New FW Set

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

frogboy
Legend
Legend

Re: New FW Set

Post by frogboy »

YES! For once I AM RIGHT!!! :lol:

Unless you like big boards... :o

Reason: ''
I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
Colin
Legend
Legend

Post by Colin »

I like BIG BOARDS, I cannot lie...

Baby got BOARD! :wink:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

As long as the squares are big enough for the models to fit in while prone, I'm okay with a big board. Hope they go back to the 2 square EZ too (not likely, but I can dream). :wink:

GO STAMPEDERS!
Olaf the Stout
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Olaf the Stout »

People do realise that they can use their own bases. They don't have to use the bases that come with the mini if they don't want to. Impact sells packs of 25mm bases that could base a whole team plus sideline minis for a few dollars.

Steam Ball
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Steam Ball »

The issue is not that you could change the base (so they have a lot out of it, because they are designed like they had been stomped down "Mario Bros style"), but what could mean for the game rules. They increase the bases, then decide they can't do a 26*15 board to match and then not just the pass ruler, but the general dynamics, change. Or go half way, change number of squares and still make it huge, so the damn thing does not fit in pubs. See the other thread. viewtopic.php?f=20&t=41951&start=345#p746614 and next two pages at least.

frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

Steam Ball wrote:The issues is not that you could change the base (so they have a lot out of it, because they are designed like they had been stomped down "Mario Bros style"), but what could mean for the game rules. They increase the bases, then decide they can't do a 26*15 board to match and then not just the pass ruler, but the general dynamics, change. See the other thread. viewtopic.php?f=20&t=41951&start=345#p746614 and next two pages at least.

Yeah these threads should get their merge on...

Ask a Canadian, its easy to get around the range ruler problem with one of them templates often printed on a custom board or on the back of a playing card (Like the one we got at the Welsh Open last year :wink: ) as you have already pointed out the problem would be that any change to the number of squares on the pitch would significantly change the dynamics of the game.

Maybe these new figures are just bigger due to them being printed by one of them 3D printers, didn't someone mention that? Then to make them look good they had to increase the size of the miniature to get the detail right. I'm just guessing, I remember reading about these printers a while back and there was some discussion about the quality, perhaps the technology is still not up to printing 28mm... ????

I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
Steam Ball
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Steam Ball »

Sorry, but no more 3D printer excuses. The printers can print 6mm and 10mm and 28mm... it all depends what you feed them. You have to adjust the design to the scale, but not due to the printer (using a good one, and GW has them). Just like you adjust when using epoxy putty. If other brands do great things in 15mm, printed or sculped, plastic or metal, the issue is somewhere else.

frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

So their prices should go down then right? I mean no more expensive molds in that case...

:lol:

Steam Ball
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Steam Ball »

If you mean they will 3D print the models to be sold... no. The prints are used as proofs, or masters in case of resin/metal process. You can see in one of the multiple sites linked that the models are weirdly split into parts (as many recent GW plastics), for plain old injection molding. Price of the mold can be lower, as it will be generated from the 3D data using CNC machines, but not cheap.
So modern tech... price raise! :P

Regash
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Regash »

Now, honestly...
Has anyone ever seen GW lowering prices? :lol:

But what has been reported from that birthday event even scares me more now.
I'm a person who doesn't like house rules and sticks to official rules.
What if they fail so utterly and completely?
Will I find it in my heart to ignore the new set and stick with CRP?

Madsherman
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Madsherman »

Steam Ball wrote:Sorry, but no more 3D printer excuses. The printers can print 6mm and 10mm and 28mm... it all depends what you feed them. You have to adjust the design to the scale, but not due to the printer (using a good one, and GW has them). Just like you adjust when using epoxy putty. If other brands do great things in 15mm, printed or sculped, plastic or metal, the issue is somewhere else.
totally.. However the guy doing the 3D modelling is not the guy who modelled this team
and it shows.. the orc is ok (too big still, though.. look at a BOB from the original set.. or put him next to Morg, even) the thrower, though, is bland in design, brutishly chunky, and his pose is super-boring. I really hope it is a concept sculpt (but I think the concepts they mention in that post is are the drawings.)

"Accept the fact that you're already dead. The sooner you accept that, the sooner you'll be able to function as a halfling is supposed to function: without mercy, without compassion, without remorse. All depends upon it." -Ronyld Spïers
spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

I really hope the exploded view of the orc is not how they are put together. Otherwise that is such a stupid way to do it.

If the players all have separate heads and arms or even torsos and legs then it opens up so much greater of a variety of poses. Not to mention easy conversions with their fantasy or 40K equivalents to maybe encourage gamers to get them for their armies.

Hopefully this is just because it is the starter set and they want to have them all in set poses like Space hulk, then the later teams will be multi-pose.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

spubbbba wrote:I really hope the exploded view of the orc is not how they are put together. Otherwise that is such a stupid way to do it.

If the players all have separate heads and arms or even torsos and legs then it opens up so much greater of a variety of poses. Not to mention easy conversions with their fantasy or 40K equivalents to maybe encourage gamers to get them for their armies.

Hopefully this is just because it is the starter set and they want to have them all in set poses like Space hulk, then the later teams will be multi-pose.
That's very true, but most box sets come with set poses though :( to make it easier for newbies to start playing the game with little modelling skills.

Likewise i hope this will just be the case of the starter set. If at all...

Steam Ball
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Steam Ball »

It could be the way they are, multipart single pose. They design something, then figure how to cut it so the molds work. They have done it a lot with many other things. Good designs look as resin or metal (as if they had undercuts), bad designs look bad and don't benefit from multi pose.

The rumor mentioned some pages ago (or in the other thread... what a mess... yes, other viewtopic.php?f=20&t=41951&start=345#p746628 ) is that other teams would not be plastic but resin.

frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

If they are resin then don't know, don't have any FW resin models at home but i'm guessing that they would be single pose too :(

Saebelsultan
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Saebelsultan »

Regash wrote:Now, honestly...
Has anyone ever seen GW lowering prices? :lol:
Actually, I kinda have just recently. I picked up a bottle of Agrax Earthshade. My dealer of choice had a bottle with twice the ink but at less than half the price AND it was the regular GW retail price. So yes, they have lowered the price of the product.

"This game is too good not to be played!" - Coach Pauli
Blood Bowl Beginner Kit
Saebelsultan's BB Dugouts