NAF Presidential Election

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

PercyTheTroll
Veteran
Veteran

Re: NAF Presidential Election

Post by PercyTheTroll »

I'm generally bothered by the lack of transparency but only now am I invested enough in the wider community to ask questions.

The podcast appearances have been good but the attitude of everyone is welcome to be part of the NAF that Gaixo and Sann hold is great except that membership is limited to a subset of the whole community as I've previously stated.

Beyond my personal reasons of general bugbear and investment due to starting a Podcast of my own - there is a chance that the NAF is about to be very significant to the future of Blood Bowl in all arenas. The GW announcement places the NAF, as an organisation that represents the players, as a potentially influential organisation. Except that, as the survey showed, the NAF doesn't represent the wider community.

And finally what does it matter if one of the question and answers of this election is open rather than closed? Does the members only nature of the debate add anything to the election or is it just detracting from the engagement of the NAF with non-members?

Reason: ''
Steam Ball
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Steam Ball »

An explanation, as it seems things are getting a bit hot from just two words: when I said "Private area" it was pretty much the same thing than "images don't load" that sometimes happens when permissions are wrong (you try to see an image itself using the browser menu, and it says "not allowed" instead of "does not exist"). Then it went up to 4 pages.

The reasoning is that if you post a link (or pictures) in a public place, I assume you want others to at least read (or see) what you linked, so I thought the issue was wrong permissions. If you want to keep things private, I see no reason to announce it outside of the original place. If it is very important, you probably have some kind of notification system to reach the audience directly, instead of scatter shooting to see if you are lucky and people read other partially related places (TFF in this case) but not the one that matters (NAF in this case).

BTW, good point about foreign reporters being able to ask questions even if they, or their readership, have no vote in the country, or even if elections are far away.

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

The NAF forum is under-used, mostly due to having to be a member to post there, and so it suffers from a vicious circle. Therefore not many people go there, so we get the word out by posting on forums that people do visit, as well as social media. General elections (for example) are not just advertised by posting to the people that can vote, they are also publicised widely, so that some people who are not eligible to vote also know about them.

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
koadah
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by koadah »

So Sann0638,

What do you think of making the Q & A public? Even if view only?

And do the other candidates post on TFF?

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

I am all in favour. But it's not my call. Beppe certainly posts occasionally, I assume Tlawson does.

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
koadah
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by koadah »

Wha has the authority? Beppe?

As the Media Officer maybe you should take it up with him. :orc:

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

It's a committee decision. One for the new website.

NAF Ex-President
NAF Data wrangler
Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

Steam Ball wrote:BTW, good point about foreign reporters being able to ask questions even if they, or their readership, have no vote in the country, or even if elections are far away.
Unfortunately it's not a good point, it's a strawman. There's nothing stopping you asking the candidates questions. Their names are sann0638, beppe, and tlawson. Drop them a line or post in the NAF section. Or read their statements on the NAF front page, where they've been published for the first time. Or listen to the bacon wrapped skulls and ones podcast which sann has directed you towards. Or just get ask someone to repost all the Q&A here. I've already said I agree that it would be great if this was in the open, and maybe the next one will be. You'll appreciate that it's not the main problem here though, which in my personal view is that the forum we have is crap and way too much of it is inexplicably inaccessible to the casual player.

My basic point still holds. If you genuinely want to drive changes in the way the NAF works and expand the appeal the NAF has to the community as a whole, your best options are to either get involved working on one of the key projects the NAF has in flight, or sign up for a vote and exert your democratic rights - it's a members club, and it's no secret how they work.

League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co
Steam Ball
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Steam Ball »

Shteve0 wrote:
Steam Ball wrote:BTW, good point about foreign reporters being able to ask questions even if they, or their readership, have no vote in the country, or even if elections are far away.
It's not a good point, it's a strawman.
Pardon? What the reporters do (or what "audience" do, if being picky) is metaphorically what people were discussing, and what at least sann and you are OK with. It started as a press conference without questions... or even declarations until the candidates' text was provided. While others (TFFers, no idea if also NAFers) think it was fine that only members should take part even if non members were contacted. :-? Canard (as in the bird and then change the first letter), and all this for saying it looked like the link had an error.
Shteve0 wrote:There's nothing stopping you asking the candidates questions. Their names are sann0638, beppe, and tlawson. Drop them a line or post in the NAF section. Or read their statements on the NAF front page, where they've been published for the first time. Or listen to the bacon wrapped skulls and ones podcast which sann has directed you towards. Or just get ask someone to repost all the Q&A here. I've already said I agree that it would be great if this was in the open, and maybe the next one will be. You'll appreciate that it's not the main problem here though, which in my personal view is that the forum we have is crap and way too much of it is inexplicably inaccessible to the casual player.
My basic point still holds. If you genuinely want to drive changes in the way the NAF works and expand the appeal the NAF has to the community as a whole, your best options are to either get involved working on one of the key projects the NAF has in flight, or sign up for a vote and exert your democratic rights - it's a members club, and it's no secret how they work, you become a member and you get an equal say in how it's run. It's your decision to make as to whether you're part of changing the NAF or not.
This, without the other phrase, would had sounded way better.

As for unnaccesible... probably a forum setting, it looks like a phpBB board (with a wrapper or companion... Wordpress maybe?) and parts are accesible already. Random example http://member.thenaf.net/index.php?name ... pic&t=6049 So maybe all you have is to tell whoever is in charge of subforum 13 to click somewhere. If you change the site, people will be in the same situation: staff must learn how to control it, and have clear who is in charge of what. No silver bullets.

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Yeah, we could change how it works (and do know how), but it would be a committee ratification and not sensibly done half way through an election. Personally, I never thought twice about joining the NAF because it was cheap, you get cool stuff and it is to do with BB. Win.

I think it comes down to if you think the NAF is relevant, join, read, ask questions and vote. If you don't, don't. But it would be great if you did, as the barrier to entry is pretty low and you get shinies!

NAF Ex-President
NAF Data wrangler
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

NAF Ex-President
NAF Data wrangler
Kaiowas
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Kaiowas »

reupped my membership to vote

i think this is going to be a very important year for BB

frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

Kaiowas wrote:
i think this is going to be a very important year for BB
Yup!

With the potential of the re-released BloodBowl looming in the background, good luck :|

I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
Heff
Dwarf fetishist

Post by Heff »

Well done Mike

Heff...Keeping the Dwarf (and lego) hate alive
If you cannot stall out for an 8 turn drive to score with dwarves then you need to go and play canasta with your dad..if you can find him.
JaM
Legend
Legend

Post by JaM »

Congrats!