Close up pic of a painted new Orc Thrower

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Regash
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Re: Close up pic of a painted new Orc Thrower

Post by Regash »

nonumber wrote:I've seen 3rd party models come out that look like something I could sculpt myself out of bluetac and people are falling over themselves to join the kick starter.
GW come out with their first model for blood bowl which is a perfectly nice model and everyone's like "meh the face is kinda weird what base is it on"
You are being a bit unfair here, I think.

If or if not a miniature is great, good or bad depends solely on one thing: Your personal taste!

Everyone and their kids is praising Franacilla to be a very good sculptor. And yes, he is.
But I've yet to see a miniature sculpted by him that I go crazy about.
Everyone and their neighbor thinks that Pedro Ramos is a great sculptor. And yes, he is.
And I do go crazy about most of his work. Not all of his work, though.

Base size is just seomething people are worried about, as I (and probably many others) won't put it past GW to make a change in base size to force us to buy the new boxed set.
They have changed everything for WHFB when they turned it into AoS. And most people don't want that to happen to Blood Bowl.

Reason: ''
Wifflebat
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Wifflebat »

The base size thing does concern me a bit, I guess, not so much because I'm worried about buying new pitches (which I probably should be), but because I don't want to be in a situation where the new human team playing 3rd edition humans looks like humans vs. ogres. That said, I'm not sure this is a photo of a mini on a base--the thrower isn't mounted in a way that you'd mount a mini on an actual base; he's so far back! I suspect that this is maybe a mocked-up photo and may not be terribly useful for scale comparison. I could be wrong, of course, but what an odd way to base him if not...

I was Puzzlemonkey, but now I'm Wifflebat. Please forward my mail...
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

There was/is a pic on BoLS of the orc thrower model (and a human) unpainted, and it was on a 32mm base.
I'll see if I can find it.

[Edit] http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2016/01/ ... ulpts.html

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

Regash wrote: If or if not a miniature is great, good or bad depends solely on one thing: Your personal taste!

That’s not strictly true.

As Bloodbowl models are inspired by things that have a basis in reality there is a technical aspect to the sculpts. You can look at two sculpts of a human player and see that one of them is technically better; the proportions of the body, how clear the detail is or cleanness of lines, etc. Even mutants, daemons and monsters still have things like scales, fur and claws that are inspired by features we see on creatures in the real world.

Where opinion comes in is with the composition of the model, how it is designed or the pose adopted. It is certainly possible to say that a model is better sculpted than another, but you still prefer the other one.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

I was at Adepticon last week and my booth was next to Forge World who fly over from the UK for Adepticon so I was able to talk to them during a few down moments (and give them suggestions on local good eats). Forge World do amazingly well at Adepticon so that moments were few ... they broke 100k GBP in sales for the 4 days ... very impressive given the total attendance at Adepticon (just over 3000 attendees this year). (I made $5k USD and was pretty happy with the result from the convention).

ANYWAY ... they definitely confirmed that "the Blood Bowl figures are being designed to work with 30mm bases." That was a quote ... he said 30mm not 32mm for what that is worth.

I had a 30mm base made for Blood Bowl big guys many years ago to help get big guys on the pitch so scary to think that might be the new standard. AoS already double the sales of the 30mm bases over the last few months so it definitely appears the directly GW is heading.

Tom

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
DinoTitanedition
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by DinoTitanedition »

You can look at two sculpts of a human player and see that one of them is technically better; the proportions of the body
That would be, if we would play realistic football, not fantasy football, right? Or do you think an orc has realistic proportions? Well, I haven`t seen an orc in my life so far. Just some people who might be close to it ;)

Personally I like the thrower a lot. The paintjob shows, what most people don`t really seem to use, paint on some additional detail, like lines or small logohints. The model itself has a fairly recognizable footballish pose. The face seems to have stronger inspiration by the 40 Flash Gitz. They have about equal faces. I`ll post a picture of a blackorc fan I`ve made recently for comparison these days.

The thing I actually dislike a bit, is the ball. Almost some pieces too many it is stitched of together. Other than that I only miss the helmet. But that can be modeled quite easyly.

spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

DinoTitanedition wrote:
That would be, if we would play realistic football, not fantasy football, right? Or do you think an orc has realistic proportions? Well, I haven`t seen an orc in my life so far. Just some people who might be close to it ;)
If you look at the start and beginning of the paragraph you quoted you will see where I explained this.
spubbbba wrote: As Bloodbowl models are inspired by things that have a basis in reality there is a technical aspect to the sculpts. You can look at two sculpts of a human player and see that one of them is technically better; the proportions of the body, how clear the detail is or cleanness of lines, etc. Even mutants, daemons and monsters still have things like scales, fur and claws that are inspired by features we see on creatures in the real world.
Whilst an Orc has different proportions to a human (longer arms, shorter legs, broader shoulders and a stooped pose) it still has a very recognisable humanoid shape, it has skin, muscles, bones and ligaments similar to real living organisms. It is also roughly symetrical, if the arms were different sizes and shapes from each other or 1 leg was twice the length of the other then you would notice.
The same is true for the other made up creatures, whilst no such thing as a snow troll or Kroxigor exists you could compare how the fur or scales of large creatures in our world look to those sculpted on models.
In fact GW even has a definitive style for their orcs, with 100's of models produced over the years and even books showing the biology of orcs and other creatures in their worlds. Otherwise how would you be able to tell an orc from a goblin, dwarf, slann, skaven or troll?

Similarly the equipment worn by players such as shoulder, elbow or knee pads and boots, helmets and belts will all look much like things that exist in our world. A wobbly belt, poorly sculpted cloth of a sleeve or bendy spike will make a model look bad.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
Sainthropee
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Sainthropee »

GalakStarscraper wrote:I was at Adepticon last week and my booth was next to Forge World who fly over from the UK for Adepticon so I was able to talk to them during a few down moments (and give them suggestions on local good eats). Forge World do amazingly well at Adepticon so that moments were few ... they broke 100k GBP in sales for the 4 days ... very impressive given the total attendance at Adepticon (just over 3000 attendees this year). (I made $5k USD and was pretty happy with the result from the convention).

ANYWAY ... they definitely confirmed that "the Blood Bowl figures are being designed to work with 30mm bases." That was a quote ... he said 30mm not 32mm for what that is worth.

I had a 30mm base made for Blood Bowl big guys many years ago to help get big guys on the pitch so scary to think that might be the new standard. AoS already double the sales of the 30mm bases over the last few months so it definitely appears the directly GW is heading.

Tom

it is strange, because they sold 25 mm and 32 mm at they store... is strange don't make a unification of all the bases that they are selling for all the games (AoS, bloodbowl etc)

"Vice is a miscalculation in the pursuit of happiness"
(J. Bentham)
Madsherman
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Madsherman »

I really dislike the size creep.. But I think and hope that it in the end just will mean that more people will play CRP with 3rd party figs instead of whatever new thing GW conjures up.

"Accept the fact that you're already dead. The sooner you accept that, the sooner you'll be able to function as a halfling is supposed to function: without mercy, without compassion, without remorse. All depends upon it." -Ronyld Spïers
Sainthropee
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Sainthropee »

Madsherman wrote:I really dislike the size creep.. But I think and hope that it in the end just will mean that more people will play CRP with 3rd party figs instead of whatever new thing GW conjures up.

I hope that too, the change of bases probably bring a new field (30 mm in the actual 29mm squares will not not work).

The game always could be play as it is now, and if the field change and is bigger but the same number of square, it's not a big problem I think. The main problem is if the squares changes.

third party figs, will adapt to the changes and will be there in the future, I believe.

"Vice is a miscalculation in the pursuit of happiness"
(J. Bentham)
DinoTitanedition
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Similarly the equipment worn by players such as shoulder, elbow or knee pads and boots, helmets and belts will all look much like things that exist in our world. A wobbly belt, poorly sculpted cloth of a sleeve or bendy spike will make a model look bad.
Spubbbba, we think alike regarding the equipment. As for the anatomy of an orc, I`d say it`s a simple evolution of style. Take a look at 80`s orcs, with their famous big chins. That style evolved further in the 90`s and now we have a different one again, matching the Flash Gitz rather then for example the orcs from the last BB boxed set.

All I`m saying is, that the view about the look of an orc should probably be less strict. As far as I know the only thing that orcs have in common, is green skincolor, wich is in fact an idea by a former GW employee, who painted his army with green skin. That was later on adapted for the orcs in general. Third party producers at least seem to have a rather relaxed point of view as well, when they sculpt their orc models.

I hope that too, the change of bases probably bring a new field (30 mm in the actual 29mm squares will not not work).

The game always could be play as it is now, and if the field change and is bigger but the same number of square, it's not a big problem I think. The main problem is if the squares changes.
I actually really hope they make the squares bigger (not the amount of squares on the field, just their size) since believe, that they are way too small for a long time already. I know that in Canada leagues are played with 40mm sized squares, wich is quite cool I think. Not only do you have more space for the minis, it also creates a feeling of "fast" and "slow" when you move more or less fields. Optically a nice field on a mousepadmaterial with 40mm squares would be great for the current version of the game, fitting even the big guys.

But before I start to create a new 3D field, or have one made with my preferences, I guess I`ll just wait until I see the new box content.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Having played a game at our club last night, and with the new set in mind, I had a look at our tables, and I really hope they don't make the pitch bigger (or if they do, they keep the number of squares the same).

Our tables mean that there is a minimal overhang on each end-zone (couple of mm) - if they make the pitch bigger, we'd have to place the pitches horizontally (Fumbbl style) on the table, which would halve the number of coaches we could host for our tournament (because we'd go from 2 pitches per table to one, and we don't have the tables or space to double the number of tables) and I really don't like playing sideways on - I can do it for online play (PBeM, the few Fumbbl games I played) but it feels "wrong" whenever I've done it for tabletop.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Sandwich
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Sandwich »

Never mind size creep, mini style, or whatever... why on earth does a Gouged Eye player have BLUE KIT?? :pissed:

Stunty Cup: NAFC 2014, WISB IV
Most TDs: Cambridge Doubles 2011, Carrot Crunch VI, Boudica Bowl
Wooden Spoon: STABB Cup 2
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Why not? Many teams in Blood Bowl have changed their kit (Marauders for example) - new owners, new kit (like Cardiff in the real world).

DinoTitanedition
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

I guess it`s supposed to be black, but something blueish, like Haweye Turquoise is mixed in to harmonize bettere with the skintone. 101 painting tricks.

But....I do not see that to be of too much importance. Everyone paints the toys according to their taste I guess.