green stuff or milliput?

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

bound for glory
Legend
Legend

green stuff or milliput?

Post by bound for glory »

looks like i have to do some treeman sculpting :( and i'm out of greenstuff.

years ago(mid 1980's) i used MILLIPUT. now, i only used it for gap filling and very basic sculpting. and i mean VERY BASIC. i know i'm no sculpter, and tbh, i'm not interested in becoming one.

i have used gw greenstuff. i really have no opinion on it, tho i did think it was more "sticky" than the milliput i had used, which was the standard yellow/grey.

i would like any opinions on which i should buy, greenstuff or milliput? if not of any other consideration, the milliput was more product for the money.

any thoughts?

Reason: ''
Rick Sanchez lives!
MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Re: green stuff or milliput?

Post by MattDakka »

I tried both milliput and green stuff, I found milliput better because it's less sticky, less expensive and easier to use to fill the gaps.

bound for glory
Legend
Legend

thanks, matt. :D

Rick Sanchez lives!
spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

Normal milliput is very gritty, though you can get finer stuff but I think it is more expensive. One advantage is that you can sand it after it has cured and get a very smooth surface, which is tougher with greenstuff. This can be a disadvantage though as greenstuff remains a bit bendy after it has cured so is less likely to crack or come off.

If you are just wanting to add a bark texture then milliput is probably good enough, for any kind of detail you would want greenstuff.

Oh and if going for greenstuff as always avoid GW, you can get it much, much cheaper from e-bay.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
bound for glory
Legend
Legend

well, i'm looking at making a new arm for a treeman, and maybe making a few catching gloves for some catcher figures.
milliput ok for this kind of sculpting?

Rick Sanchez lives!
Steam Ball
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Steam Ball »

bound for glory
Legend
Legend

thanks, steamball! that helped. i also just ordered MILLIPUT WHITE SUPER FINE from amazon. :D

Rick Sanchez lives!
Steam Ball
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Steam Ball »

Superfine is a lot smoother than the standard, stronger once cured, and not flexible at all (you can mix GS with it, and get a slightly flexible "pale green") like rock or ceramic. Only issue people seem to have is that you have to mix it more, to be sure, as both parts are pretty much the same white, while other Milliputs are two colors before mixing.

And as said above: don't buy GS from GW. You can get it from other repackers like GaleForce9, or under the original brand, Kneadatite Blue/Yellow.

bound for glory
Legend
Legend

so did i do right by ordering the super fine milliput, steamball? like i said, in the mid 1980's i used the standard milliput(yellow/grey) and that worked out ok. i just figured i'd get the super fine, as the reviews said it was a better product for miniatures. as opposed to the standard, which people say is "more corse"...

Rick Sanchez lives!
Steam Ball
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Steam Ball »

Yeah, easier to do small things instead of fighting the putty, and you can always use an old toothbrush or sandpaper if you need a rough surface.