Close up pic of a painted new Orc Thrower

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Re: Close up pic of a painted new Orc Thrower

Post by rolo »

I guess rules that everyone can be happy with, and a new field and figures which are just a little bit too large for my table, are better than the other way round.

I absolutely would have bought it at 28mm scale. I still might buy the bigger stuff, but I'll hold off for now.

Reason: ''
"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
TheAzman
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TheAzman »

sann0638 wrote:Yep. Fru-fru ftw.

What a relief!! :-D

Now, I'll get the box set and sell off the teams because large minis (for me) are :puke:

Winning... it beats losing.
mikeyc222
Star Player
Star Player

Post by mikeyc222 »

anyone else noticed the tabs on the bottom of the balls, and the holes in the tops of some bases? that would make it easier to keep the ball with the current ball carrier...

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive.

rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

mikeyc222 wrote:anyone else noticed the tabs on the bottom of the balls, and the holes in the tops of some bases? that would make it easier to keep the ball with the current ball carrier...
I use magnets. But still, good idea.

mikeyc222
Star Player
Star Player

Post by mikeyc222 »

LOTS more pics and information on this page.

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive.

spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

mikeyc222 wrote:LOTS more pics and information on this page.
It looks like the boxed set will come with only 24 models, 2 teams of 12. I fear they are not going to be complete teams either as it looks like 2 of each positional and 6 linemen.

I do like the images of upcoming stuff though, the dwarfs look good and the concepts are interesting for the Elves. It will be nice to get a proper Nurgle team as well since the earlier version was based on the old team. The pestigors and rotters were decent but they didn't do nurgle warriors or a beast.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
Steam Ball
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Steam Ball »

GalakStarscraper wrote:
Darkson wrote:New pitch is bigger, 32mm squares I believe. Models are bigger scale to.
Is there anyway to confirm the size of the squares for certain? I can put some gears in motion but only if I know the exact scale.
If using same squares than for the Warhammer Quest, it must be 33-34. But that is a visual guess assuming all the bases are 32mm. Not worth risking money for now.
Steam Ball wrote:Related: Warhammer Quest has been Sigmarited
In any case, what I said somewhere else, reaction speed in 2016 (and even earlier) is not what was in the 80s.
spubbbba wrote:It looks like the boxed set will come with only 24 models, 2 teams of 12. I fear they are not going to be complete teams either as it looks like 2 of each positional and 6 linemen.
You can play "find the pairs" game. I did and I agree, no 4 BoB or 4 Blitzers in sight. The design is, IMO, very AoS, or very last years of GW: grotesque (more, more, more, going to 11 is the start). 5th ed humans even look moderate now. And very proportionate. These seem to have 3 heads instead of pauldron. Cyanide design would had been way better (for humans at least).

hutchinsfairy
Experienced
Experienced

Post by hutchinsfairy »

Mostly just overjoyed that they're not going to mess with the rules personally, everything else I can live with. The larger pitch seems like it might work better for our league play where table space doesn't seem to be such an issue.

At least anyone coming into BB via the new box set will be speaking the same language. Perhaps we can tell them that the 3rd edition boards are special tournament ones or even the "Travel" edition...

Steam Ball
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Steam Ball »

Top right orc, using a base of 32, the eyes are ~28mm. Third and fifth from right, ~28mm too. They are bigger in bulk sense and "vital space", not height. Will try to find similar pic for humans or other teams (found render of dwarf but was very distorted, lost location of clearer one).

Edit: refound dwarf one, and had to do one extra step so measures could be way wrong. Design wise, as you can see, the beard ends seem to float the same distance from the ground, but one is curvier than the other. And this is what I mean with grotesque proportions, distance to ground should vary. Or he should axe his barber.
https://warofsigmar.s3.amazonaws.com/up ... /proxy.jpg (too big for forum limits, so link)
Went with 29mm as top of base, that means eyes at 20. But he is leaning like 45-60, not 90 deg. If someone has 32mm bases and calipers, please report top diameter to readjust.

Regash
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Regash »

The new pitch doesn't look to bad and I kind of like the idea to have to designs to choose from.
But then, I just hope that the design not being used will not be scratched by the tables surface over time...

As much as I like the bulky orcs design, I absolutely yawned about the humans.
Also the dwarf was rather... hm... AoS style. Looks way to futuristic, same goes, even more, for the Death Roller.
I'll rather stick with my Iron Forgers! :orc:

I'm not a fan of the templates either.
They do look cool at first glance, I just wonder if the use on the table will be as good as looks.
And, lets face it, most experienced players count squares for a pass anyway, don't they?

And one thing did worry me a bit...
League rules only coming in the first expansion? WTF?!?
And what do they mean, "seven new teams"? My skin curls at the thought of roster changes...
I really hope that they mean "new to newcomers". But why wouldn't they have them in the core rule book?

rolo
Super Star
Super Star

Post by rolo »

Regash wrote:As much as I like the bulky orcs design, I absolutely yawned about the humans.
Funny thing is, I had exactly the opposite reaction, humans look pretty good but the Orcs have the same dumb-looking, irritatingly trashy, "m0ar bigZ!" look that GW orcs have had since Gorkamorka. If someone showed you those minis and said they were kitbashed 40k figures, you'd have believed it.

And with 12 figures, we'll just do the same thing we've done for all Blood Bowl sets - you and a friend each buy one, and trade one of the teams so everyone has one complete team. Maybe I can partner with Regash and trade him the orcs ;)

If they really are 28mm models on 32mm bases, I can just put them on normal-sized bases and nobody has to know. Which just increased my chances of buying the box.

Marlow
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Marlow »

rolo wrote:And with 12 figures, we'll just do the same thing we've done for all Blood Bowl sets - you and a friend each buy one, and trade one of the teams so everyone has one complete team. Maybe I can partner with Regash and trade him the orcs ;)
Either that or sell the teams to people that need them and just keep the board. I already have Orc and Human teams. The talk of them doing other boards (Skaven/Dwarf and Nurgle/Elf) is interesting. If we end up with three possible "starter sets" I would much rather buy a box that has a team I do not already own rather than more useless, to me, Orcs and Humans.
mikeyc222 wrote:anyone else noticed the tabs on the bottom of the balls, and the holes in the tops of some bases? that would make it easier to keep the ball with the current ball carrier...
Indeed! That does seem a nice bonus to helping track the ball. I have used magnets but if only one team has them it is not quite so good. I wonder if it would ruin the asthetics of my existing figures if I drilled a little hole in the base...
GalakStarscraper wrote:
Darkson wrote:New pitch is bigger, 32mm squares I believe. Models are bigger scale to.
Is there anyway to confirm the size of the squares for certain? I can put some gears in motion but only if I know the exact scale.
Tom
Unless someone goes in with a tape measure there is no way to be sure until we have the product. I think it will be six to eight months of people not buying third party products until we have the first production run in the shops.
VoodooMike wrote:
Darkson wrote:Rules and board haven't changed, just the board and pass ruler (and players) scaled up.
We're 100% sure now that the rules won't be changing in the new set, just some additional optional fru-fru?
Seems that way; a Death Zone expansion we can ignore and maybe some nice Skaven/Dwarf figures (depending on what you think of the visuals).

Ne cede melia, Marlow.
Trophies: MBBL Dungeon Bowl Season Nine; Boudica Bowl IV Stunty Cup
Leicester Blood Bowl League - http://www.leicesterbbleague.com/
Regash

Post by Regash »

rolo wrote:Maybe I can partner with Regash and trade him the orcs ;)
That actually depends on me buying the box or not.
Right now, I have no plans of doing so because nothing in there seems to be a must-have.
And I'm pretty sure, not long after release, the teams will also be available on Ebay.

spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

Regash wrote: League rules only coming in the first expansion? WTF?!?
And what do they mean, "seven new teams"? My skin curls at the thought of roster changes...
I really hope that they mean "new to newcomers". But why wouldn't they have them in the core rule book?
It looks like they are following a similar format to 3rd edition where you got 2 teams of 12, basic rules of the game and 6 team rosters. Then deathzone came out with league and advanced rules along with 6 more rosters.

I can't see them making 7 new teams when they've only done a quarter of the existing teams so far. It is interesting that they are doing 7 rather than 6 teams with deathzone, maybe that extra team will be a new one such as Khorne?

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
Regash

Post by Regash »

That actually might be the reason for GW to ask everyone to take down the rules PDF...
They'e trying to eliminate the possibility to "sneak" their way to the other teams as good as they can.
Why else would you buy DZs1?