Weird Email - Blood Bowl Tournaments (reference guide)

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

ddancer
Experienced
Experienced

Post by ddancer »

Anyone else getting an unsolicited email from bbreferees@gmail.com (Ernst von Aaken)?

I got one this morning with a PDF attachment - the message reads:
Hello !

Here is a document about Blood Bowl Tournaments, that could be worth sharing among the Fantasy Football community...
Not a virus, I swear !! Just a reference guide created by a fan... :)

If you know about any other official Tournament to be added, do not hesitate to share in return. Long live Blood Bowl !

Best Regards,

Ernst von Aaken
B.B. Referee Commission
I didn't open the attachment and deleted the email. Anyone getting these things? How'd they get my email?

Reason: ''
Co-Commissioner of the PBBL
Home to the School of Block
http://pbbl.uhearttrollgate.com
Stout Youngblood
Super Star
Super Star

Re: Weird Email - Blood Bowl Tournaments (reference guide)

Post by Stout Youngblood »

I received and did the same thing you did (not open the attachment and deleted the email). No clue as to how they got my email address, either.

ddancer
Experienced
Experienced

Post by ddancer »

Well, I got an answer as to where they got my email address:
Hello,
Your email address is listed in the "Leagues Locator" (NAF).

Ernst

2016-02-11 15:46 GMT+01:00 Bryan Himebaugh

I'm sorry, who are you? Where did you get my email address?

mikeyc222
Star Player
Star Player

Post by mikeyc222 »

well, there is currently another thread going on as to where someone got personal email addresses of people... maybe this explains it...

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive.

ddancer
Experienced
Experienced

Post by ddancer »

mikeyc222 wrote:well, there is currently another thread going on as to where someone got personal email addresses of people... maybe this explains it...
Yeah, I thought of that too. I put up a post on the NAF Forums to see what they can do about masking the email addresses on the Locator.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

mikeyc222 wrote:well, there is currently another thread going on as to where someone got personal email addresses of people... maybe this explains it...
Nope, as I didn't get either email, but my address is on the NAF league locator.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

I'll look into this urgently.

League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co
ddancer
Experienced
Experienced

Re:

Post by ddancer »

Shteve0 wrote:I'll look into this urgently.
Thank you sir!

Regash
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Regash »

I'm not even a NAF member anymore for years and the adress from back then doesn't exist anymore..
So no, Goblin Guild must have another source.

Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

ddancer wrote:
Shteve0 wrote:I'll look into this urgently.
Thank you sir!
Cool, Lucas is looking at this, we'll see what can be done.

League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co
Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

I believe they should now be suppressed. A direct messaging system for league contacts is in the pipeline for future development.

ddancer
Experienced
Experienced

Re:

Post by ddancer »

Shteve0 wrote:I believe they should now be suppressed. A direct messaging system for league contacts is in the pipeline for future development.
The quick response is very much appreciated, Shteve0!

Darkson
Da Spammer

Re:

Post by Darkson »

Shteve0 wrote:I believe they should now be suppressed. A direct messaging system for league contacts is in the pipeline for future development.
Are you able to put them back on for leagues that request it? The email on ours is specifically just for the club so I'm not worried if it's visible or not.
And as I said, I (or the club) have not received that email, so I'm a bit dubious they were "harvested" from the NAF page.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

I can check, for sure.

I'll also talk to the other committee chaps over the next week or so about whether we need to bring in some help to look at our policies around user data and privacy (I have someone in mind). I think it's probably a good idea to confirm compliance and good practice on this reasonably regularly.

WeeManBiggins
Experienced
Experienced

Post by WeeManBiggins »

Scanned the email and the attachment, all clean. Good bit of collected fluff history which is another reason I love this game.

I emailed him about sending out the email. While I have the leagues email listed on the league locator and our main website, I did flag up that some commissioners may use (and it looked like) personal email addresses and they may or may not be worried that their email address is being spread around in what at first looked to be spam. I did suggest to him that in future he should at least hide the email address so recipients cannot see the other email address.

After sending this I did have a thought that if he wanted to share this information he would of been better off to start a topic here on the forums and make a sort of newsletter/subscription up, or ask for permission to send the information out to the listed email addresses if he only wanted league commissioners to have it.

I'm sure the chap sent this in good faith and didn't realize good security protocols and will surely learn this in the future.

HDWSBBL Commissioner