why on earth do peasants (or whatever they're called) get Fend? What possible fluff can you have, that says a poor down-trodden farmer can hold off the advances of a black orc/ogre/dwarf??

I'm happy to see new rosters floated about, with interesting ideas (and don't get me wrong, Fend-spam is a decent idea to build a roster on), but this just seems rubbish to me.

And also: they're bretonnians, which are humans... so they already have a roster. Unless you want to create 300 or so other human rosters...

Stunty Cup: NAFC 2014, WISB IV
Most TDs: Cambridge Doubles 2011, Carrot Crunch VI, Boudica Bowl
Wooden Spoon: STABB Cup 2
DinoTitanedition
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by DinoTitanedition »

no reflection on the fluff.
Totally unneccesary anyway, as Bretts in the BB universe are covered by the human roster (as per JJ), when there are so many other areas which could have been covered.
The fluff is actually covered pretty well in the racedescription. Have you read it? Or the Bretonnian fluff at all.

As for neccessity why is a Nurgleteam needed, when there is Chaos? Why is a Goblinteam needed, when they are covere well enough in Orcteams? Why Norse or Amazonteams, when they are also just humans? Why four different Elfteams, when one could cover them all? Seriously....that argument is NO argument...
Why on earth do peasants (or whatever they're called) get Fend? What possible fluff can you have, that says a poor down-trodden farmer can hold off the advances of a black orc/ogre/dwarf??
Easy - as lowest of the lowest in Bretonnia they simply learned how to avoid a beating.

Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

Joemanji wrote:The roster is just a bit meh, and has some odd design decisions without adding anything new to the game.
Darkson wrote:Totally unneccesary anyway, as Bretts in the BB universe are covered by the human roster (as per JJ), when there are so many other areas which could have been covered.
Sandwich wrote:Why on earth do peasants (or whatever they're called) get Fend? What possible fluff can you have, that says a poor down-trodden farmer can hold off the advances of a black orc/ogre/dwarf??

I'm happy to see new rosters floated about, with interesting ideas (and don't get me wrong, Fend-spam is a decent idea to build a roster on), but this just seems rubbish to me.

And also: they're bretonnians, which are humans... so they already have a roster. Unless you want to create 300 or so other human rosters...
Agree with these guys.

The bottom line for me is that the only reason I can imagine wanting to play it is if I were a whfb fanboy. Take away the fluff (from a fluff outsider's point of view a feudal knight team that isn't merely the human roster sounds absolutely crap) and I'm not at all convinced that the roster stands up on its own merit.

Uninspired by the roster design, uninspired by the fluff. Which is fine for plasmoid's local league or whatever, but as one of only eight teams in the blood bowl computer game? No thanks.

League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

Shteve0 wrote:...as one of only eight teams in the blood bowl computer game? No thanks.
Quite.

Rolex
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Rolex »

Since the P access instead of S on the blitzers were my idea, I think I can explain it pretty well.

I was contacted by plasmoid who wanted to revisit the team to put them out of the top teams.
I had played them on an experimental tourney and in several test games. I never lost a game.
Most of my opponents had complained they were too good.
If being on of the top 3-5 teams is too good for a custom team, I agree.

I played them in the most competitive way for the old roster: guard and MB spam.
With 8 players with S access they were a kind of less resistant, super fast dwarves with better agility.
With dauntless to take care of high strenght, wrestle for blodgers and fend to annoy slow teams it was a "swiss army knife team".
It could take on all comers.

First thing I thought was that the only way to pull them out of the top tier was to limit S access.
As long as they could spam guard and MB on 8 players, there was no way they could be an "average" team.
One thing I noticed was also the fact that the first to get the guards were the knights.
It's reasonable. Guard has much better sinergy with block then with wrestle.
This led to a playstyle where knights did the guarding and yeomen did most of the blocking.
Yeomen blocks, frees the knight that uses his high movement toassist more yeomen that block, etc....
That playstyle didn't fit the fluff very much, IMO.

So I told Plasmoid that, since either the blitzers or the yeomen had to lose the S access in order to take the team down a peg, I thought it would be better for the blitzers to lose it.
I suggested P access for them because:
-A access would have led to blodge spam (there are more then enough teams for that);
-P led made them good offence players, making the big plays and showing off for the dames;
-in a Bretonnian team the leader must be a knight (having a yeomen or peasant for leader would be fluffwise unthinkable).

It has several consequences:
-the Yeomen stay in the mud doing the dirty job on the behalf of their masters, and the knights run hit and score;
-knight most of the ballplay and show off for the dames (as it should be fluffwise);
-the knight take less obvious and more interesting paths in developing (NOS, Dump-off, frenzy).

On the other changes I cannot speak as they were plasmoid idea.

I don't know if BB2 Brets are the new ones or the old ones. But I hope they are the new.

That's it. Forgive my typos, English is not my native language.