Blood Bowl back at Warhammer World

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Olaf the Stout
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Blood Bowl back at Warhammer World

Post by Olaf the Stout »

Regash wrote:
frogboy wrote:not about who can break the rules to produce the most statistical way of winning the cup :-?
But this is exactly what a lot of veteran players will likely do!
Most people are so keen on winning and the fact that in about 6 months nobody will ever ask HOW you've won that event will end up in a scenario like that.

I don't know who had the brilliant idea to make 2 completions worth the same amount of points as an interception or a casualty or 3 of them as much as a touchdown.
I can already imagine half the teams to be elves as this ruleset favors AG-teams a lot. You can pass the ball easily as bot thrower and receiver have AG 4 and, other than dwarf or orc, can score quickly if they choose to.
Think about it! A hard earned touchdown from some orcs can be equalized by just 3 passes from elves!

I'm so glad that there always was the phrase "for this event" when they pointed out rule changes from the CRP.
Let's pray this won't get permanent when BB is re-released...
I hope whoever came up with the rules has absolutely no say in any rule changes to Blood Bowl.

Reason: ''
frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

Well its only temporary rules changes according to the pack so maybe no changes at all in the next edition, or this could be a test to see how "the fans" (Loose description based on attendance) find the changes :-?

I tell you one good thing to come out of these rule changes is that, its going to make the game more varied if they do become permanent. There will be many new tactics to win games and not just the 2-1 drive vs shooting the gap.

I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

I had no intention of going and those rules just strengthens (SP!) that feeling. Someone should not be able to win a tournament while potentially losing 6 games.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
harvestmouse
Star Player
Star Player

Post by harvestmouse »

frogboy wrote:I think this event is all about trying to revive an old game and show it off to new players and give them a chance to have fun, not about who can break the rules to produce the most statistical way of winning the cup :-?
This is my view too. I think too many people are looking at this as a rival to a NAF tournament. GW has a totally different aim in what it wants to provide.

It is what it is. A bit of fun, showcasing what BB is about. Rather look at it negatively, look at it as a chance to demonstrate the game and introduce/recruit another generation of gamers.

I think if coaches play the tournament in the spirit of how it's intended. It'll be a lot more rewarding than looking at strategies to game the rulepack (which in truth wouldn't be hard) for a cheap £2 plastic trophy (whooobloodyhooo).

Heff
Dwarf fetishist

Post by Heff »

Some people go to tournaments to win the tournament. If there are ways to exploit the rules (Oh look 10 guard dwarf teams at cake) the rules will be exploited.

This ruleset will not "show the newbies how fun the game is" Instead they are likely to go away frustrated at how broken it is. I mean the guy who won it just passed the ball in the backfield 15 times for 5 games and fouled every turn of the second half with one random player against anyone he could reach in the hope of being sent off and getting another tourney point. Given that you have a 1/6 chance of being sent off and that you don't care if you injure the other guy you are almost guaranteed 2 points a match from that wheeze alone.

Take elves, have a thrower and a catcher in the backfield, give the thrower catch and the catcher throw (hell burn a double on it) in your drive pick up with one and pass to the other who then hands back the ball. the probability of that going wrong is 1/81 or something silly. that's 8 points. If you want to be clever then the last pass is to a guy in scoring range to make 4 points in turn 8 =11 points.

If you cannot steal the ball in the other guys drive then you foul to get your 2 sent off. 13 points a game, I am well up table.

I would do it with High elves 1 thrower 2 catchers 13 linemen and 2 re-rolls just in case. AG4 and resilience, not much attack but frankly who cares with that fouling bench.

The problem is that if you create a ruleset for asshats the asshats will come. Some will be trying to win the first one at WHW for years, some will be there to "Prove" how broken the ruleset is. All will hide behind the shield of "it not being illegal under the ruleset"

Stupid but thats GW for you.

Heff...Keeping the Dwarf (and lego) hate alive
If you cannot stall out for an 8 turn drive to score with dwarves then you need to go and play canasta with your dad..if you can find him.
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Created a traditional tournament post here: http://talkfantasyfootball.org/viewtopi ... 16#p751516

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

My plan fwiw is to win all 5 games in a good spirit. If I don't win the tournament as a result of that, meh.

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
harvestmouse
Star Player
Star Player

Post by harvestmouse »

Heff wrote:This ruleset will not "show the newbies how fun the game is" Instead they are likely to go away frustrated at how broken it is.

The problem is that if you create a ruleset for asshats the asshats will come. Some will be trying to win the first one at WHW for years, some will be there to "Prove" how broken the ruleset is. All will hide behind the shield of "it not being illegal under the ruleset"

Stupid but thats GW for you.
Valid points.

Heff
Dwarf fetishist

Post by Heff »

sann0638 wrote:My plan fwiw is to win all 5 games in a good spirit. If I don't win the tournament as a result of that, meh.
Which is another data point in you not being an asshat :D

If you cannot stall out for an 8 turn drive to score with dwarves then you need to go and play canasta with your dad..if you can find him.
Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

Heff wrote:
sann0638 wrote:My plan fwiw is to win all 5 games in a good spirit. If I don't win the tournament as a result of that, meh.
Depends on your definition and starting suppositions.... He may not "power game" this one, but he is still balls-in-purse and actively collaborating with the entities that contemptuously and violently ran roughshod over our community and members....

Chamberlain and Quisling are grinning in their graves....

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

The NAF's a democracy. Want to take it in a different direction and tell GW to shove it? Stand for election!

NAF Ex-President
NAF Data wrangler
Heff
Dwarf fetishist

Post by Heff »

Digger Goreman wrote:
Heff wrote:
Depends on your definition and starting suppositions.... He may not "power game" this one, but he is still balls-in-purse and actively collaborating with the entities that contemptuously and violently ran roughshod over our community and members....

Chamberlain and Quisling are grinning in their graves....
Wow that was unnecessary. We play with toys ffs.

Regash
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Regash »

Digger Goreman wrote:...but he is still balls-in-purse and actively collaborating with the entities that contemptuously and violently ran roughshod over our community and members...
Isn't working with GW to get really official stuff what we SHOULD do?

Sure, they probably haven't made the best decisions in the past but working AGAINST them will only crumble up the community even more.

Jimmy Fantastic
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jimmy Fantastic »

Olaf the Stout
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Olaf the Stout »